Interesting site

Flashermac

A description of Luang Phibunsongkhram, aka, Field Marshal Phibul (and Japanese Collaborator) from the site:

As Prime Minister, he began increasing the pace of modernisation in Thailand. By clever manipulation of the mass media, Phibun fashioned a semi-fascist regime with ultra-nationalism as its central theme. He and Luang Wichitwathakarn, the Minister of Propaganda, "built up the cult of the leader" throughout 1939 and thereafter. A photograph of Phibun was to be found everywhere (in turn, those of ex-King Prajadhipok disappeared), his slogans were plastered on newpapers and billboards and repeated over the radio.

"Aimed to uplifting the national spirit and moral code of the nation and instilling progressive tendencies and a newness into Thai life", a series of Cultural Mandates were issued by the government.

Why does this sound so familiar?

Sound familiar? Well ... Pibun died in exile in Japan. Hmmm.

p.s. The current national anthem uses words written by Luang Wichit Wattakan. Before Pibun, the King's Song was the national anthem. There have been suggestions that Pibun was trying to make himself a replacement for the monarch. Does that sound familiar???

Nice article,

having lived in Prachuapkirikhan province for some time I was aware that the town was invaded by the Japanese.

Many of the street names in Prachuap are linked to that famous battle.

Prachuap is a lovely town, worth a visit... maybe a day trip as there's not much to do.

Great site Flasher! Much appreciate it. I met two little old ladies a few years back in their family compound near Soi Aree.

Their dad had been in government, very high up (Never found out who) and they still wore Japanese Kiminoes, as after the war they had to livve there for 5 - 10 years.

The house I was trying to rent from them was stunning, solid teak, no windows! Just ffloor to ceiliing louvres!

Designed by a famous Japanese Architect they brought back with them

DOG

Archived