2005 Best Mobile Deals

Guy Himmaparn

Which mobile service would you recommend for a six-week stay in LOS? We'll be spending a good deal of our time in the South (Krabi) and other areas outside of BKK.

Last year I bought a 1-2-Call phone on my sister-in-law's recommendation, and I was happy with the reception everywhere we went, but I noticed that a few here have mentioned that other carriers are much cheaper and provide equal-if-not better service. I gave her the phone when we returned to California, so I plan on bringing a tri-band GSM phone with me from here.

Would I be better off buying both the phone and SIM card in MBK? What's the latest & greatest in the Krunthep mobile world?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most phones from the States are locked. When you take into consideration the cost of unlocking and the cost of the phone, it probably is cheaper in the long run to buy in Bangkok.

As for simm chips, all of the ones I have seen in the States want a small fortune for every minute of usage. If you use it over seas, they want a large fortune for each minute/second of usage.

Buy locally. Get one of the specials that maybe offered at the time.

Nervous_Dog said:Panasonic have a tiny little tri band for about 4500 baht.
The Pana A100 that I use goes for about ~B3200 if you negotiate right at MBK. It is tri-band so it can be used in the States and is very good at being a phone. It does not take crappy pictures or play music. Just a phone. Highly recommended.

Cheers,

SD

most of the USA phones do not have removable simms

you can get the unlock code by doing a google search

the one thing is do you have a 220v charger that is needed in thailand?

Suadum took me to MBK and helped me get my german phone set-up,

3rd=4th floor of MBK is more phones than you ever want to see !

Mostly in the 3000-4000 baht range but many cheaper.

OC

Thanks to you all for the quick responses. I'll either bring an unlocked tri-band with me, or opt for the 4th floor MBK option. New unlocked Moto V60i's can be gotten on eBay for under $100 US, which is less than I paid for the enrty-level Nokia I bought in BKK last year.

What about the SIM card? Which carrier has the best coverage outside of BKK?

One advantage of Happy Dprompt is that the cell you are connected to is displayed on your screen. You can tell approximately where you are in the city, just by the name of the cell you are connected to, including Soi Cowboy, MBK, & Bumrungrad Hospital, among others.

Of the three major SIM-using networks, I only had good luck with sending & receiving international SMS with Happy Dprompt.

Archived