Football (soccer) Corner

Steve

I hear Ledley King might do a Sol Campbell and defect to Arsenal after the season. His agent says he has not signed the contract extension Tottenham offered him . His agent has also said King wants Champions League football and the opportunity to win championships. With Tottenham on a winning tear of late, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sayjann, a derby is a derby, some derbies aren't as important as others when multiple clubs are involved. Fair statement? For instance, which is bigger Arsenal v. Tottenham or Arsenal v. Fulham?

Which is bigger to mackems, Sunderland v. Newcastle or Sunderland v. 'Boro?

So is your inference then that Bolton is as important to Man Utd fans as Arsenal is to Tottenham?

I never said it wasn't a derby, I'm talking about how important it is to the fans. So, I may be completely off. I grant that. But please tell me straight out then that Man Utd sees all their derbies equally?

I've never disputed that the intensity of Liverpool and Man Utd is less than Arsenal v. Chelsea because one is over 30 miles away and the other is only several tube stops away.

In my original post I named derbies that weren't in the same city (the northeast derbies for example).

Well, Chelseafan has taken some early piss taking and early season gloating. Fair enough. 1955 is a long time. Mourinho as well as Fergie and Wenger has made statements.

Man Utd 0 v. Tottenham 0

The 'new' Spurs look good. Had Santini still been the manager they'd have lost this game. Robinson was certainly the MOTM. Man Utd were unlucky not to score and were very lucky to have a goal against them not given. If ever there was any more clearer evidence of partial treatment at OT it has to be this. The ball clearly crossed the line. It was obvious to everyone. I was watching the game live and was wondering why the score didn't change. The Man Utd fans were stunned silent. If there was ever a more egregious goal stolen I can't find it in my brief fan of the sport.

The only solace for Tottenham is that they have effectively left Man Utd out of the title chase being 11 back now and will have to battle for a runner up spot by trying to catch Arsenal.

I think that this draw could be put squarely on the shoulders or hands of Rooney. Had he been in the game I think the result would have been different. Smith was left on his own up front and couldn't breech the Spurs back line. Had Rooney, RVN or even Saha been in for support, I feel Man Yoo would have nicked it. Oh well, you win some, you draw some.

Arsenal 1 v. Citeh 1

It was a matter of time. Man City played great and kept their form. So congrats to them for an earned point. I think the problem for us at the moment was the same problem we had in '03. Injuries. Our decimated backline cost us goals toward the end. Now we are in a title run and under pressure for wins and we have to do it without Reyes, Bergkamp, Silva, Edu and over the last 2 games, Lauren. We played 4 kids tonight Cesc, Senderos, Hoyte and van Persie. We had kids on the bench who you had to be a die hard gooner to even recognise their names (Larsson, Clichy, Owusu-Abeyie). Our skipper let us down in the game. Vieira passes were so bad that he even put hands to his hands in horror. He's never been the same since he flirted with going to Real Madrid and I may be pummeled by other gooners for saying this but maybe we should have taken the 23 million quid and bid for Gerrard or get another top class center mid.

7 points seems insurmountable against this Chelsea side. I think the only hope now is to keep getting results and if they lose or drop points between now and February then a draw v. Man Utd won't be a death knell.

The bad is the draw and possibly loss of a title this year, the ugly would be if we give up all hope and let Man Utd nick us for 2nd. No matter what I'd rather finish ahead of Man Yoo. Chelsea have 2 league cup semi finals agianst Man Yoo and they are in the FA cup and CL and possibly will drop league points by trying to win all of the competitions and that may offer us some hope. Still too much football left.

I've said before. If we lose the title to Man Yoo we were outmanaged. Even though they have outspent us, we've still managed (IMO and not Sayjann's...hehehe) to field a better XI than them in terms of skill and class. If we lose the title to Chelsea then we were outspent. And I take some solace in that. Chelsea far outspent any club in the world, possibly outspent Man Yoo and Real Madrid combined over the last year. The press will like the fact Arsenal or Man Yoo won't win it. But eventually they'll make the 'money' comments and be bored with it. Hey, if Roman came to us, I'd take the money so I can't blame Chelsea for taking the money. Its the best club money could buy figuretively and litterally. We'll have to deal with them until Roman gets tired of losing an estimated 150 mil quid annually and goes on to something else. I'll send him a few tapes of the Philadelphia 76ers and hopefully he'll decide to like basketball and buy us and we'll have Shaq, T Mac, Duncan and LaBron James in our starting line up (those players will mean nothing to non Yanks or non basketball fans).

Chelseafan, I won't concede the title yet but it looks very good for you guys. Confidence has to be brimming in West London. Its a shame Ranieri couldn't get it. As much as I hate Chelsea I like Ranieri personally and he's been a complete gentlemen. Just like at Valencia, he didn't get a chance to see the fruits of his labor. Cuper took his squad and got the praise.

as i said before i would think that Arsenal v Spurs is biggest in the mind of the average Arsenal supporter.

if you lose that game then it is all gloom and doom until the next game and the chance of revenge.

i don't think you understand the piss taking which takes place after a loss like this.

not a Derby but Pompey have beaten MU at Fratton Park for the last 2 Seasons and have you any idea of the piss taking i have had taken out of me?.

traditionly Sunderland v Newcastle is the big game in the NE.

no,MU supporters do not see all Derbies as equal just as Arsenal supporters do not.

some are more important than others.

Bolton v Man Utd is quite important to MU Fans,but more important to the Bolton Fans and why do you think that is?

the answer is in the question i asked you earlier and you have not answered yet.

have to dispute your claim that MU got favoured because they were at home.

it was another horrendus decision by the officials with both the Ref and Linesman being 30 Yards behind play and therefore unable to make a decision.

Fergie has long been an advocate of video replays and even though MU would have lost if the thing would have been in operation he is still calling for it.

unlike Wenger who never sees anything which goes against Arsenal at least Fergie has admitted it was a Goal.

and i have no problems with it as well.

just another crucial decision which has favoured the top 3.

Cole against Newcastle,Tiago against Liverpool and now this one.

i feel it is a shame that the new breed of Ref has no backbone and will not make a decision when it is needed.

but MU should have won and if not for Robinson then they would have been only 2 points behind the Arse.

15 Years since Spurs beat us at OT and only 2 Draws in the PL since it started......

i remember the 1999 Game when we won the PL,what a great Day.

and when will Keano get his 50th League Goal for MU?.

35 Games since he last scored and he wants that Goal so much and is getting forward so much and having 3-4 attempts at Goal every Game,but to no avail so far.

lets hope he gets it against Arsenal........

a good Day for Chelsea with MU and Arsenal dropping points and things are looking ominous,but never say never.

MU lost a 12 Point lead to Arsenal and Newcastle lost a 11 Point lead to MU.

still 48 Points to play for and do we know what might happen in the next 5 Months?.

never give up until it is impossible to catch up.....

sayjann said:

the answer is in the question i asked you earlier and you have not answered yet.

What question Sayjann? :dunno: if it is that derbies don't have to be in the same city, I said that in my first post and gave examples, including Man Utd and Liverpool which are over 30 miles away from each other.

I stated that there are so many London derbies and Wenger has an unbelievable record in them and he's not given the credit he deserves on it.

What other question are you referring to?

As far as the Man Utd v. Spurs, game, so what if Fergie admits it was a goal. There is no way Spurs is going to get the goal back after an admission and it was very obvious it was a goal and he'd look like a complete fool to claim otherwise. Just like how Man Utd never disputed RVN's kick on Cole's knee. It was painfully obvious looking at it what it was. And Fergie's wanting video replay doesn't negate the fact Man Utd has, by far, the benefit of doubt at OT. Things even out they say...except at OT. Their record of not getting penalties, etc. at OT is legendary. The referees are bullied by Ferguson and his players a lot I think (its also the opinion ofs a lot of neutrals).

Until Ashburton Grove is built, I fear we won't be able to do much against Chelsea. We've always been outspent by Man Utd and Wenger has had to outmanage him to win the titles. Chelsea's money dwarfs even Man Utd. They can make mistakes in the transfer market and still field strong teams. What I mean by that is, if Rio didn't work out at Man Utd, they'd have to suffer through it for a while because they couldnt' make another big signing for a while, but Chelsea has made some big mistakes that would cripple every other club and shrug it off: Crespo, Veron, Geremi and Mutu for example were all expensive buys that didn't work out and they were able to keep buying. Every other club would have to live with those mistakes for a few years. Even after AG is built, we'll still be far outspent but we'd at least get a deeper team in terms of quality.

chocolat steve said:

Well, Chelseafan has taken some early piss taking and early season gloating. Fair enough. 1955 is a long time. Mourinho as well as Fergie and Wenger has made statements.

Moi ? take the piss ? nah.....well ok a little, but my philosophy is to enjoy the moment, once again I'll say it, but I dont think Chelsea will have the staying power, however I didn't think they would pick up 12/12 over Xmas and they did, this team continues to prove me wrong. And for that I'm grateful.

Chelseafan, I won't concede the title yet but it looks very good for you guys. Confidence has to be brimming in West London. Its a shame Ranieri couldn't get it. As much as I hate Chelsea I like Ranieri personally and he's been a complete gentlemen. Just like at Valencia, he didn't get a chance to see the fruits of his labor. Cuper took his squad and got the praise.

I admit its looking good, but seven points is only two wins and a draw, if we lost to the Arse and to United then its game on for you guys, however, if we can come out of those games with a draw, then I'll be extremely happy.

We've got a tough month ahead of us, what with playing United twice and playing Spurs at WHL.

As for the money aspect, I'm pleased to see you agree that any club would be happy to take in someone like Abramovich, we were lucky, as I understood it, he was looking at Spurs first.....Now that IS something to rub in their faces.

Agrred, Ranieri was a decent fella, I remember the end of last season when everyone was mightily pissed off that he was released from his contract, those same people are now hailing Mourinho as a hero,......how times change

p.s.

I was one mightily happy fella last night :beer:

sayjann said:

As i said before i would think that Arsenal v Spurs is biggest in the mind of the average Arsenal supporter.

I think that is the biggest only because of the local rivalry and history between the two clubs, however, I wonder if the Arsenal / Chelsea match would be as big these days ? could be wrong, what does CS think ?

I hear that the linesman didn't see it as his red/white scarf flew into his eyes at the exact moment the ball crossed the line ?? :neener:

Anyhow I know Martin Jol is new to Spurs, but hasn't someone told him that he's team isn't allowed to shot at goal at Old Trafford as per FA regulation 12, sub-section C ?? ::

Archived