Bangkok Blues...A Short Story..Part I

Sorry guys, I originally posted in General Forum...I guess this is the place for my post.

=============================================

I see many fellow travelers posting messages about “The Bangkok Blues” and the deep-rooted desire to return to this tropical oasis called Thailand. I too have felt the extremely strong addiction to this mysterious country. The desire can eat at you and occupy your thoughts consistently not unlike a heroin addict craving for his next chance to chase the dragon. It is very hard to understand why the attraction is so strong. Is it the obvious yearning for the narcissistic pleasures that await your arrival or is it just the escape from the all too familiar surroundings of our mundane lives? I suppose that it means something different to all of us. I know the strong appeal of the nightlife that I was introduced to at a relatively young age. I also know that the country’s extreme diversity and contrasts are very interesting and the visits become a sort of escape from reality. I am not sure that the appeal would be as strong without the Pong, Nana, Soi Cowboy and other popular carnal haunts, but I do know that there is something special about this place. I have spent time in other parts of Asia over the years, but the other countries definitely do not have the magic that Thailand possesses. I did enjoy the people and culture of places such as Laos, Burma, Korea, HK, Singapore, but it is just not the same. Maybe it is the illusion of being something like a celebrity attracting attention that could never be had in our own countries; maybe it is just being different… I do not know.

I fondly recall the times that I spent in Bangkok while attending a semester in college for international study. We would go to the huge discos such as Broadway and would never have to pay for a drink nor go home alone. As soon as we sat down at a table we were receiving invitations to join other groups for a night of fun and countless rounds of Johnny Black. I recall one night out where I had my first experience of being fed by Thai beauty. My friend and I were invited to a table where a very well dressed guy and his very sexy girlfriend were sitting with his two bodyguards. This guy had more money than I could imagine at that time, as he was basically a Thai “Wise Guy”. He had his girlfriend hand feed me while we talked. I thought that this was the wildest thing that I have ever experienced. Can you even imagine this happening back in your hometown? His bodyguards even “moved” some other people sitting by the railing on the 2nd floor just so we could move to a better view. One of his guys left to take the phuuchai’s girl home and returned shortly thereafter with a new girl for him and two more for my friend and me. I thought that this was crazy; I could not even believe that this was real. We partied and ended up being friends with this hooked up guy. What I am getting at is that in Thailand you have the illusion of being someone special, someone better looking or wealthier than you really are, while back home your are just the neighbor mowing the yard on the weekends, the guy sitting in the cubical at the office, or just another face disappearing in the crowd. Sure you have your moments back in the real world, but in Bangkok every night is a Saturday night!

I would like to share some of my experiences with all of you if you are interested. I have experienced and seen a lot of crazy things while living in Bangkok and Chiangmai and during my many visits back to the LOS. From the heroin trade to stories of wealthy, successful businessmen losing everything pursuing their hedonistic lifestyle, even murder which made me realize how cheap life can be and the extremes that the Thais will go to for revenge or business. Please excuse my lack of literary skill, as I am not a writer by any stretch of the imagination. I am just a guy sitting here having a few drinks, reminiscing and thinking about my next journey back to the City of Angels. Well enough for now.

Stay tuned for Part II …My First Trip at 19……

LiTuP,

As I once posted before, I have the "Bangkok Blues" and I have never been. I for one would like to read about your past experiences in the LOS. One of the first places I go after i log in is the "Trip reports/ Stories" section. I can only live thru the eyes of those that have gone before me. I thank God for all the Lewis and Clarks in the world. Because of all the great stories and other postings, I have started making plans for a second trip. The first one is now less than 3 week. Tomorrow check with the airline to see if the flight is still on time. How many time can one repack in the next 3 weeks??

LeoTex

Archived