Torrent Clients

gummigut

Thanks for the info. I should have read this whole thread from the beginning as many of my questions were already answered. I guess my download/upload speeds are about the same as you mentioned ? which varies quite a bit.

I?ve seen DL speeds now as high as 110 kb/s with an average of about 80, however that?s the best I?ve seen. Typically I see DL speeds in the neighborhood of 8 ? 15 kb/s. As you said, these speeds vary radically, so it?s hard to come up with a good average, but 1 - 2 GB per 24 hours sounds about right for my setup.

ST

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to get pissed off at this whole torrent thing.

It takes me days to download 1 GB. Right now I'm blazing along at about 4 kB/s! :grrr:

I run Norton with ports 6881-6889 allowed access.

No WinXP firewall - using SP1 on a Panthip copy of XP Pro.

I cannot ^*%$%*%^$%^* figure out how to forward the router on my True ADSL running the Zyxel 630.

When I try to run "ipconfig" to see my settings, the DOS window opens, the data appears for about a gazillionth of a second and then the window closes itself, so I cannot see any of the IP settings, therefore I cannot set a fixed IP address for the computer.

I also cannot get to the router config through either IE or Firefox. I type what I think is the correct router address, I think "168.192.1.1" (maybe 192.168.1.1) but get "Network Error".

Ever feel like there's a party going on but you're missing it? That's how I'm feeling about my Azureus right now.

I'm sure somebody out there can explain my own idiocy to me.

Help me. I live at Victory Monument and am starting to have dark thoughts.

>>>>When I try to run "ipconfig" to see my settings, the DOS window opens, the data appears for about a gazillionth of a second and then the window closes itself, so I cannot see any of the IP settings, therefore I cannot set a fixed IP address for the computer.

Copy and paste this at a command prompt:

ipconfig /all > c:\ip.txt

Press enter then navigate to C:\ drive and look for the ip.txt file.

>>Help me. I live at Victory Monument and am starting to have dark thoughts.<<

Before you jump, just type "cmd" at Start/Run ... this will open the DOS box. Now you can type "ipconfig" or what Bullshit suggest and the box will magically remain open for you until you type "exit" at the prompt.

Try http://192.168.0.1/ to access the router ...

Khun Kong, let's take it back a step before you jump. hehe. Bad Pun intended. Now you can jump.

Still reading, damn! you didn't jump.

Okay, first off, if you're using the Zyxel 630 then it's a modem and not a router. You don't have to do any port forwarding.

Your computer is connected directly to the internet through your modem. Don't need to forward ports. As a BRIEF discussion, when you have a router/hub, that device actually gets the IP Address from True and then gives all the other computers on your network a separate IP Address. Because there are two IP Addresses you need to forward ports.

But in this case, you only have a modem so you can only hook up one computer and your computer gets the IP Address from True directly, not the modem. So no port forwarding.

Confused yet? If so, don't worry about it. Don't have to worry about port forwarding which is why you are getting network error when you try 192.168.1.1

Okay, your not experiencing the same download rates as everyone else...

First, are you just downloading 1 torrent? If so, then it's going to be like this. That's just the way it is. You need to be downloading several torrents at once. Seems my optimum range is somewhere between 5 and 10.

Two, you need to make sure your firewall allows Azureus access to the ports you've defined in Azureus.

You say Norton allows 6881 to 6889.

Check under Azureus Options / Connections (from the list on the left hand side of the "Options" window). What's the Incoming TCP listen port at the top? That's the number Norton should allow.

Also under Options / Tracker - Server (Again from the list on the left hand side of the "Options" window). Check the Enable Tracker on HTTP Port. It's in the middle so you probably have to scroll down to it. Mines set to 10200. That's another port that Norton should allow.

If none of this helps, I could possibly stop by before Friday Dinner if you'd like. Other than that, I'm pretty busy until Tuesday I think.

Hopefully though the info here will clear it up!

<<burp>>

• 4 weeks later...

ok- i'VE GOT ALL "GREEN FACES" NOW! :)

oops- caps lock

Anyway, I still am not sure of the best settings, but now I am getting DLs of usually 6-60 kB/s. Sometimes hitting 2GB in 24 hours.

My new torrent source: TorrentSpy.com

New Sith torrent can DL at ~50 kB/s!

Seeds = 216 connected, swarm = 3260

Peers = 396 connected, swarm = 18798

Archived