Stickman's column this week...

bibblies

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rainbow2 does have nice looking women, but the way they hassle you for drinks, etc.- I am out the door.

A week's worth of teaching them some manners might help, but I doubt that also.

[color:"white"] XXXXXXXXXXX [/color] Stickman, keep the chin up, you are not the only person who catches hell.

[color:"white"] . . . . . . . [/color] :chili: [color:"white"] . . . . [/color] :chili:[color:"white"] . . . . [/color] :chili:[color:"white"] . . . . . [/color] :chili: [color:"white"] . . . . . [/color] :chili: [color:"white"] . . . . . [/color] :chili: [color:"white"] . . . . . [/color] :chili: [color:"white"] . . . . . [/color] :chili:

[color:"green"]

Stickman said:

Nightlife authority?

Wasn't me who said this!

Let?s look at the three complaints you make:

- #33 is still around. Ok, so I was wrong. I guessed that she had probably been married off but was wrong. Is this such a big deal?!

It's a complaint against your lazy line of reasoning which went like this: 1. I saw some bargirl today who seems to have married. 2. Therefore some completely different bargirl must likely be married.

I mean, what the fuck sort of reasoning is that?? :dunno:

- You objected to the name Crazy Casey. When I see a couple of my mates I often say ?hello you fat cunt?. It doesn?t mean I hate them ? people often use such terms with people they are close to. A few of us referred to Casey like that ? and had you read closely, you would have seen that I had all positive stuff to say about him. Casey wouldn?t take the least offence. Man, you are ULTRA sensitive!

Nope, wrong again. I couldn't care less if you called him short-arsed wanker Casey (indeed, since I know his ex-wife better and she has gripes against him, why should I care?). I just commented on the Sun tabloid-type laziness of it. "Hmmm, I need some alliteration on this line. Now then, what begins with 'C'?..."

- You objected to what I said about Rainbow 2. I said that apart from pretty girls, there was nothing else in there. I stand by what I said and maintain that the atmosphere in there is so bad that irrespective of the fact that some of the girls are pretty, most Westerners I know do not like that bar. Compare it to say Playskool where the girls might not be quite as attractive but where one inevitably has a much better time.

You didn't say it very well the first time then, did you? As someone who makes English his profession, couldn't you have made the much-cliched point better?

It is quite obvious that this thread will just got the way of the usual ?Stickman is an asshole threads? that pop up every couple of months. Within a few posts someone will say that I am a hypocrite because I am anti the industry but write about it. Then someone else will say that it is wrong that I make money from advertising this and that. And then a few supporters will come on and assist to pick holes in the arguments. Then someone will abuse someone and Khun Sanuk will rightly shut it down. We?ve been there done that so many times?.

Who's being sensitive now? I doubt it'll deteriorate to that extent and, furthermore, since KS seemed to agree last time that your position was a bit funny, I doubt it'll be shut down for such a reason.

Anyway, as you are much closer to what is going on in the nightlife than I am ? and I don?t deny that for a moment because you come here twice a year which is much more often than I ever make it near the bars, do me a favour and let me know the news before midday in a Sunday. Email me at stickmanbangkok@hotmail.com. I?ll credit you for it all! Thanks!

Stick

Yeah, thanks. You're such a martyr, Stickman. If it weren't for you, I don't know what we'd do in finding out about Bangkok nightlife or other things. My contributions, as they are, go into this forum and others, not into a one-man site ego trip.

My main views can be summarised as follows:

1. It's not 1996 anymore. Now there are lots of sites which do what you do better. So you don't NEED to do it as a community service.

2. The archive stuff (general info & stuff) is fine and good but you'll never keep up with the fresh resources of hundreds of people on a forum. Tired warblings such as "Rainbow 2 - that's a bar full of good looking girls with attitude only looking for Japs" are so desperate, it's embarassing.

3. How much time do you spend on this stuff? I mean, unless it's making lots of money for you, don't you have better things to do with your time? If it does make money then good luck to you. If not, then why are you keeping up a column on a scene you don't much seem to care for anymore? Do you enjoy the Internet celebrity?

Guest lazyphil

<<A week's worth of teaching them some manners might help, but I doubt that also.>>

maybe send them to the same finishing school that us lot went to (the one my folks planned to send me to was bombed in WW2 by mistake, thats my excuse!)

bibblies said:

My contributions, as they are, go into this forum and others, not into a one-man site ego trip.

My main views can be summarised as follows:

1. It's not 1996 anymore. Now there are lots of sites which do what you do better. So you don't NEED to do it as a community service.

2. The archive stuff (general info & stuff) is fine and good but you'll never keep up with the fresh resources of hundreds of people on a forum. Tired warblings such as "Rainbow 2 - that's a bar full of good looking girls with attitude only looking for Japs" are so desperate, it's embarassing.

3. How much time do you spend on this stuff? I mean, unless it's making lots of money for you, don't you have better things to do with your time? If it does make money then good luck to you. If not, then why are you keeping up a column on a scene you don't much seem to care for anymore? Do you enjoy the Internet celebrity?

1.Where are all these other sites that do things so much better, do enlighten us. If you think stick is so crap why do you waste time reading it?

2.Your 'contributions' to this site seem to mainly consist of unfunny attempts and being amusing, having a go at other posters, and not much else.

3.You seem unable to understand that stick weekly is not just about the nightlife 'scene' and that he can comment on it without necessarily agreeing with all the aspects of it.

4.None of your business how much time he spends on it or how much he makes out of it.

5. Looks like his prediction was right-peter

I'm surprised Mighty Mouse complains about Rainbow 2 waitresses. After all, I thought he could get any Nana girl for 500B...

For what it's worth, my January experience of Rainbow 2 doesn't fit in with the cliched (and therefore worthless) Stickman "this is a Japanese bar, it's terrible and the girls won't want to go with you" report. I can state some plus points:

1. The girls are MUCH more attractive than the supposedly better Playskool bar. This may not mean a lot to the married, out-of-the-scene, Stickman but it does to me. I checked Playskool every time I went into Nana but I never saw anything that even remotely made me stay and sit down for one drink. Get the girls right is the number 1, number 2 and number 3 rule for every gogo bar and that's why I ridiculed what Stickman wrote.

2. The music that "only a Japanese would like" was liked by me because it different, it wasn't any of that tired, 50-something, middle-of-the-road American soft-rock crap and the girls jiggled well to it.

3. All the staff were fine and polite to me.

4. If you actually bothered to talk to the girls instead of assuming that they were only for the Japanese, you'd find out they were friendly and available. And, as Gadfly reported not long ago, you can bargain with them...

5. I went with two, both were fine, did everything and more. (In fact, neither minded me dressing them up in pretty dodgy gear and taking photos of them. :o)

6. I've been with 5 Rainbow2 girls and 5 Playskool girls in my time and the Rainbow2 girls have all been much, much better than the Playskool ones.

7. The best NEP girl I've ever known came from Rainbow2 (sanukdee can vouch for this!)

My suspicion is that the reputation of the Rainbow bars works against these girls. Sure, because of the number of Japanese in the bar, they're used to operating differently. They don't know much English and they don't know to behave with farangs, for instance. Some girls told me they assumed farangs wouldn't go with them. A couple of others (plain speakers I've known a while) even confessed that - shock ::- they didn't even like Japanese guys very much. (They don't like the smell of their food, the way they're expected to behave, various gripes like that...)

I notice the Japs will spend ages deliberating over one drink and the girls get bored as hell. Why don't you discreetly try butting in? Etc. Why doesn't Stickman mention this or other possible real pieces of new or different information rather than lazy regurgitated unchecked trash in his columns?

I'm against lazy journalism, that's why. Crap regurgitation of non-stories for the masses by writers who take a moral position against what they're writing about. Like your favourite paper, for instance (www.dailymail.co.uk).

I read Stickman in the same way as I'd read that rag - every six months, just to see if it had got any better.

Much better sites for information these days are this site and bangkoktonight.

As for criticism, etc - well if you publish an opinionated Internet weekly then you've got to expect feedback, not all of it being favourable. This is constructive, non-favourable. Non-constructive, non-favourable would be the one sentence "That's a pile of crap, Stickman". See the difference?

Btw, it's just a Sunday afternoon argument over nothing much - something that happened to catch my attention while I wasn't doing very much. Stickman should be glad of the extra hits he might get from this...

I agree with you 100% about the Daily Mail - The thing I find most scary about this paper is that it clearly knows it's market and seems to be taken serioulsy by it's the readers.

Regarding Stickman - only started reading it again recently- as I have got a trip coming up :: (and also the reason for being back on this site) - IMHO I think he gives a fair enough flavour of BKK, as previously said he does not claim to be an authority on Thailand.

I can't also see why being an "internet Celebrity" is anything to get het up about - I thought it would be quite fun a good few years ago, but gave up cause it was too much effort (and with too much abuse) but each to their own.

Mangosauce David? I haven't seen much from Mangosauce - apart from a few articles about the plight of female farangs in Thailand and Nasty Nigel - but it was funny.

It does give a fair enough flavour but I do think he's getting lazy and repetitive and want to point out that, if you want later, more accurate news, you'd be better off coming here or bkktonight. When I was staying in Thailand a few years ago, I was always surprised by how many people in the same position seemed to take Stickman as their sole Internet source of nightlife info so I'd always want to point out others. But imo his nightlife section, as opposed to his weekly, offers a very good introduction.

When I was staying in Thailand a few years ago, I was always surprised by how many people in the same position seemed to take Stickman as their sole Internet source of nightlife info so I'd always want to point out others

Whatever would folk (me included!) now do without the Internet :: ::

Archived