National Science Museum!!

Long Gun

I can’t even decide which section this belongs in but I just remembered I meant to post something about this place after I took my kids (5 and 8) there on National Children’s Day. I can’t think of another place I’ve been to in Thailand that they have managed to get quite as ‘just right’ as this. For those with nippers, or other’s nippers to entertain, this place is an absolute winner, and I would imagine that it would keep some of our older loved ones entertained for a few hours as well, especially if tied in with a visit to Dreamworld or Future Park in Rangsit.

I’ve misplaced the leaflet but will try to dig it out before I post this but it’s off the Rangsit – Nakhon Nayok road, the same one that Dreamworld is on but maybe another 10 kms further on. That makes it about 50 kms from lower Sukhumvit, but that’s still only about 300 baht on the meter – it’s quite a way off the main road so I was pleased that the taxi driver offered to wait for us, no charge, he just fancied a kip for a couple of hours. There were motorcycle taxis doing a shuttle run to the road though. Most of the journey to Rangsit is tollway anyway, and the road from there is pretty fast, our main problem was that Dreamworld was only charging 1 baht entrance on that day so there were big queues back from the u-turn onto the other carriageway. Anyway, back to the plot, the place is very well signposted and is located in the grounds of the Ministry of Science and Technology (I think!) and the building itself is an amazing sight, 3 big cubes standing on their points.

Inside there are 6 floors just packed with stuff to do, each with a different theme, and a huge percentage of it interactive. We were there 2 hours (it closes at 5.00 pm) and took about 90 minutes to get off the first floor and that involved my having to drag my kids to the escalator! The odd one out is the top floor but your Thai chums will love it as it is basically set out as an Issan village, lots of lifesize people and animals around, but basically looking at all the village crafts and agricultural activities. It really is lovely, and equally interesting whether you have spent time in a village or not, I would imagine.

The place was buzzing when we went, which was a Saturday, but I think the entrance fees were standard – B50 adults, B20 for kids. There are, of course, places to eat outside, and some dancing fountains and I think they probably organize activities and games at weekends – they were having a water rocket competition which had attracted a good crowd as groups of people built their rockets out of plastic bottles and stuff and they were fired at a target on the other side of the lake.

We will certainly go back as there was a lot we didn’t really ‘do’ and a lot that we would happily do again, but we would aim to get there a couple of hours earlier.

LG

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

Yeah, thanks, I'll give it a shot also! I heard something about an aircraft mueseum someplace there as well, not sure where, I guess I'll have to dig out the Lonely planet...anybody ever go?

Hi, The Royal Thai Air Force Museum is on Pahonyothin Road behind the airport at Don Muang, Should be about 160 baht in a taxi from Sukhumvit (Nana area).

Royal Thai Air Force Museum

Don Muang Air Force Base, Bangkok

Tel: 02-523-5151

Hours: 8:30AM-midday, 1PM-4:30PM Monday-Friday;

9AM-midday, 2PM-5PM first weekend in month,

also occasionally other weekends.

Location: about 15 miles northeast of the city center on the military side of the airport.

I keep meaning to give it a visit as its only five minutes away for me. One of these days.

Cheers

Roger

Archived