Back in the UK,conclusions

Lusty

Nice read. I'd be curious how much your thoughts and impression of LOS have changed since. Or haven't.

:)

Really interested to revisit this, particularly given that Lusty's initial post is from 2001, very close to my first trip to the LOS. Despite having gone back many times since, I am an eternal newbie, and the place still surprises me. While I now have a distinct preference for ST over the GFE, going back to the airport continues to be an extremely deflating experience - especially this time around, as I spent 36 hours from my wakeup call in Chiang Mai to my head hitting the pillow at home.

If you ever want to find out where you really stand, put all your money/wallet etc in a safe, walk up and down Suk until you are truly thirsty, then ask one of your regulars if she can loan you 40 baht for a bottle of water. Tell her you've been robbed, and you wont get any more money until Western Union opens the following morning - trust me, the girls who will help you out when the shoe is on the other foot are scarce indeed. I found two such girls roughly 12 months ago, and on this trip I rewarded them handsomely in full view of their colleagues, several of whom couldnt get away fast enough the previous year. I have to wonder how many Farang would give you 40 baht for water, and 40 baht is nothing to most of us, but to a Thai its money that isnt going to their family.

as I spent 36 hours from my wakeup call in Chiang Mai to my head hitting the pillow at home.

You went to Chiang Mai? I'd be curious to hear your honest impressions there, as I plan to spend 5 days there in Nov (and a few weeks in BKK, and yes --> a handful of days in Pattaya).

I agree with the rest of your post btw.

I have noticed a kind of honeymoon phase with expats, then a jaded phase then a kind of steady state with more subtle peaks and troughs. :)

As a visitor and lame ass fucking tourist it's always good to me. I'm not sure how I'll see it all after a year though.

One other note -- my godfather used to always give me these wild scenarios: "you want to know who your real friends are, just wait till there's a gun pointed and it's them or you, then you'll know who your friends are." He was too hard on people. But he was both right and wrong. People are selfish at their core, they become more or less interesting along the journey.

You went to Chiang Mai? I'd be curious to hear your honest impressions there, as I plan to spend 5 days there in Nov (and a few weeks in BKK, and yes --> a handful of days in Pattaya).

I agree with the rest of your post btw.

I have noticed a kind of honeymoon phase with expats, then a jaded phase then a kind of steady state with more subtle peaks and troughs. :)

As a visitor and lame ass fucking tourist it's always good to me. I'm not sure how I'll see it all after a year though.

One other note -- my godfather used to always give me these wild scenarios: "you want to know who your real friends are, just wait till there's a gun pointed and it's them or you, then you'll know who your friends are." He was too hard on people. But he was both right and wrong. People are selfish at their core, they become more or less interesting along the journey.

ROFLMAO ! There is absolutely no way in hell I am going to hand anyone a gun to find out what they really think of me - I'd prefer to just assume the worst and save on any head wounds !

As far as CM goes, it was necessary in my case, but its a sleepy backwater after BKK and KL : the bar 'district' is small and most of the girls seemed intent on staring into space and hoping low season would magically disappear very, very soon. Lots of backpackers and a surprising number of Asian tourists, but most of the punters seemed to be ancient expats nursing a single beer whilst chatting to their mates. KL was far and away the wildest P4P experience I have had in a long time, but the wallet-sapping nature of a night there really has crossed it off my list until I win Lotto.

Given another shot at the place, I wouldnt buy a single beer in the Beach Club/Thai Club (persistent Tequila sales girls over there ...) : just walk in, grab the two friendliest Filipinas and take em to one of the outdoor restaurants. I seem to recall that my total bill, including several large bottles of beer with dinner, was less than I paid for a single round of drinks in either club .....

Really interested to revisit this, particularly given that Lusty's initial post is from 2001, very close to my first trip to the LOS. Despite having gone back many times since, I am an eternal newbie, and the place still surprises me. While I now have a distinct preference for ST over the GFE, going back to the airport continues to be an extremely deflating experience - especially this time around, as I spent 36 hours from my wakeup call in Chiang Mai to my head hitting the pillow at home.

If you ever want to find out where you really stand, put all your money/wallet etc in a safe, walk up and down Suk until you are truly thirsty, then ask one of your regulars if she can loan you 40 baht for a bottle of water. Tell her you've been robbed, and you wont get any more money until Western Union opens the following morning - trust me, the girls who will help you out when the shoe is on the other foot are scarce indeed. I found two such girls roughly 12 months ago, and on this trip I rewarded them handsomely in full view of their colleagues, several of whom couldnt get away fast enough the previous year. I have to wonder how many Farang would give you 40 baht for water, and 40 baht is nothing to most of us, but to a Thai its money that isnt going to their family.

the girls can be kind-hearted if they know you.

for 10 years i have drunk in 2 bars in patong and am very good friends with the 2 who run their respective bars.

many times i have spent more money then i had in my pocket and not a problem,bin placed behind the bar until the next day.

many times i have gone 4-5 days before i paid the bill,the best was 12 days......

and both girls had the good habit of either ringing the bell or playing games for drinks.

ROFLMAO ! There is absolutely no way in hell I am going to hand anyone a gun to find out what they really think of me - I'd prefer to just assume the worst and save on any head wounds !

As far as CM goes, it was necessary in my case, but its a sleepy backwater after BKK and KL : the bar 'district' is small and most of the girls seemed intent on staring into space and hoping low season would magically disappear very, very soon. Lots of backpackers and a surprising number of Asian tourists, but most of the punters seemed to be ancient expats nursing a single beer whilst chatting to their mates.

Nah, he didn't mean hand someone a gun. He meant, people look out for themselves. (The example was if a third party had a gun pointed at you and friend, most will look out for themselves and leave you hanging). My reply was usually: duh. :)

Right on the same page on CM. I was surprised to see several expats in the beer bars down there who had little intention whatsoever of barfining or hooking up. Maybe every now and then, but the social scene was so small that they already knew all the girls. They were just there to people watch and what not. Met a couple decent fellas out there just sitting around watching life pass by. I think Bangkok expats are much more wary and distant (I would be too). The only issue with CM I have is that you're definitely looking at a talent pool that is significantly smaller.

But I like the place.

btw - In the rest of your post (cut from this one), sounds like you had a worthwhile trip sir.

Good.

Archived