Small change ...

Flashermac

The Nation

December 08, 2004

Nana prostitute arrested in Bt4.5-million cash theft

Police yesterday arrested a prostitute who stole more than Bt4.5 million worth of US dollars from a Jordanian customer, a lot of which she?d already splurged out on expensive gold jewellery and a car.

Sex worker Rommanee Wisanukul, 26, was detained along with Bt2.1 million in US dollars, several gold ornaments, and a Honda Prelude, said Major Chotewat Leungwilai of Lumpini police station. Police also retrieved the businessman?s leather briefcase from the balcony of a room in Huay Kwang that Rommanee had been renting.

Chotewat said that early Saturday evening, Jordanian car-importer Saed Nazer Sulaiman Jade, 46, met Rommanee in Soi Nana

and invited her to his room, where he had $117,000 (Bt4,571,000) stored in a briefcase.

The next morning the Jordanian found that Rommanee was gone, along with his briefcase and the money. He called police.

On Monday police arrested Rommannee in her rented room in Soi On-Nut 17 and charged her with theft.

Rommanee told police she?d stolen the briefcase after she caught a glimpse of the great amount of cash in it. Next day she converted more than Bt2 million worth of dollars and, during a spending spree, splurged out on the Honda car and expensive jewellery.

Rommanee admitted to having previously stolen as much as Bt2,000 from customers before, but said this was the first time she?d stolen such a huge amount of cash.

its like that movie where someone is embezzling from his work, (Richard Pryor).

The boss finally learns that someone, when they pay there staff $123, 65 1/2 cents has been taking the 1/2 cents.

He says "Clearly we are dealing with a criminal genius, he will be hard to catch.

Just then Richard Pryor drives into the carpark in a brand new ferrari.

Boss "Or maybe not"

DOG

A lot of Arabs have been known to bring ridiculous amounts of cash with them, like this Jordanian. The Japanese tourists used to do it too, when the yen was so high back in the late '80s and early '90s. Japanese used to be the favoured targets for pickpockets and purse snatchers.

I remember reading in the Bangkok Post about a Japanese woman who had her purse grabbed by a motorcycle rider -- and reported to the police how much it had contained. Besides 90,000 baht, she had about US$10,000 and a huge amount of yen in it. Maybe she was going out to do some serious shopping???

i can understand having that amount of money with you,but the logic of having it all in the room seems a little crazy to me....

i remember losing my ATM card and having to get the family to wire me some money.

had to pick up 66,000bt and carry it around with me for a few Hours and i was terrified of losing it.....

"... and invited her to his room, where he had $117,000 (Bt4,571,000) stored in a briefcase. The next morning the Jordanian found that Rommanee was gone, along with his briefcase and the money. "

DUH! Almost predictable.

He is a dealer (of automobiles, presumably), so would the cash have been the proceeds for the sale of cars? Hmmmmmm...me smells a rat.

There is an interesting sidebar in this event...

Sure the guy was stupid or just plain ignorant not of having that amount of cash on himself (who cares the reason) but inviting people (prostitutes no doubt though it could be anyone) into his area where he has the cash accessible. Where is the safe? This outcome is pretty predictable more so than not...

What i find interesting is the reaction by the girl and how it just reinforces my beliefs (call them stereotypes if you want) about this type of person (poor person, hookers, blue collar, white collar, whatever) that they demonstrate zero abilities about savings. They come into this type of money and they just go hog wild with no smarts whatsoever. A 5 year old kid in a candy store...

You apply this situation at much less amounts of money but to daily frequencies and it shows you the mentality of these types of people handling money. BGs or whoever when they are given access to excessive money, they have no concept to savings, how to manage monies, budgets, needs, big ticket item purchases, etc..

I see it over and over again where guys are complaining about "i give my GF 25K baht a month but she always has no money at the end of every month". What is the definition of insanity again?

I am just not sure who was more stupid; maybe they can share this distinguished award....

P.S. I wonder if she knows how to drive? Maybe she just liked the color....

Cardinalblue

As to the japanese story, about a month ago i was walking back from the driving range on soi 18 sukhumvit and a motorcycle guy was going like a bat out of hell down the soi; matter a fact damn close to me and and almost skidded out of control when he made the hairy turn at the end....

Well, walking another 20 meters or so and there was all this commotion and a couple of soi taxi guys took off in a lost cause after the guy...

A japanese women who was walking her small dog was the victim of a purse snatching just opposite the rembrandt hotel.

Talking with an employee from the chilli pepper, that was the second one that day and she said there was a rash of them recently....big problem

Police showed up about 15 maybe 20 minutes later. Standard procedure no doubt....

Cardinalblue

Archived