• Created
  • Last Reply

EARTHQUAKE CLASSIFIED AS A GREAT EARTHQUAKE

Magnitude 8.9 - OFF THE WEST COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA

2004 December 26 00:58:50 UTC

Preliminary Earthquake Report

U.S. Geological Survey, National Earthquake Information Center

World Data Center for Seismology, Denver

A great earthquake occurred at 00:58:50 (UTC) on Sunday, December 26, 2004. The magnitude 8.9 event has been located OFF THE WEST COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA. (This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.)

Magnitude 8.9

Date-Time Sunday, December 26, 2004 at 00:58:50 (UTC)

= Coordinated Universal Time

Sunday, December 26, 2004 at 6:58:50 AM

= local time at epicenter

Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 3.298°N, 95.779°E

Depth 10 km (6.2 miles) set by location program

Region OFF THE WEST COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA

Distances

250 km (155 miles) SSE of Banda Aceh, Sumatra, Indonesia

320 km (200 miles) W of Medan, Sumatra, Indonesia

1260 km (780 miles) SSW of BANGKOK, Thailand

1605 km (1000 miles) NW of JAKARTA, Java, Indonesia

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 9.2 km (5.7 miles); depth fixed by location program

Parameters Nst=157, Nph=157, Dmin=>999 km, Rmss=1.35 sec, Gp= 29°,

M-type=moment magnitude (Mw), Version=9

Source USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usslav

Felt Reports At least 9 people killed, buildings collapsed and telephone service disrupted at Banda Aceh. Buildings destroyed or damaged at Ko Lanta, Thailand by a tsunami. Tsunamis observed on the coasts of Sri Lanka, Sumatra and Thailand. Felt widely in northern Sumatra. Felt in Bangladesh, India, Malaysia, Myanmar, Singapore and Thailand.

Thai TV claims 200-300 and possibly more Falangs died in this tragedy.

VERY BAD.

The area were the earthquake originated has been having quite a few quakes. Being the size of this last one 8.9, I suspect there maybe more to follow.

NOT VERY GOOD AT ALL.

From MM in another thread:

>>>>>Thai TV at 1:30 PM claims there may be as many as 100 falangs dead.

If this is true, it might be difficult sorting out who is who. Maybe FlyOnTheWall is right, carrying ID can help in sorting 'the mess' out.<<<<

This is going to be a very serious problem. But in this case, carrying an ID would not help you. So many might have been lost to the sea, that you can only go on who is missing, and then presume them dead. Shit....a whole family gets wiped out to sea in a few seconds????? Who really can know that they all woke up, and decided to catch a few rays, before lunch??? Identification is non-existant. The bodies are long gone.

How sad is all of this? My God. You save up for years to go on a dream vacation with your wife and kids, and something like this happens. :( It's a sad Christmas this year.

HT

There is not one single news report on it in the states...I cannt find any info...

My girl friend just told me that the boats that take people to phi phi from phuket town sank...this is mainly tourist travel. This is a nightmare! All the lost bags and important stuff. It's thought that some of the passangers might have gone down with the boat!

SkiBum

You guys down there take care!

It is ironic really with all the fuss about terrorists and the threat that they posed to the south of Thailand and tourism and then something like this comes along.

I believe it hit at 8.30 on Patong beach so there shouldn't have been to many people on the beach.

Surely there should have been some sort of warning????

Thai TV claims some falangs are trying to rent helicopters to leave Phuket. Helicopters can not be used to accommodate them. They must be used to rescue survivors.

What a mess.

Archived