Torrent Clients

gummigut

Enjoying the benefits of broadband I've now broadened my technological resume to include more damn crap.

Torrent... I've started using Burst as my client but I'm not wedded to it. Not 100% satisfied and am not sure if it's due to my client (stuff like it can't connect to a tracker).

I'm thinking about Azureus (but Java doesn't seem to work very well with XP SP2) but leaning towards Bittorrent.

Also curious on what kind of speeds you are getting on your torrent downloads. I've forwarded my ports (switched the defaults to a much higher port # in my client) from my router so I should be getting the best possible from my connection. I once had 55kbs download but usually it's 7 to 12kbs (I do understand much of this is reliant on the connection between the seed and me) but 7 to 12kbs just doesn't seem right. I'm doing direct download of files and patches from websites at 50kbs to 125kbs.

So, what client are you using?

Thanks!

<<burp>>

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I'm using Azureus, after trying BitTorrent and G3 Torrent.

Quite happy with it.

Getting fairly low speeds myself as well. Individual torrents usual download at about 3-12Kbytes, although they can shoot up to 30-40K. Anything above that is very rare.

My solution is to have many downloads going at the same time, bringing the combined download speed into the 25-40Kbyte range.

And yes, I too think it should be much higher considering my connection should be able to handle 100+Kbyte/sec.

Sanuk!

It is IME totally dependant on the number of seeds and their upload speeds. anything over 30 BPS is very good in my experience.

KS ... since one normally uploads at a 2 to one ratio what do you do about monthly bandwidth restrictions from your ISP? your line usage must be huge.

Hi,

"KS ... since one normally uploads at a 2 to one ratio what do you do about monthly bandwidth restrictions from your ISP?"

No restrictions :)

"your line usage must be huge."

I average about 1Gb both up and down every night :)

On for 19.5 hrs now and downloaded 1.35Gb, uploaded 2Gb

Sanuk!

Crap, guess if everyone is using Azureus I'll give it a shot. I'll load it tonight.

Last night, I averaged over 40kbs download. Best connections were the japanese connections by far. Thing is Burst bled memory somewhere and ate up all the system resources. I couldn't even contact my router (although stuff was still downloading fine).

I do understand the fact about seeds and speed, but I still feel that downloads should be faster. If I download a file direct from a website, it's a gadjillion times faster. Guess it's all the overhead with tracking.

Thanks for the notes that most individual files download in the 10k or little higher range. Guess I won't upgrade my line to the 2.5mb connection.

<<burp>>

Slightly, OT, but since there are Azureus

After upgrading to the latest version of Azureus (2.2.0.1) about a month ago all my menus are now in Thai. I am finding this a real pain. I have done a google search and have installed a language plugin, but can't seem to change the menus back to English.

I am running Win XP (SP2) on a laptop.

Does anyone here have an idea?

Archived