Why Thai's speak English so poorly

Khun_Kong

The easiest way to help Thais with the mispronounciation of "r" and "l" is to remind them using their own language.

If for instance they say they will "clean my loom" tell them that they should replace the first letter with "ro rua" (rowing boat) instead of "lor ling" (monkey)

You need to keep reminding them that every time they see an English word with the letter "r" to replace it with the "ro rua" consonant.

For "v" it is a little more complex, because they do not have a consonant for "v" but rather use the closest sound which is "wor waen" (ring)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"blue"] My wife gets upset when i pick her up on a word (after say twice in a day) so i let a lot slip through at the moment.

Repetition is the answer imo...slow going however

[/color]

Careful in correcting your spouse's English. I found many Thai women very sensitive on this when it comes from the husband, don't know why. In my case, I ask husband all the times and I have been speaking English just about all my life and had a very succesful career. Perhaps, there is a right and wrong time in correcting her English?

Jasmine

[color:"blue"]For "v" it is a little more complex, because they do not have a consonant for "v" but rather use the closest sound which is "wor waen" (ring)

[/color]

"V" is much easier to pronounce for the Thais than "z", they just have to care to do it, that is all.

IMO, a main reason the Thais do not speak English well is because they do NOT care to make it sound right. Many times I hear from stupid people that "English is not our mother tongue, why do we have to make it sound right", stupid attitude. Another thing is, children laugh at each other in schools when ones try to say it correctly. I remember a teacher (Thai) who told my niece that there is no need to pronounce English correctly, it is the "farang"'s business to understand it when a Thai speaks English. That didn't go well with me! ::

Jasmine

jasmine said:

[color:"blue"] My wife gets upset when i pick her up on a word (after say twice in a day) so i let a lot slip through at the moment.

Repetition is the answer imo...slow going however

[/color]

Careful in correcting your spouse's English. I found many Thai women very sensitive on this when it comes from the husband, don't know why. In my case, I ask husband all the times and I have been speaking English just about all my life and had a very succesful career. Perhaps, there is a right and wrong time in correcting her English?

Jasmine

Hi Jasmine

Yes i get some *looks* after i ask her to say again...so what is the answer...btw i ask again and again with Thai...we are both learning....it aint easy

Archived