2005 Best Mobile Deals

Guy Himmaparn

johnsanders said:

One advantage of Happy Dprompt is that the cell you are connected to is displayed on your screen. You can tell approximately where you are in the city, just by the name of the cell you are connected to, including Soi Cowboy, MBK, & Bumrungrad Hospital, among others.

Of the three major SIM-using networks, I only had good luck with sending & receiving international SMS with Happy Dprompt.

That cell broadcast location thingy is a function of your phone, not the carrier (works on wifey's Nokia w/AIS; just have to turn it on or off from some buried menu). If you look closely, the entry for Soi Cowboy actually reads "Soi Comboy" :D.

Zero trouble sending/receiving SMS anywhere in the world with AIS and customer service is top notch. Most pricy, but widest coverage area in LoS by far as well. I may not like Thaksin, but I do give credit where it is due.

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ironically I can SEND to Canada, howevver the Rogers (I think) network there doesn't send back to me!

So my guys in Canada get SMS from me, then call me the answer to whatever inane question I ask.

Thereby proving sadly that the AIS network is better than the Canadian!

This from a honorary Canuk!

Funuk I say

DOG - SLed

That cell broadcast location thingy is a function of your phone, not the carrier (works on wifey's Nokia w/AIS; just have to turn it on or off from some buried menu). If you look closely, the entry for Soi Cowboy actually reads "Soi Comboy"

I used all three major SIMs in Bangkok the last couple of times, with the same phone, and only Happy Dprompt gave the cell information. I also used two different SIMs in the Philippines, and one in Brazil, plus several in the USA, and none of the others showed the cell info. Same phone.

If you could tell me which phone setting you are talking about, to display cell information, I would appreciate it.

johnsanders said:

One advantage of Happy Dprompt is that the cell you are connected to is displayed on your screen. You can tell approximately where you are in the city, just by the name of the cell you are connected to, including Soi Cowboy, MBK, & Bumrungrad Hospital, among others.

I am curious as to whether there is any practical use for this feature? I myself have never seen any use for it. The GF suggested if one was paralytic on drink it might come in useful, but I guess I don't drink enough.

johnsanders said:If you could tell me which phone setting you are talking about, to display cell information, I would appreciate it.
Every phone is different, but you are looking for something like "Cell Broadcast" and toggle it on. Maybe the Happy SIMs do this automatically? Dunno. But for sure it works on wifes Nokia 2100 with an AIS 1-2-Call SIM.

Cheers,

SD

Guy Himmaparn said:

What about the SIM card?

DTAC prepaid sim card is 199 baht. Not sure about the other carriers. Perhaps AIS has wider coverage, but also depends on location, for instance i know of one area where dtac works but no AIS coverage. Guess the same applies vice-versa. But for the main touristic/big towns, u should be ok with all.

suadum said:

That cell broadcast location thingy is a function of your phone, not the carrier (works on wifey's Nokia w/AIS; just have to turn it on or off from some buried menu). If you look closely, the entry for Soi Cowboy actually reads "Soi Comboy" :D. ...

With the old Nokia 3100 that I use, using AIS, in Pattaya I see "Royal Garden", "Soi Beua Khao" (however it's spelled), etc., but I don't get any location info in BKK

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[color:"red"] johnsanders said: One advantage of Happy Dprompt is that the cell you are connected to is displayed on your screen. You can tell approximately where you are in the city, just by the name of the cell you are connected to, including Soi Cowboy, MBK, & Bumrungrad Hospital, among others. [/color]

and then Palatkik asked

[color:"blue"] "I am curious as to whether there is any practical use for this feature? I myself have never seen any use for it. The GF suggested if one was paralytic on drink it might come in useful, but I guess I don't drink enough. "

[/color]

I find it very practical - it tells you exactly where you are - in some cases even the name of the building. If you get lost, just check your phone and cross reference with a map.

suadum said:

Zero trouble sending/receiving SMS anywhere in the world with AIS and customer service is top notch. Most pricy, but widest coverage area in LoS by far as well. I may not like Thaksin, but I do give credit where it is due.

Cheers,

SD

Thanks saudum. We'll be spending most of our time in Krabi province, as that's where my wife's family is located. 1-2-Call provided excellent reception even on remote islands & beaches last year, but if I could get equal service for 1/2 the price, I'd go with DTAC.

Does anyone here have experience with them in the Andaman area?

TIA

Archived