Pattaya to close at 1 am

eyebee

Apparently the police have been round all the bars in Pattaya tonight to tell them that they will have to close at 1 am (date unspecified) in the near future. The only consequence of this tonight was that Peppermint closed at 2:05 am (instead of 2:30 am), but the beer bars seemed to be open as usual.

I know this is old hat in Bangkok, but Pattaya...!!!

Peppermint say they will be open from 4pm in the future...

I no like!!!

:onfire:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pattaya is very different than Bangkok. Although the night time entertainment industry is certainly very important to Bangkok's economy, Bangkok's economy is not primarily based on that industry. Pattaya's economy very obviously is.

We will need to wait and see what happens. The authorities have been anything but consistent in this area. They have said one thing, but done another.

Recall zoning? Bars inside the zones would be allowed to stay open until 2 am (and possibly later), while those outside the zones could only open from 9 pm until 12 midnight, meaning they would not be economically viable. But what we have actually seen in practice is a sort of a muddled compromise.

eyebee said:

Apparently the police have been round all the bars in Pattaya tonight to tell them that they will have to close at 1 am (date unspecified) in the near future. The only consequence of this tonight was that Peppermint closed at 2:05 am (instead of 2:30 am), but the beer bars seemed to be open as usual.

I know this is old hat in Bangkok, but Pattaya...!!!

Peppermint say they will be open from 4pm in the future...

I no like!!!

:onfire:

I've heard nothing about this. In fact, the last talk was about 4am opening within the zone. Can you substanciate this ?

I've heard from several bar owners now that they have received notices informing them that they have to shut at 1am. However nothing seems to be happening yet as all the bar owners are "testing the waters" to see what the police will do. All gogos are shutting spot on at 2am at the moment when the police appear. However, the beer bars seem to be carrying on as normal. It seems that it is down to the police to enforce the new orders.

I also heard that the new police chief of Pattaya went down to Electric Blue yesterday in civvies and was asking the girls qustions. What this means I do not know.

Following your post, I phoned my business partner in Pattaya today. He told me that the cops were out and about last night and had words with a few places at around 01:45/50am with a view to having people out by 02:10am.

This was on and around Walking Street so I don't know if it spread further afield, say to Sois 7 & 8 etc.

Well, the unthinkable (for Pattaya) has happened. All gogos on Walking Street were shut by the cops at 1am (apparently those in soi Pattayaland 2 were shut last night at 1am). There were a few bars still operating, but they were in darkness outside, and one had to be in the know to get in. Lucifer, Marine Disco and Kilkenny's also had to shut up shop. Walking Street was packed solid with bodies at this time.

The beer bars (including those in sois 7, 8 and 9) had turned off their lights and music (the exception being North Pattaya for some reason), and I've been told that the beer bars will not be able to serve alcohol after 1am from tomorrow.

Does this sound the death knell for Pattaya? :onfire:

Not unexpected news IMO.

It's the annual time of year for crackdowns, plus the impending elections next year.

Expect a lot more of this over the next few months as the powers that be consolidate their position.

Archived