Indonesia overstay?

Gents,

I screwed up and only took a 3 day visa on arrival. I reasonably thought my work would be finished by then. Well, it seems that I will be overstaying at least one day, and maybe two. Anyone have any ideas of the penalties and procedures that I will have to endure? A web search shows a US$20 or US$30/day overstay fee and possible blacklisting, but no more details and with two different amounts, I am not sure I can trust any of the info.

The daft buggers here do not allow you to extend your visa -- you have to leave the country and come back and get a new one.

Cheers,

SD

Hi-

Depending upon where you are and I asume it is Jakarta

they will fuck with (extort)you as you leave (Lived in Bali for years)

"Negotiate" your own exit strategy AT the Immigration desk

when you leave.Be cool-Chek the gy out before you ofer.Dont go to the ofice if you can help it.Its always different depending upon which fukwit is working.

30$US should do it-Jika bicara Bahasa Indo lebbih bike.

Theyare rotten. :(

If thy have you they will turn the scerws

Let me know how it goes. :)

Unless the ovesrtay fee was changed when they inacted the VOA program it should still be $25 USD a day.

Basically the way that any official office works in Indonesia is that a petty official will use any excuse possible to collect unofficial levies. My wifes a lawyer and they keep meticulous records of who they pay, how much and for what. Thats because if you pay too much once youll never get the old price again.

In my dealings I have found that speaking Indonesian to immigration worker is not an advantage. I only speak English to them. They want your money let them work for it. First time I ever went to Indonesia they didn't stamp my passport when I went in. I was there for more than a week before it got sorted out, it cost me 20,000 IDR which was about USD 25 at the time. My duaghter overstayed for more than a year when she was born, and they wanted 10,000 USD. But they settled for 1,000 in the end.

Just go tell your story and deal with it. Being dumb, friendly, and very patient helps alot. If you have a cell phone it might be usefull to have your embassies phone number ready, you might even call before you leave.

Wow guys can't you be a bit more encouraging......I have to meet him in BKK on Friday night for a very important meeting..!!!!!

Hope it turns out much better than you think it will.

C U Friday

UG

Wow guys can't you be a bit more encouraging......I have to meet him in BKK on Friday night for a very important meeting..!!!!!

Many more people overstay every year than are thrown in jail for overstaying, is that more encouraging? Overstaying is no big deal people do it all the time. Like wise for paying bribes. No big deal people do it all the time. In fact my wife is so accustomed to paying bribes that she just tips everyone. She thinks thats more fair than just tipping (bribing) the people that ask for money.

This seems to be a minor issue and quite common. You shouldn't have to pay much.

They shake you down for whatever they can. They can ALWAYS find some reason.

I lived in Jakarta for 5 years and I have many many stories about shake-downs. Even our US Embassy evacuation flight in May '98 was delayed by a few hours because the general responsible for the military air base we evacuated from demanded money from the US government.

Lots stories.

Maybe we'll talk on your return Friday....

Thanks all for the info. It turned out to be painless. I chose the female immigration officer, wore a shirt I got from the Marine Security Guard Detachment at the US Embassy in Thailand (let 'em make assumptions about who/what I may be :devil:), and played dumb and sweet (no speaking Bahasa and lots of smiles/politeness). She was nice and polite and charged me US$20 or Rp200,000 as indicated by the Indo Immigration website. No dramas. No blacklisting. No request for obscene amounts as a bribe.

I thought that this would be the case, but when dealing with Indonesia, one can never be sure.

So see some of you for "The Further Adventures at Buffalo Bridge" tomorrow night!

Cheers,

SD

Archived