Thai music, anybody else?

thai3

Froggo

Do you know Beurak Mai Thai on Soi Alladin off Phahonyothin (sp?)? It tends to get good write ups in Metro and is one of the few I've been to more than once. I went there a few weeks ago and it seemed very quiet compared to the cracking atmosphere and rowdy crowds of my memory.

About 6 or 7 years ago one of the resident bands was called 'Tantawan' or something very similar and I thought they were outstanding, mixing in traditional Isaan instruments with the 'modern' electric stuff. Do you know if they are still around in any shape or form?

I still have video of them playing at the legendary 'Bangstock' festival, in our garden, one of the highlights of my entire life.

Is the Tawan Daeng you mentioned the one owned by Mr Carabao? There seem to be various venues sharing this name, including that big brewhouse place on Rama III with Bruce Gaston's Thai/jazz fusion band. Presumably these places have no real connection other than name?

I would be very interested in sorting out some nights out to the venues you mentioned, nice change of pace.

LG

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LG,

I agree with you on Breuak May Thai - in my last few visits there, it was on the sedate side. They other branch of this establishment (Ramkamhaeng) used to be good fun, but alas, that has closed.

If my memory serves me, you are correct in your name - there was, and may still be, a band named Tantawan. I think they were a spin off of the Santiphap band, which had a tape or two out. Sorry to say, though, I haven't a clue as to whether they are still around - I will ask around, though, as one of my good friends used to play in Santhiphap.

Lastly, the Tawang Daeng group, I believe, shares some mutual partners. However, the environmnets are quite different - as you note, Bruce Gaston and gang on Rama 3 run a more up-scale establishment, while the Khlawng Tan branch is geared toward a younger, wilder, and more "phua chiwit" crowd.

froggo

quote:

Originally posted by frogpatrol:

The Hut Pub

630- 171/3 Pra Pinklao Road

in Thonburi, just over the bridge - near Pata Dept Store

smallish, often quiet (but fun) place

Hi, I stayed in Thonburi for a couple of months and it's quite a way from the bridge (Saphan Phra Pin Klao) to Pata, maybe you need some other landmarks to help people find it ?

I bow to the superior search capabilities of Google.

My search turned up all kinds of cool Carabao sites.

I even found their official site which, handily, is written entirely in Thai. Well exploring their website certainly will be surprising, unless of course I have my wife translate it for me.

Now I'm off to see if I can find phoenetic spellings for "Luong Por Khun," my favorite Carabao song.

Archived