Learning the rules of the game

I would not worry tooo much about what "Boss Hogg" said. If Stick had taken the gushy awe out of his article, even he would realize that a lot of what Hogg said was nonesense. Only one case of HIV/AIDs in the plaza? Oh, come on. I know of at least two mamasans who have died of HIV/AIDS, and I am bloody sure he knows of a hell of a lot more than that. He knows of no cases of STD's at all????? What bloody planet is he on? He only knows of two succesful bg/farang marriages? Depends upon how one defines sucessful I suppose. 5 years? 10? 15? 20?

There maybe some thing in *some* of what he said, but the amount of nonesense is enough to make me doubt it all.

As for your particular scenario, I know little about current sign langage for different nationalities. Would you be able to communicate? Over all however, Thai's can be exceedingly tolerent of *all* disabilities, and so why only limit yourself to those suffering from a similar disability?

Lastly, in my (on this, very) humble opinion, the majority of the farang/bar girl relationships that go "tits up" do so becuase of the farang f*cking up in some way, much less often the b/g....

-j-

The Boss Hogg interviews were entertaining reading but this is only one person's perspective. Based on my own limited knowledge, I have a different picture of Thai-Farang relationships, the situation with HIV/AIDS & STDs, especially upcountry, and the prospects or raising a child "properly" in this country.

To wit:

I know of people who have died of AIDS in my wife's village and elsewhere in the country and outside. AIDS is not a myth.

Many (most?) of us have contracted STDs in this country and/or have knowledge of someone who has.

I personally know of several Thai-Farang couples that have been together for many years.

Many of us know Thais who were raised here and are fine people. It has more to do with parenting and genetics than schooling and the environment. Buddhist-based beliefs seems to help too.

That's the way I see it.

This one got me too: "I have never known a case where the girl went with a customer and blatantly stole out of the hotel rooms, or his wallet when he passed out or his pocket or whatever. I have never heard of a case like that and it is had never happened to me."-Boss Hog.

Now I really enjoyed the interview, but got to take everything with a grain of salt. His bars must have been hard to run. I'd guess his workforce was amongst the most transient in Nana and probably not the most "trustworthy". While this isn't a "common" problem and is probably rare it does happen!!!

<<burp>>

You are right rickfarang.

It most definitely is not a myth. An eight year old boy that lives next to my in-laws has HIV. His mother worked in the bar and contracted HIV. She left the bar to marry a Thai man and gave him HIV also. She died and he ended up in a hospice. He died not long after her.

The little boy now lives with his grandparents. When he was about 2 or 3 he suffered a massive seizure and is partially brain damaged. He has also lost some use of his left arm due to the seizure. The sad thing is he is a great kid and he will never get to grow up. He will probably be dead in the next 5 or 6 six years. All because of HIV. This is one of the saddest things I have ever seen.

His grandparents are stretched to the limit financially trying to take care of him. My wife and her family help them out whenever possible. I usually give my wife some money to give to them when I am there so they can buy clothes for him to attend school. I guess the only saving grace is that he doesn't know what his fate will be so he is a pretty happy kid.

So the moral? Be safe. Even if you don't suspect a BG has HIV act as if she does. If you have never seen the devastation this disease can cause remember this story. And yes it is true. :(

Archived