doxycycline, before or after meals???

Everywhere i have bought this has told me after meals, after a month of taking this with still no effects, a chemist told me it MUST be taken before meals....well it seems he was right, because the uti has dryed up in a week.

I had also taken two seperate doses of Zitromax, a week apart, 1000mg...but it didn't dry it up...supposedly this should have done the trick...anyone know why it didn't?

• 2 weeks later...

its back, started again the day after i stopped the doxy. Went to the doctor and he made an appointment to see the urologist...said maybe its incontinence...? I'm 33, is that possible?

I didnt take cyproflox this time, since it was just a clear drip, and because the doctor said cypro is for upper tract infections, and this was lower...

If it was incontinence, wouldn't the doxy have had no effect? But it did, it basically had stopped the drip until i stopped taking it...sometimes at night it would drip a bit after a piss, but during the day nothing...

Any suggestions?

Yes, it can upset the stomach. So try to take it at the beginning of a meal. Foods that contain a large percentage of starch, like toast, potato, pasta and rice, can definitely help. Avoid anything acidic if you experience gastric distress from doxycycline.

It also comes with a warning not to take antacids with it ... making it very tough for some on the gut.

Also, avoid alcohol while taking this antibiotic. Alcohol can reduce the effectiveness of this drug. I believe this is true with most antibiotics.

dude,

taking antibiotics such as Doxy or Zithromax with /after food, can reduce the plasma concentration ( ie effectiveness ) by as much as 50%

Zithromax doses of 1000 or 2000 mg ( the one shot shock treatment ) can end up giving u a jelly belly, but hey, its likely the drippy dick would clear up ! ::

Sounds like a trip down to see the plumbing consultant would be the ideal next step.

later,

Archived