Football (soccer) Corner

Steve

you may have answered my question but i knew your answer would be different to mine.

you go on about how difficult it is for London Teams to get on as so many Derbies and then you concede that other Teams play Derbies while not being in the same City.

now i will answer my question to you because you don't see my point.

City Supporters sing 'theres only one Team in Manchester' because they are right in a sort of way.

Man City are within the City of Manchester while Man Utd are not.

Salford is in Greater Manchester along with Bolton and Stockport to name 2.

so in theory MU's REAL Derbies are against Bolton and Stockport.

that is why Bolton love the visit of MU as to them it is a real Derby.

but the MC/MU game is still looked upon as the biggest.

interested in your comments about Fergies thoughts.

you say he knows they cannot win the PL or beat Milan.... ::

he has admitted things will be hard from now on but nowhere have i seen him say what you say.

so i imagine he has had a Beer with you recently and told you this?..... ::

loved your comment about he knows they cannot beat Milan..... :yikes:

you are in hicksville and have no idea what he says on camera,Media reports are changed so much.

i am a sad barstard and watch MUTV and he is chomping at the bit.

he has admitted that MU might lose against Milan but he promises his Team will give their best.

i have to agree he won't play the Kids against Chelsea in the CC,but only because we do not have many.

but it will be basically the same Team which has got us to the SF.

so which 'big names' do you think will come into the Team?

you guarantee me that the kids will not play?,lets exchange our squad for the Game and see who gets the most right.

Frogpatrol was right about us having the monopoly on this thread(and Gooner Corner).

think i must stay away until i have something to make you look bad again........ :neener:

• Replies 578
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sayjann said:

Chelseafan

you are right in the respect about Arsenal/Spurs being the biggest because of the history and traditions between the Clubs,and this will always be the case.

Chelsea may be a big Team these Days but it has not always been the case.

they seemed to be so close many times but never quite got there for many Years.

looking at the Table these shows Chelsea top of the pile,do you honestly think they would be there if not for Mr.Roman?

Of course not. Do you think United would of had all their success had they not spent a bob or two ?

since he has arrived he has spent more Money than MU and Arsenal put together in his quest to get success.

You are kidding Sayjann, United have spent millions over the past years ensuring they have the best team and maintaining dominence in the Premiership.

Abromovich has done to Chelsea in a year what United did in 10. Every team that has won the title has "bought it", whether it be united, milan, barca or Blackburn!!!

Arsenal are probably an exception to the rule, however before the "crazy price tags", they splashed a few bob out on the likes of overmars, Kanu, Ljungberg. At the time, these players were expensive, you look at them now and they're bloody bargains!

Arsenal losing against Chelsea is tragic for them,but a loss against Spurs will devastate the Arsenal supporters.

I think this season if Arsenal should lose to both Chelsea and Spurs, it would hit the fans equally as hard, for differing reasons though.....

I still maintain my statement about the London derbies, basically Arsenal (and the other London clubs) have more. I may be wrong but I don't think I am till I get a consensus I am not. There are derbies and rivalries. Arsenal has a long standing rivalry with Man Utd, Leeds and Liverpool who are not derbies. All I said was Wenger has not gotten the credit he deserves for his derby record. This other stuff about what is and what is not a derby is off the tanget. But I play along as I usually do..lol...

Sayjann, I hear a lot about Ronaldo not settling in with the players at OT. That he's disliked for his selfishness on the pitch. A lot was made of Neville running across the pitch to swear at him. (isn't that Keane's job or is he too crocked to do that any more and does the icy stare thing instead?). A man utd supporting friend i have doesn't think Ronaldo will be there for another year, 2 at the most.

Chelseafan, I hear ya and that would be the excuse I would say as well. One of your supporters co-hosts a football show here (the only such one in the nation frankly) and he said the same thing "everyone buys the title". As for our money spent on Kanu and Freddie (Freddie was actually fairly cheap, only about 3 mil quid). We developed unknown players like Anelka and their (Overmars, Petit) heads got turned by more famous clubs like Barca and Real Madrid and we got a lot of money for them. That's part of all clubs large and small. You find a young player, develop them and someone comes in and offers a lot of money for the finished product.

However, back to the money part. If Roman had bought..say...Spurs and did the same thing, I can assure you Blues fans would be saying Spurs have bought the title.

Big clubs in each league like Bayern, Juve, Real Madrid, Ajax and Man Utd will always have more than the other clbus in their respective league but the amount of money at Chelsea's disposal is practically obscene.

We developed unknown players like Anelka and their (Overmars, Petit) heads got turned by more famous clubs like Barca and Real Madrid and we got a lot of money for them.

Although I agree with you that wenger is good at picking up talent from abroad, you could hardly call Overmars an unknown player. When he moved to Arsenal, he'd already played two champions league finals, won the champions league and the world cup with Ajax, and had been a full international for 4 years, reaching the quarter finals in the world cup of '94. He was very much an established player then.

What I don't understand is why most english managers only seem to look at other PL clubs for boasting their squad. Players are very much overpriced. Look at Souness wanting to buy Boa Morte for more than 3 million pounds. Is he crazy? He should look at the continent. Equally good defenders can be had for much less than that!

Chelseafan.

my comments about Chelsea's spending compared th the Others was confined to the timeframe since the Roman has been at the Club.

of course Utd have spent quite a bit of money in the last 10 years,but not sure wether they actually bought the Title.

they normally bought 2-3 Players to replace older ones or for positions which needed strengthening.

unlike Chelsea who have been on spending sprees and just bought loads of Players just for the sake of it and some of them at highly inflated prices.

many do not play and i can see some leaving soon.

people go on about the stupid amount MU paid for Rooney and while i agree to an extent people must not forget there were many conditions to the sale.

only 8 Mill down and Everton will get 2 Mill every time MU win the PL and CL in the time Rooney is at the Club.

so that's at least 10 Mill knocked off the price because MU will not win the CL in the next 5 Years.

and he was bought for the future,still a boy who will hopefully mature soon and is still growing.

give him 2-3 Years and we will see a different Player.

but i still don't like him but as a MU Player i will cheer his every Goal.

Steve.

'Red' Nev has been the new spokesman and bollocker on the pitch for a while now.

Keano has mellowed and handed over the baton to dear old Gary.

but he still has his moments because he is a winner and has standards and will soon tell Players if he thinks they are underchieving on the Pitch.

BTW i think he has been outstanding this Season in his new role.

he seems to be playing more as a sweeper but still manages to get forward and help out in attack.

one of Fergies best ever buys.....

BTW Chelseafan.

stop starting new Football Threads,this is the only and only Thread started by my nemesis...... :worship:

sayjann said:

Chelseafan.

my comments about Chelsea's spending compared th the Others was confined to the timeframe since the Roman has been at the Club.

Well thats not exactly a good comparison is it....

of course Utd have spent quite a bit of money in the last 10 years,but not sure wether they actually bought the Title.

they normally bought 2-3 Players to replace older ones or for positions which needed strengthening.

unlike Chelsea who have been on spending sprees and just bought loads of Players just for the sake of it and some of them at highly inflated prices.

many do not play and i can see some leaving soon.

With the exception of Veron, Mutu and Crespo, the others have been fantastic buys. I don't think we've bought too many players, todays football is a squad game, there will be many injuries throughout the season as Man U, Arsenal and Chelsea are all experinceing at present (Arsenals small squad seems to be hitting them most)

people go on about the stupid amount MU paid for Rooney and while i agree to an extent people must not forget there were many conditions to the sale.

only 8 Mill down and Everton will get 2 Mill every time MU win the PL and CL in the time Rooney is at the Club.

so that's at least 10 Mill knocked off the price because MU will not win the CL in the next 5 Years.

and he was bought for the future,still a boy who will hopefully mature soon and is still growing.

give him 2-3 Years and we will see a different Player.

but i still don't like him but as a MU Player i will cheer his every Goal.

Steve.

'Red' Nev has been the new spokesman and bollocker on the pitch for a while now.

Keano has mellowed and handed over the baton to dear old Gary.

but he still has his moments because he is a winner and has standards and will soon tell Players if he thinks they are underchieving on the Pitch.

BTW i think he has been outstanding this Season in his new role.

he seems to be playing more as a sweeper but still manages to get forward and help out in attack.

one of Fergies best ever buys.....

BTW Chelseafan.

stop starting new Football Threads,this is the only and only Thread started by my nemesis...... :worship:

Yeah but it gets too big....the thread I mean !!!

Soongmak, yes Overmars was a major buy like Bergkamp before him. I meant to say our stars had their heads turned to more storied clubs. Petit wasn't a complete unknown as well. He made his name with us, but he was tracked by a few clubs. Anelka was the biggest diamond in the rough that we got a lot of money for.

Archived