Is it Really Worth Making a Trip to Bangkok Now?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As you have opened numerous threads describing how bad things are, why is it you seem to continue going back to the very places you complain of so much?
I expected this sort of response. I will try to reply to your your comments and the similiar comments I have see seen thus far into this one reply.

Why do I "continue going back"? I am not going anywhere. I live here, and have lived here for over 10 years. This is my home. And when things are amiss at home, I think I shoud be able to describe how they are amiss, even when that home is Thailand.

If you read my post carefully, you will see that I am simply describing the situation as it is and then separately describing how the current situation makes me feel. I keep the two separate. I expressly state that different people will give different weight to the things I mention.

I am not telling people to avoid Thailand or complaining. Rather, after describing the situation as it is, I can't help but wonder if I would make the investment of time and money to come here if I lived in the US or Europe. When you look at how much Bangkok has changed in recent times, this is a question well worth asking.

I recognize that this bothers some people, and I have to wonder why. But it is impossible for anyone who lives here, is familiar with Bangkok's nightlife and is honest about matters, to deny that there have been unprecedented changes in Bangkok's nightlife over the last year or so. This cannot be legitimately denied, and I am not the first one to make the points set out in my first post here. Indeed, my first post above really does nothing more than pull together and summarize what many others have already said.

As one who is quite often asked that question (should I come) I normally try and be positive. However I think there are two issues now that would make it difficult for me to be positive.

After last Monday the general view is not if a bomb goes off in Bangkok, but when will?

I am beginning to get really fed up with 1 am closing. I could handle 2 am but 1 am is too early.

The other issue which come sin with urine tests and passports is that Toxin?s authoritarian rule has empowered the police. In the old days I felt a honoured visitor: now I fell a suffered visitor.

Bangkok is not a great a great place to visit anymore: I am not sure about Pattaya as things are changing but it is probably more user friendly: so is Phonm Pehn and Manila and even Singapore and some people rate KL: r if you are in Europe the Dominican Republic and by the sounds of a news report today Prague.

As they say: Up to you!

If your point of comparison is January, IMHO, it is worse, but not as bad as it would seem to be if your last visit was in February 2003. But you are right: the change from Feb 2003 to Jan 2004 was significant, which is why I have been somewhat general in my description of the time frame. Although I probably didn't state it clearly enough, I am really referring to the cumlative changes that have occurred over the last few years.

As for specifics over the last year, maybe this will help provide a very rough measure. As you say, in January 2004 most bars closed at 1:30 am - 1:45 am. Now it's generally 1 am, and sometimes a bit later, although about a month or so back there were closing as early as midnight. I don't want to attach too much significance to 45 minutes of time, but it is an easy, albeit very general, measure of how things have changed.

What is harder to measure is the political situation and the possibility of more problems from the South.

I honestly don't know what will happen in the months to come. I am good friends with an ex BG now mama-san who, besides still being stunningly beautiful, is married to a cop and was seriously considering opening an upscale go go type establishment in the lower Sukhumvit area (she also has a much older Japanese boyfriend who seems to be very generous). She decided to hold-off because her husband has been told that after New Year's, the bars will have to close by midnight. On the other hand, she said that because of the economic harm the changes are causing for the thousands who depend on Bangkok's nightlife for their livelihood , maybe things will change. Maybe they will. I certainly hope so.

For whatever reason, negative, but accurate, descriptions of the changes to Bangkok's nightlife bother Suadam. I see frustration in his posts more than anything else. No problem

Gadfly .... overall I believe your description is accurate, especially for those who only venture to LOS once a year and particularly for those you haven't made the pilgrimage for a couple of years.

No doubt old hands such as Suadum, see it differently as they are far more capable in the scene than the casual visitor. And since their is yet to be a uniform enforcement of an often confusing and transient set of rules, then great nights can still occur, rules can seem to be non-exisistant in given venues on given nights. But the changes that you sum up are still in place, just not here, not tonight.

Interesting the comment from the cop that you mention. It would seem highly likely IMO for the powers to be to ramp up enforcement or the new rules and policies as the election approaches. Agaiin, old hands may easily have alternatives, but the casual sanuker will definately see a big change.

Gadfly:

Closing go go bars and discos early is the only big drawback IMO, the other stuff is too isolated to put a dent in tourism (and the bombs in bkk are just speculation so far).

In the eyes of new (and repeat) tourists coming from big cities, early closings will make LOS seem like some paternalistic village where the population is too irresponsible to be allowed decide when to go home. Younger tourists, the ones who could repeat their visits for many years to come, like to party until late on their vacations. They will not be impressed with thailand, and the idea of closing a disco early will seem thoroughly stupid. Because it is.

In BKK and PTY, the places where you can go after the closing time are fine by me but i know alot of guys don't care for those style places.

I will be coming from the US over new years and would not consider changing my plans based on anything I have read here. But for those who don't like the street scene there won't be much to do after midnight.

MaiLuk said:But for those who don't like the street scene there won't be much to do after midnight.
I hate the street scene. It should go away ASAP. But I have no trouble finding venues to play after midnight/0100/whatever.

Of course there are those here who think I am imagining things...

C'est la vie.

Regards,

SD

Gadfly1 said:I recognize that this bothers some people, and I have to wonder why. But it is impossible for anyone who lives here, is familiar with Bangkok's nightlife and is honest about matters, to deny that there have been unprecedented changes in Bangkok's nightlife over the last year or so.
Dude, the question is that if you have lived in SE Asia for 10 years, why is it that this is a surprise and why is it that you are not fluid enough to follow the fun and find it where it is? For as you must know, the fun has been here for 100's of years. You simply must find it. There is nothing new happening here. Crackdowns come & go, but the scene remains.

Regards,

SD

Archived