TEFL Int'l EXPOSED!!! wk 4 by itsmedave

itsmedave

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dave

Judging by the dates this thread seems to spring into life every couple of months or so and this seems to be another springtime.

I have also decided to head down to Bruces playground soon and follow in quite a few footsteps here it seems.

But I have a serious question, I saw a post on another board which suggested that Bruce had a strong link with AUA, is this correct or has someone read between the lines too closely ?

What is the public transport like between Thonburi and Bangkok, is the location as bad as you suggest ?

To answer the last two questions (and, yes, I am always shocked when I see this old report pop to the front of the trip reports section):

There is a quasi connection between AUA and TEFL Int'l in that the head teacher, Dave, used to be a high mucky-muck there. He isn't anymore obviously but still knows all the people and can give a reference that will be taken seriously. Apart from that it seems the AUA main branch is run by people of questionable logic. The last I heard a strict rule had come down saying graduates of the Ban Phe course weren't allowed to receive anything but the minimum salary to start. (I was paid a bit more when I started there) Seems odd to pay LESS to the graduates of a school you have a relationship with.

As for travelling to Thonburi, there are a few options. A number 10 minibus will take you to the Panthip plaza area for 25 baht, so if you want to go there its a good deal. Keep in mind though that the trip will take about 45 minutes and as the buses won't stop if the seats are full, its not uncommon to wait at the bus stop for at least 20 minutes before you can begin the journey.

A taxi to the center of town will last about 30 minutes and 100 baht midday. Go during rush hour periods and its more like 1 hour and 140 bht. The worst part is getting over the river because there's a very bad stoplight just on the Bangkok side which will stay red for 6 minutes. This means that traffic is commonly backed up completely over the bridge and to the other side. Getting over the bridge can take 20 minutes on its own. The other option is taking a bus or taxi to the skytrain at Surisak. Can't tell you about the bus ride except you have to change buses at least once. The taxi to the BTS doesn't really help matters much becuase the Surisak station is AFTER the bad light over the bridge, so you still have to get over the worst part by taxi. Rumors abound that they will open new sections of the skytrain which go further into Thonburi in the next 2 years, which, if it happens, should help alot.

Hope that helps.

Archived