The Union of Myanmar

buffalo_bill

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cent,

to answer your questions, scrutiniser :

cannot tell you anything about the sanuk scene in Burma because did not see anything, have not heard anything. simply did not care about. nonetheless keeping fingers crossed that Buddha may protect them from a Thai-style 20000 farmgirl exodus into the Rangoon brothels one day. One Thailand is enough if you ask me.

Beer is called "Tiger" and something like Singha, no complaints. The food in Burma is a problem , far from LOS-standards. While I often eat at foodstalls at the roadside in bkk, did not do the same in Burma. the only Burma-related warning which I observed was to be careful with food. So did only eat in the hotel which is expensive and again far from bkk-possibilities.

Temples I did not visit because I have been suffering from a temple-allergy since I visited Lungsan-temple in Taipei 20 years ago. I am simply not interested in temples, pagodas, ruins, churches . Means nothing to me I'm afraid.

About the seaside I heard people saying it must be absolutely worth going there but again I would consider that Burma so far has no infrastructure anywhere which you might enjoy on Phuket. Things can get boring if there is only sand and sea. Go and have a look.

Lots of people speak English, easier to communicate than in Thailand , even countryside.

I walked through Rangoon twice very late after midnight because did not find a taxi, first it was a bit frightening because they do not have much light. No neon, no shops, no bars. Never felt unsafe though.

About the cars I doubt I will ever find them again and also I would hate to see anybody to destroy the place. Let them rest in peace . They were too rotten for restauration anyway.

My stoneage knives are for real and as I found out later they are easy to buy . Even better are bronze-age items.

I recommend a CENTRAL SCRUTINY done by yourself, you will enjoy it.

cheers

PS : no mobile phones in Burma, you soon realise what a pest this has become everywhere.

Hi All,

Thanks for an insightful report BB, I have an opinion too.....I teach at a community college here and a former student helper was from Burma and he is back by now I am sure....anyway, what a nice young man....his feeling about the political situation in Burma was fatalistic but uncomplaining-kind of a Buddhist thing, he felt the "world" didn't really care about the oppression that goes on in his country, but that Aung Suu Kiy, would become its leader by persistence of "faith" and "rightful purpose"...... but on visiting his country he felt that it could do some good for the average Burmese. He adivised avoiding the expensive state sponsored hotel-tour guided visit....hitting the countryside and staying at local/small hotels or even with a Burmese family-like his-poor rice farmers...... I am going soon, its a must see for yourself kind of place-similar to Cambodia of 6 years ago?? Sanuk???? well, of course its there, but hidden....you should go back and check the plaza's regional section, and as in most countries just ask.....

Interesting thread.

I have been to Burma a few times and would like to share my impressions.

Surely, the regime is committing serious human righs violations. However, this is mostly directed towards active members of the NLD or take place in the provinces, where the ethnic minorities live. Therefore, if you are travelling in the areas where the ethnic burmese lives, you will not see many signs of this. I have travelled in the central drylands, and visited a lot of villages, where people were dirt poor, but they had no problems with the authorities.

It is difficult for me to compare their human rights record with other similar countries, but I would still assume that it is not as bad as you can find it in quite a lot of countries in Africa. They are doing forced labour and forced relocations, but I dont think they do extrajudicial killings that you see in Africa or some Central and Latin American countries for that matter. And many of the political prisoners are "only" under house arrest, under quite tolerable conditions.

In any case it is always a dificult question how you should address a situation like this. In my opinion isolation is the worst approach. It has not worked in Iraq, North Korea or anywhere else I know of. Better to keep political and business channels open. That way there might at least be a hope for long term change. Remember that Thailand was a military dictatorship not that long ago (although off course never as bad as Burma).

As far as sanuk is concerned there is plenty around. However, mostly for the locals. I have never tried myself. Too much of a risk, since as a westener the secret police might decide they want to use it agaist you. However, I went to a few kareokee places in Mandalay where it was obvius that you could get company. Also saw a street in downtown Rangoon with a few clubs, with hostesses standing outside.

My recommendation would be to visit the country for the encredible sights (mandalay, sagain, the swedagon pagoda, etc.), but save the sanuk for Thailand. And last but not least. Dont bother to flame me. I am certainly not a member of the SPDC fanclub. Just a realist.

Archived