bang na

thai3

Bloody amazing area where I have only been to the flying chicken cafe before. There are loads of nightspots, not just cafes but pubs ie julies pub and a big place called the public house. Went to a couple of cafes last night and one called all stars on udon suk soi 42 has to be on of the best such places I have ever been to, very friendly manager and a good atmosphere. Lots of fun girls who really enjoy themselves. The manager went into a you're my best mate mode though and ran up the road after us after we had left. I thought we had not paid for something, but he just wanted to thank us yet again for coming to his cafe. Singers are not bad and even the crap ones make up for it with sexy dancing. Much more fun the the night before in shark bar.-peter

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take a taxi ride down Udomsuk a couple or three times a week (depending on the traffic realtive to Bangna-Trad) and have see these palces through the taxi window, even think I remember seeing Allstars in particular. The wife says they do not welcome foreginers in these places.

From you online profie, I would guess you are not Thai, so that would mean that foreigners are welcomed, at least at Allstars. Are these assumptions correct?

Is this the sort of place one could take one's wife?

RickF

Difficult to imagine a warmer welcome, although initially I thought all stars a bit cold. The manager told me I was the first falang in there and it's been open 4 years so that might explain it. I have never once had any hostility in any cafe. Maybe the mrs is trying to put you off. Pity no time to have another look, much more interesting than most of sukhumvit.I asked him to sing lakorn cheewit and he was so happy it got a bit embarrassing. Went to changtai concert on my own on wednesday and the ladies looked after me buying me coke, ice cream, water, sweets, fruit, beer and crisps. Well you don't get that kind of spirit in an a go go do you?-peter

Yes why not take the wife, although some of these places are more for guys to go to meet the singers often people go with wives. All stars is probably more of a male place but there are lots of others, off to tankay issan tonight and maybe tatwan deang. Upset last night as jint cancelled concert in samut prakan but tomorrow sings in two cafes in bangkok, I hope! For the perverts I can report the changtai concert had schoolgirl dancers who rehearsed in their school uniforms, where a bit more than intended was on view-peter

>>>>Maybe the mrs is trying to put you off. <<<

yes, and for a reason.

those places are not safe. they are nice, but frequently the have shoot outs and gangfights when some of the nastier elements of thai society decide to have a go at each other there. bang na and further out samut prakan are some of the most gang infested areas here.

a single farang will rarely have any problem, especially when he knows how to behave. but that would be the last places i would dare to take my wife to.

thais generally go out in groups, and in areas they know. if you are in such a group you will be safe, or, if people of an area know that you are part of a known group.

going with a wife, especially a thai wife, into those areas is asking for trouble.

lots of blokes here hold a grudge against foreigners with thai wifes, and when drunk, they can be nasty. in a country where rape appears to be national sport one has to think twice about where to go out with one's wife.

flyonzewall said:

thais generally go out in groups, and in areas they know. if you are in such a group you will be safe, or, if people of an area know that you are part of a known group.

going with a wife, especially a thai wife, into those areas is asking for trouble.

lots of blokes here hold a grudge against foreigners with thai wifes, and when drunk, they can be nasty. in a country where rape appears to be national sport one has to think twice about where to go out with one's wife.

Please help me to get the mind around this a bit more: If me and the [hypothetical] misses going it alone were not a good idea then at what point would a safe group size be assumed? Are we talking foursome, a dozen, or?

depends if your group is known in the area or not.

if you get into trouble with locals from the area, any size is too small. and i am not talking about a group of farang - that would be worth jackshit. but yeah, a dozen would be better than a foursome.

it's just a question of avoiding trouble - chances are of course that trouble might not come, but if it comes it comes so incredibly nasty, that it's no fun anymore. the problem here is that when things go out of hand it's not just a little barbrawl.

when in rome - do as the romans do. i know that things are rarely fair and whatever else farang like to complain. but there is very little you or me can change about it. look at thais and how they go out: generally in large groups, and only in places they are known.

Thanks! That makes sense in my present understanding of the megalopolis. I'm now wondering if this advise is equally applicable in the core of BKK and outskirts, rural Thailand, or both.

Granted, I've only seen it go bad in Bangers once and when it did the ferocity was indeed astonishing, but what ended up haunting me for days was the recurring vision of how*snap* instantaneously it went from an assault to that impassive Asian gaze returning- as though the chaos prior was an just an illusion.

Call me naive -cause I know I am- but it Thai men still strike me as pretty non-chalant about all of us falung over here for the purposes of banging their broads. Assuming this casualness exists too, does this perhaps relate to that sordid quasi-national sport you refered to?

[sorry to have veered the thread too, found it interesting as it was :: ]

Archived