Stickman's column this week...

bibblies

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Phil,

OK, how about this? At one point, I was thinking about starting up a small sideline business to inform newbie tourists here in Hawaii, headed towards LOS, about ways to save money, rudimentary language, and a segment having to do with the nightlife there.

Let's look at the nightlife segment. What would I teach? I'd teach an overview of the situation. Where to go, places to avoid, and most of all, the time-honored phrase "Don't fall in love with a bar girl. Or at least, the first one you see". :D

I gotta gf these days, so don't indulge anymore. But does that make what I might teach totally invalid? Or make me a hypocrite? I don't think so. I might not be able to tell them exactly what is going on in any one bar at the time, but that does not make my knowledge of the overall scene any less, due to that fact. All of us not there, still have our ear to the ground.

So what would be so wrong with me doing that, or anyone else? You have to be actively fucking bargirls to have any valid points? Or making a buck talking about it, is only valid if still participating? Stephen Leather's novels are only good and valid, if he's waking up to a new strange face every morning?

If Stephen decides to get married and devote himself to a family life, should he then feel the need to pull all his books off the shelf? He wrote it, time evolved, and his views changed. So what? He is not a lesser person for that. Same goes for Stick.

Actually, Stephen is not a good example. But hopefully, you get my point. :D

HT

We get the point as any sensible person with no axes to grind would, it's just common sense, you would think. Some however will never see the point no matter what anyone says or however long the thread goes on. I expect it will all be brought up again the next time a new banner appears on stick's site or when, absolute horror, :( he makes a slight error or even worse expreses an opinion-peter

I read the weekly regularly, find it mildly entertaining, but would not call it informative. My problem with Stickman is not the hypocrisy issue, or even poor journalism, my problem is when he gets into the relationship advice business. I mean, here is a relatively young guy, and from what I know of him from his writings, pretty inexperienced and unworldly, giving advice on women. And IMHO, most of his advice is bad. It just seems he always brings it down to a money issue. But I guess if you have spent several years trying to make it in Thailand on teacher's salary, money (or lack of) becomes pretty much the center of your rather narrow universe.

I did get this weeks ?guess where this pic is? right, just not in time to win. :(

TH

thai3 said:

We get the point as any sensible person with no axes to grind would, it's just common sense, you would think. Some however will never see the point no matter what anyone says or however long the thread goes on. I expect it will all be brought up again the next time a new banner appears on stick's site or when, absolute horror, :( he makes a slight error or even worse expreses an opinion-peter

Actually, you don't get the point, and I think your "common sense" won't allow you to comprehend the point.

I don't have an axe to grind actually, I just find it entertaining to debate the issue and hear all the lame excuses Stikman's buddies use to defend something which is so blatantly obvious.

Over to you Thai3.

Prosal said:

Seems that Stickman's lucidity expose him to a strong reprobation from some guys for who any criticism is blasphemous, and that there's a kind of charia which banish everything which is not considered as a "right-thinking" vision of the hobby in Thailand ....

He's one of the guys who call a gloomy rathole full of butt-ugly unispired whores a gloomy rathole full of butt-ugly unispired whores : he portrays with acuteness, and it's true, often in an unfavorable light.

Personally, my favourite description of Nana Plaza comes from BangkokPhil. Now here's a guy who knows where he stands! And he can really write! I still piss myself on re-reading it...

http://philipwilliams.freeservers.com/pagen.html#nana

NANA PLAZA

Located on Sukhumwit soi 4 is another major go-go bar area called Nana Plaza, a three-storey complex of go-go bars catering for almost every perversion in the book and a few that aren?t in there yet.

I don?t care who disagrees with me, the place is an absolute dump. I was ( note the past tense) never able to sit comfortably in a Nana Plaza bar. I suppose I?m overly paranoid, but this place attracts a rather dodgy element of Bangkok ex-pat among its regulars. Not only that, but the girls themselves often look drugged up to the eyeballs. Give me the friendliness of Soi Cowboy, or the razzamatazz of Patpong any day.

Over the last few days, I've recieved a fair amount of comments inferring that I've been a little too hard on Nana Plaza, so being a man of the world, I've re-written it in a vain attempt to please the pro-Nana brigade

Nana Plaza is an entertainment complex with a capital E. You?ll think you?ve died and gone to heaven. You might be bald, pot-bellied and have a face like a robber?s dog, but from the moment you sit down in one of the comfortable, air-conditioned bars, a bevy of the most beautiful girls you thought only existed in your dreams will descend on you like flies round a cow?s chuff. And as you sip on your ice-cold beer, and get more attention than Sean Connery in a 60?s Bond flick, you?ll feel like Caligula and John f***ing Holmes rolled into one. Many of the bar-owners like to make their customers feel extra welcome by coming up with really original ideas like ringing the bell at midnight and a hot pig roast. What imagination these people have. And don?t worry about getting Aids, oh no, don?t worry about that. The girls all take regular health check-ups, and they will tell you so. And they are to be believed, because they are such an honest and trustworthy lot. Nana Plaza- where Heaven meets Earth. Go find yourself an angel.

Archived