Increasing Violence in Pattaya

stumpy

As anyone who reads the Pattaya Mail and Pattaya Today will have surely noticed there is a marked increase in the number of violent incidents being reported in Pattaya.

These include several shootings, armed robbery, a stabbing, more gang activity and the list of farangs who commit suicide in Thailand continues to grow.

Once has to wonder if targetting freelancers on the beach is really the best use of police resources. As non of the incidents reported seem to happen in these areas maybe the police should be concentrating their attentions elsewhere.

SD.

actually, if one reads the full articles in those newspapers Stumpy talks about, many of these kids get caught.

I would not underestimate the Pattaya police, for its intelligence of crime around the city. You'd be surprised how much they know, and even, about the girls, who can (did at least) use their services, in case of a farang reneging on his part of the bargain, or hitting her. Girl gets her money, cop gets his, and farang asshole gets his comeuppance. Desevedly.

May have changed with the re-organizing of police hierarchy of the last few years, not sure. The intelligence is getting better, anyway.

Stumpy

I guess if i was going to live in Pattaya i would make sure i lived on the ground floor.

There does seem like a lot of assisted jumps in Pattaya.

I think it is a violent place but not sure if it is any worse than 10 years ago.

Maybe some Pattaya residents have thoughts on the matter.

Hey, 127, are you sure 'bout that? Pattaya police intelligence (PPI) may be an oxymoron. However, you are correct about the boys in brown being "piece" officers. ::

How many acts of violence are committed against falangs by locals though? Not that I am unsympathetic to victims of violence but my Darwinian sense of self preservation kicks in from time to time. As long as falangs are not targeted, I won't worry about it as much. Yes, I should be concerned about any violence but not much I can do about it can I?

I don't know too many places, given the socio-economic status of most residents in Pattaya, that I would feel safe walking back, half drunk to my hotel room at at 3am than in Pattaya. Try walking around in that state in south London or south Central LA.

Every city has violence. A lot of it unreported.

Any place that attracts criminals will probably have a little more than other places. Farang and Thai criminals abound in Ptty. As they do in Bkk. Just that Ptty is a lot more condensed. I don't know if it's increasing probably always there at a similar level but now has slight variation on the same theme. Anyone heard of people being chained to the end of the pier recently? Wasn't that in vogue half a dozen years ago or more? Nowadays the crims aren't so inventive. Just chuck 'em out a window or shoot 'em.

Archived