AUA anyone?

Flashermac

Not something I'd want to do for long term, but an easy way to get to stay here a while. (I think there's a Pattaya branch!)

From Ajarn.com

Date Added : Tuesday, 12th Oct 2004

Job: English teacher

School: AUA Language Center

Province: Bangkok

Tel: 02-252 8171 Ext. 2214

Email: teaching@auathailand.org

Info: AUA is one of the largest and most respected language institutes in Thailand. Teachers at AUA are supported with pre-service orientation, in-service training and support, structured programs and regular hours. Benefits include regular pay every two weeks, health insurance, end of year completion payment. Positions also available in new branch in Nakhon Sithammarat, Songkhla, Korat and Ayuttaya.

• 4 weeks later...
Flashermac said:

AUA has full time staff, who make fairly decent wages. The head of AUA even has embassy status. But the proles do get paid only peanuts.

"Embassy status?" What is that? :)

AUA used to be affiliated with the Embassy, but that stopped around 1996. Nothing to do with the Embassy now. In fact, most Embassy sections would never send its Thai employees to AUA for English lessons. ::

FM-

I recently posted about an opening at my school paying >50K B/month. A lotta guys dismissed it as chump change.

WE now have, for next year: 1 science, 1 math, 1 computer and 2 English positions available, all over 50K THB/month, all Mathayom level.

Doubt I'll find any takers on this board, though :(

BTW, these aren't positions to replace existing teachers- these are new openings because of an expansion of our English Immersion Program.

Original Job Post

I would avoid AUA unless you cant get anything else.

The rate of pay is OK for a lnguage school but not great. More importantly though, they used to ( as of a year ago, but I think they still do it ) teach in 6 week blocks. After the 6 weeks you have 1 weeks holiday - unpaid.

Depending on your schedule this could be ok but a friend of mine was working on 3 different blocks so he never had a real holiday, his week off from one block never coincided with the other 2.

I am quite familar with aua as i worked at the main branch for a year.

It is easy to criticize especially if coming from a real professional and or progressive field/organization.

I left the school more than 3 years ago....

In summary, it was a good work experience especially as i was new to teachiing and it gave me some foundation to gain some teaching skills and practice.

If you are looking for great pay or stimulating environment or a cutting edge school or a place where great minds come together, this is not the place.

My experience was great for that one year and it served my needs. I enjoyed the students more from a social situation than from an challenging intellectual one.

The facilities, policies, leadership/staff, and work mentality is below average for western companies i have experience with but for a language schook in BKK, it serves it purpose.

You make out of it what you want. Most are there to support a lifestle whether one year or many years.

If you live to work, the place is not for you. If work to live, the place is for you IF you have income from different source(s).

And that is where i differ from many aua teachers as i was not dependent on their income for my lifesyle...

Am i glad i did it at the time and place i did it in my life. If one is already a professional/career teacher, i would look elsewhere for better opportunities and self-develeopment needs...

Cardinalblue

Archived