Rape of Nanking, the forgotten Holocaust

spirit_of_town_hall

well, you see, it's like that:

it was the french (commonly called "frogs"), until they have instigated those colonials in the new world (also known as "septics") to that stupid rebellion. since then it was both of 'em together. recently though these "septics" appear to play a far more active role in representing the forces of evil in our world.

clear, innit?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
flyonzewall said:

>>>>sheesh who do you guys blame for all the shit that took place in the first seventeen centuries? <<<

the bloody french.

who else?

My father asked my wife who the Viets dislike most, Americans or French (with background of the wars in Viet Nam). The reply was clear - the French :)

She refuses to travel on Air France. Myself, I don't have any problems with the French. I love their food and culture.

Was reading a book by a Vietnamese author who commented that they hated the North African soldiers that the French used in Vietnam as they were particularly cruel with stories of rapes and throat cutting. Course the Vietminh responded in kind. In the immediate post-2nd ww years the French Foreign Legion were used in Vietnam. Many of their numbers were former Wehrmacht soldiers. There was a tale of how they marched impassivlye in line into blistering gunfire. They didn't break rank. I would imagine those guys would have been pretty gruesome chaps to deal with and no wonder the Viets didn't like the Legion. I recall reading an account of Dien Bien Phu which described the FFL parachuting into a hopeless situation to die alongside their comrades.

All this talk of French arrogance is bullshit. Spend some time outside Paris and the Cote D'Azur where waiters and hotel staff can be a little world weary. On the whole I found the average French person to be warm, friendly and helpful with Germans and Dutch coming in a close second. That's when compared to the average Spaniard, Italian and Austrian. Not that I've had any bad experiences in those countries. Just my experience of the people on a face to face basis.

Back to the first post concerning Nanking.

Japan denies since 50 years that this massacre actually took place. A few years ago the report on the Nanking massacre was due to be published in Japan, but influencal figures - right wing politicians plus their business cronies from the largest companies - blocked the publication in the last minute.

Up to now Japan did not pay for the victims of their atrocities neither in Korea, China or other countries. Japan even enshrined the leading Japanese commanders and war criminals of WWII in the Yaskuni 'state' shrine which is visited every year by the leading Japanese politicans including prime minister Koizumi.

Japans denial of the war crimes is a dark chapter and it is one reason why the relationsships to their neighboring countries never normalized completely. IMHO Japan could have taken over the cultural leadership in East Asia, but it lost it's chance because of not trying to heal the wounds of the war crimes and atrocities caused by the Japanese forces during WWII (Nanking in China, the so called "comfort women" (forced prostitutes in Korea), experiments with nerve gas in Manchuria e.g.).

The right wing in Japan are still so powerful that they are able to control the media concerning Nanking (Nanjing) and WWII in general.

This is from last week:

'Manga' account of Nanjing Massacre axed amid protests

Publisher Shueisha Inc. said Thursday it will delete or modify parts of a comic depicting the Nanjing Massacre that were carried by its weekly "manga" edition, when it is published in book form, after assembly members complained that the slaughter never happened.

"The lack of prudence in selecting and verifying the materials for the comic has caused misunderstanding among readers," the publisher and the comic's author, Hiroshi Motomiya, said in a statement printed in the latest edition of Weekly Young Jump***.

The 21 pages featuring "inappropriate scenes" will be deleted or modified.

This decision comes after a group of 37 local assembly members complained that passages from "Kuni ga Moeru" ("The Country is Burning") printed in the magazine's Sept. 16 and 22 editions "distorted history" by describing Japanese soldiers massacring civilians in the Nanjing Massacre of 1937.

The politicians claim no such massacre took place.

"Kuni ga Moeru," a cartoon serial carried in the weekly magazine since November 2002, is a fictional account of the life of a bureaucrat in the turbulent early part of the Showa Era (1926-1989).

Shueisha, which has suspended "Kuni ga Moeru" since October, said no date has been fixed for its resumption.

The Tokyo War Crimes Tribunal concluded more than 140,000 people were killed in the massacre. Chinese historians put the death toll at 300,000 in Nanjing alone. Japanese accounts vary from several thousand to 200,000.

The Japan Times: Nov. 12, 2004

© All rights reserved

*** Weekly Young Jump ('Shukan Shonen Jump' in Japanese) is the biggest Japanese manga weekly with a circulation of 3 Million!!! copies. Which means this magazine reaches a larger audience than any other publication and therefore has a very strong impact on (male) teens. [Kamui]

Here are some links commenting the current climate in Japan concerning wartime atrocities:

Japan Times 1

Japan Times 2

Japan Times 3

Postscript:

I have just learnt that Iris Chang, the author of "The Rape of Nanking: The Forgotten Holocaust of World War II" committed suicide at the beginning of the last week. Apparently she was suffering from depression.

It was her who brought the Nanking massacre to international attention and forced the Japanese to discuss the matter. Unfortunately western scholars say that her book was extremely flawed. Her many mistakes in the book provided the reason for the Japanese publisher not to publish the book, without losing too much face, even this was apparently not the main reason as my post shows above.

In a mailing list for Japanese studies the death of Iris Chang and the decision to self censore "Young Jump" was called a "bizarre coincidence".

Archived