2004 Melbourne Cup

gobbledonk

Just wanted to get in before Torneyboy ::

Although I never go near a racetrack, I have to admire an event which brings an entire nation to a complete standstill and results in massive absenteeism from workplaces all over the country. The drunks upstairs wont be back at their desks this afternoon, but I'm forwarding all their pathetic, slacker names to the big boss.

Strangely, he doesnt seem to be answering his emails ...

Hi artie,

Well, if it's of any interest, the Australia New Zealand Women's Group are holding a party for the Melbourne Cup right now as I write (10.30 am here only) at the Imperial Queens Park Hotel, Suk Soi 22.

Reliable reports indicate that the champagne is flowing freely and the quality of headgear is at it's usually high standard.

Khwai

the Australia New Zealand Women's Group are holding a party for the Melbourne Cup right now

LOL ! Thanks, Khwai - gives me an image of mum and the rest of the CWA (Chin Waggers, er, Country Women's Association) prancing around in hats whenever the opportunity presented itself ::

Have a good one.

will never be bigger than The Grand National at Aintree,or come to think of it The Derby at Epsom

No argument, Sayjann, but I dont follow horse racing per se, so its the biggest thing on the local calendar. I'm led to believe that Hong Kong actually has the most lucrative horse racing industry in the world, but that may be past tense.

The trainer of the MC winner claims that he may take her to France (how romantic :: ) to race in the 'Arc de Triomphe'. I'm not up on my racing, but isnt that a rather *large* trophy normally only claimed by people like Adolf Hitler ?

'the local calendar'???????????

i never realised Melbourne was close to tropical Queensland..... :devil:

the Arc is a funny race,went one Year on a Weekend jolly and was throughly confused.

the betting was different to what i am used to and to make matters worse,all the locals spoke French (which confused the hell out of a simple lad like myself).......::

what were the odds for the Melbourne Cup?.

can you put it into something that i know?,something like 3/1?.

HK might well be the most lucrative industry but only because of the money offered and the crazy betting fixation of the locals.

many of the World's top jockeys will regularly travel there (and Dubai)but only because of the money offered.

HK has no real 'classic' races which we all love and know.

outside of England i think most punters will have heard of 'the Arc',Melbourne Cup,Breeders Cup,Kentucky Derby and i think? one in Dubai.

i like to go to a race meet twice a Year.

one of the Days during the Week long Goodwood Festival and the Boxing Day meet at Fontwell........ :up:

already looking to Fontwell next Month....... :D

It's 'local', alright - regardless of whether you live in Darwin or Geelong, Australians hear nothing but news of the Melbourne Cup in the week before, and this drags on to post-mortems for a few days thereafter. Besides, distance isnt really an issue when you can fly from Brisbane to Melbourne in 2 hours ....

I believe that the winner had odds of 5/2 - a very short-priced favourite for such an unpredictable event. Melbourne turned on some truly hideous weather for the event (including a duststorm two hours before the race), so its even more astoudning that the favourite was still able to deliver for the punters. One bookie complained of losing 1/2 a million on the Cup, but I'm not shedding any tears for him or his colleagues ::

Archived