bang na

thai3

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes, that is a problem i often face. and it is also not too easy at times to defend us farang against some of the more outlandish assumptions. and impossible when someone, like a cop recently, makes some spot on remarks.

common complaints about us:

1) we are just oversexed fools, spreading around our money, and looking down on thais.

2) a high handed attitude, thinking just because we come from rich societies we know everything, especially how to solve thailand's serious problems.

interesting thread especailly considering carew's incident a few months back, which happened in bangna & is the only account I'm aware of NP members getting hurt in BKK?

Fly' on the samut prakan statements considering it's a whole province outside BKK perhaps you could narrow those long dark dangerous soi's down a tiny bit as I used to frequent that area quite a bit & wish to stay out of trouble ;)

E.g. the various mu bans across the big canal on suk rd across the croc. farm would that be included as dangerous soi's?

I know it was back in '99 & a one off, but I'll never forget walking all the way to past bangna towards bang po from pratunam in the middle of the night with this crazy TG ::

It was a long walk & quiet mostly, but somewhere after the imperial mall we sobered up & caught a taxi the rest of the way ::

Sukhumvit RD dangerous - LOL - even it extends all over the kingdom including samut prakan

:D

flyonzewall said:

yes, that is a problem i often face. and it is also not too easy at times to defend us farang against some of the more outlandish assumptions. and impossible when someone, like a cop recently, makes some spot on remarks.

common complaints about us:

1) we are just oversexed fools, spreading around our money, and looking down on thais.

2) a high handed attitude, thinking just because we come from rich societies we know everything, especially how to solve thailand's serious problems.

Sounds exactly like the British men's wartime moan about the American soldiers stationed there during the war (hey, that was your fault!::) It's called envy.

Did you retort with:

"Well, at least when one of our cops murders a tourist we at least have a go at trying him for it".

Or did he have a gun? :)

i don't know samut prakan well further than bak naam. but yes, the sois i know are all sois i would not walk at night alone.

and things have changed to the worse since '99 regarding random violence.

on sunday night, 6 kids shipped over the river, to go to one of the festivals for the king's birthday. as soon as they left the ferry they were chased by a gang armed with ironbars and bottles away. never met them before, never had any trouble with them.

one jumped in the river to escape and was seen getting on the ferry back, one wasn't found, and the other four filed a missing person report in the police station. dunno yet what happened in the end.

almost every single time i am going to the area there will be some gangrelated violent incident. and listening to the police radio you get a good picture what happens in adjoining areas.

very different from the more central areas i also spend time in, even though there i have also observed a increase of violence in the last two years, not as extreme though.

i am not saying that you will automatically get into trouble there, especially not if you are with local friends, but certain precautions have to be observed. the same precautions when one goes into not so good areas in any megalopolis, such as london, paris, or LA. just because this is seen as the "LOS" does not mean that the place is a happy go lucky disneyland for adults.

bang na and samut prakan are industrial areas with a huge amount of migrant workers, lots of slums and cheap housing projects, and should be treated with the according care, especially at night.

KS & all,

My mistake this was indeed bang phe, which I guess we should add to the list of dangerous bkk neighbourhoods, where carew66 was brutally knocked out in July by thai guys with baseball bats due to a farang bird!

http://board.nanaplaza.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=342669&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Fly,

Thanks for elaborating & I guess most risk is being out at night & at the wrong place wrong time wrong look scenario while joining the crowds at e.g. samut prakans chang erawan museum, croc farm, bang poo sea food pier or ancient city with due care should be fine even with the gf/wife ;)

Archived