Religion!

Nervous_Dog

Ahh - I bet that got the moderators attention!

No - I am not going to discuss religion, but rather a unusual temple I went too.

Thai3 had pointed out to me in another debate about Hindu temples, and while I have often taken friends and family to the Hindu temples in Singapore, I have never taken them to the one on Silom road.

I have a neice, a nephew, the wife, and a orphan living with us at the moment, so I took them today to see first the Red Cross snake farm (Beggining of Silom, on Rama4)

Very good snake show, but more important tried to explain to them about how they make the antidote, and just how the red cross started.

No idea how successful I was, not very as I got the tones for horse/dog and mother all wrong, suggesting at one stage in Thai to the wife we inject her mother with snake venom! (And adding "Well because she is so big she wont die, and then we get the antidote from her bloood!)

Not sure they even understood Switzerland and their never going to war either!

SO -

Back on topic - I then took them to the Indian temple on Silom.

Amazing experience! As indian temples go nowhere near as good as some in Singapore or India for that matter, but the crowd was wonderful!

They had chinese people, Thai's, Indians, all sorts coming in and praying.

Best of all was seeing two Thai monks come in and pray!

Very colourful, in fact amazingly colourful. The wife and orphan took the long walk around the inner temple, and got a red dot on the forehead.

On the way out I read they are in the middle of a festival, and on 23rd October, they will have a Chariot Process around Sathorn and Silom, at 7pm, called Vijaya Dasiri,

Sounds like something worth seeing!

All in all a very interesting experience.

DOG

Been watching Michael Palins latest series called Himalaya, quite a bit of temple visiting in this so far. Highlights are the Golden Temple in Amritsar and meeting his Holiness in Dharamsala.

There's a great Hindu influence in thai buddhism of course with statues of hindu gods all around. I believe the Rama kings take their name from king Ram in the Ramayana.-peter

Hi Nervous Dog,

No idea how successful I was, not very as I got the tones for horse/dog and mother all wrong, suggesting at one stage in Thai to the wife we inject her mother with snake venom! (And adding "Well because she is so big she wont die, and then we get the antidote from her bloood!)

Hilarious :up:

I am sure you scored a few point with that remark :D

I only once visited a hindu temple in Lopburi with the Kala deity?

Thanks for the recommandation, I`d like to see that as well.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

I have been to that temple as well. My last 'live in' asked if I wanted to go to the temple with her one day, and being the obliging sort, agreed. I was a bit surprised at where we ended up, and asked her why she went to a Hindu Temple. In typical fashion she replied that it didn't matter that she was not Hindu, because this was her 'lucky' temple.

Nice change though from the Wats.

Archived