spirit_of_town_hall

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he is sighing because

A) His computer drops off as usual before he can answer

B) He misses the Monkey Bordello in Indo

or

C) It could just be possible some people may have been trying to catpure the little monkey to EAT it rather than sleep with it, hence blood got spilled etc.

DOG (Sorry josh, couldn;t help myself)

Josh,

I seem to recall reading that the wide spread of Aids might have come from a vaccine of some sort (polio?) made from Monkey pancreas. The west was able to synthazize it quickly, but other countries continued to use actual Monkey parts. Thus it was wide spread via injections...of this vaccine, no idea how valid. Also have heard of AIDS having existed for years before we first stated calling it :gay plague" and HIV/AIDS.

flyonzewall said:

http://www.orangutan.org/press/message2002.php

sick, but appearantly true. a mate of mine has investigated the issue as well while he lived in indonesia.

Probably best to avoid this area, in case one should get caught up in a random orangutan fucking incident. They tend to come upon you by surprise and rather quickly, at that. :)

Making a long joke short:

Man isolated in jungle, working with his mates.

"What do you guys do for sex?" he asks.

"We fuck the orangutans".

Guy resists for months. Finally fucks one. Comes back to camp, everybody laughing at him.

"But, you guys said you do it too".

"Yeah" they reply, "but you sure got an ugly one."

>Seems you think you know the exact answer where HIV evolved from. Please tell us since the world have been waiting for an answer since 1959 when the first suspected case immerged in the Congo

Sigh (again).

>What is your theory?

Me? I don't have one (on this particular subject). I *can* however tell you the current most likely scenario (and indeed, if you go back and *read* my first post in the thread, you will find the most likely answer: Bushmeat).

Ok. A large part of the problem here is that you all seem to think of HIV as a "done deal" instead of part of an ongoing process. The best current data seems to be saying that HIV "varients" are still coming out of africa. There has been some fascinating studies looking at monkeys (both alive and slaugtered "bushmeat") as resevoirs of retroviruses (as well as other viruses). Think of them (monkeys and the like) as a "sea" of viruses with waves that lap over onto the edges of the human race. In these areas, people in contact with bushmeat have really wacky immune responses, antibodies against all sorts of shit, of (apparently different sorts of monkey retroviruses). What we call HIV is probably just the "most sucessful" to date, but trust me, there are others out there, with the potential to be as devestating (more so?) than HIV.

The field of emerging infectious diseases is both facinating and frightening. Think about SARS, Nipah, Bird flu etc as well as HIV. All "emerging", all with animal resevoirs. Lots of work with animal resevoirs (bats particularly) suggest there is some very very very scary shit out there that *may* be heading our way.

Now WYD, I appreciate that my background in this cannot compete with some one who wrote a high school term paper on it, but, I would think you would be very, very hard put to find a cretitable scientist who would go with the "f*cking" theory as opposed to the "food" theory.

-j-

>I seem to recall reading that the wide spread of Aids might have come from a vaccine of some sort (polio?) made from Monkey pancreas.

There was a relatively well known book on this, based on two "facts". That the emergence of HIV (roughly) co-incided with the large african polio vaccination campaigns, and that the poli vaccine was, IIRC grown in monkey kidney cells.

There was a very emotional appeal: Hey you f*ckers spread the disease (and other who went further :Hey you f*ckers *deliberately* spread the disease).

A few years ago, a consortium of the top HIV labs worldwide got together to screen some of the very precious, carefully preserved (and very limited) original stocks of the vaccine. No evidence of HIV contamination was found. There were a few other pretty decisive arguements against this, but for the life of me, cannot recall what they were (the species of monkey may have had something do with it..bleah, can't be effed to go look, sorry).

-j-

Archived