Football (soccer) Corner

Steve

from todays THE NATION

SOCCER] Three Thai youngsters are raring to experience English football after being selected to join the ?Chang-Everton Rising Stars Year 2? programme.

Sakarin Chanyotha, Ronnachai Rangsiyo and Naruephon Aromsawa were named yesterday at a press conference at the headquarters of the Football Association of Thailand (FAT). All three were members of Thai under-18 team which won the gold medal at the recent Asem Youth Games.

The programme is part of a sponsorship deal between Chang Beer and the English outfit. Despite some early controversy, the first part of the programme was successful as the first two boys, Sompong Sorlarp and Rattanapol Piyawuthisakul, have already graduated from the Everton Academy.

This year the programme has been adjusted to make sure there will be no more misunderstandings.

More than 180 youngsters from across the country took part in a three-day selection trial under the management of Ray Hall, the Everton Academy manager.

Hall said he had to make some difficult decisions as all six players who reached the final round were equally good.

?It was very difficult to eliminate any one of them. So I had to select the ones who were really outstanding,? said Hall.

?I have to say congratulations to the boys who qualified, wish them well and hope they have a great time at Everton. For those who failed to make the cut, I believe if they continue to work hard, their time will come one day.?

Asked about the differences between the boys selected and the ones who missed out, Hall said they all had different attributes.

?The boy who is tall and dark [Ronnachai] is a striker, which any team in the world would like to have.

He can score a lot of goals, play well with either foot and has awesome pace.

?The thick boy [sakarin] has a very good left foot and has good technique both when receiving and passing the ball. While the last one passes the test because he shows very good sportsmanship and is good at passing both long and short balls,? said Hall.

Hall also hinted that if the Thai boys do well during their training, they have a chance to join Everton?s youth team. ?Sure, but they have to show mental and physical strength. And it also depends on both on and off the pitch performances.?

Ronnachai, who wants to follow in the footstep of Thailand Thai star Kiartisak Senamuang by playing abroad, said he was ecstatic to be a part of the programme and was looking forward to gaining experience with Everton.

?I?m very delighted to join the programme,? he said. ?This opportunity is a once in a lifetime experience. I promise to do my best during the training to gain as much experience as possible.?

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a lot of gooners its a sad day. Vieira has signed with Juventus. From the first game where he came on against Sheff Wedneday 9 years ago he was immense. I'm glad the last thing he did on the pitch for Arsenal was the winning PK in the cup final. Good luck Paddy. I think Wenger will pull something out of his magic hat. He's building his 3rd team and this one will be better than any prior one. Interestingly enough, there is a rumor we are buying a keeper named Vieira. He's supposed to be Uraquay's #1. Good luck in Turin Paddy!!

nah,your idea last Year and you done the honours.

as your Team finished higher than mine last Season i think you have higher authority to start the next one....... :worship:

fuck,what's Keano gonna do in the Arsenal Games this Season with no Vieira to have a running battle with?.......... :dunno:

SWP to Chelsea for 21 million quid. It now looks like there is a logjam at the midfielder position. Makelele enables Chelsea to go forward and stretch the field without being punished by the opposition's counter attack. SWP can also be a striker IMHO. Having a midfielder as your leading goal scorer like last year for Chelsea with Lampard is not good. SWP is versatile and Crespo is a huge upgrade over Kezmen.

Rumor has it that Ballack can be had for 15 million quid. This could be Ferguson's last transfer before the start of the season. I don't think he is a long term replacement for Giggs but he is for Scholes IMO.

About Paddy, CS, last year you posted on this board that Arse should have sold him to Real Madrid. If Arse gets Baptista, they should be fine with all of that young talent.

Belem, I was tired of the constant flirtation with Real Madrid and thought we were better selling a player that didn't want to be there. He seemed to have changed his mind. No matter what he has to be considered one of the greats of Arsenal. In hindsight I think we were better off selling him and when the offer came in, Wenger should have helped out the door.

Spurs have made a higher bid for Baptista but its gotta be what is called a 'piss take' because he won't go that club when clubs like Arsenal and Barca are interested in him. I really like Baptista because he offers a unique combination that you can't find anywhere. He can play as a central midfielder as well as a center forward. He was a center mid at Sao Paolo and in his early days at Sevilla and was converted to striker out of necessity. Having him play center mid for us would be like almost playing a 4-3-3 depending on the game.

SWP to Chelski is a big sale. We were never going to bid that much for him.

Sayjann, using your criteria, Chelseafan needs to start the next thread. Perhaps Bibblies if one considers winning the CL higher than the PL.

Watched Real Madrid against the LA Galaxy(Real won 2-0)last night on FoxSportsWorld. Real blew many scoring oportunities. Zidane is truly a magician with the ball in traffic and man, what a cannon of a leg Roberto Carlos has on his long strikes. I love a defender who gets into the attack.

Archived