Thai music, anybody else?

thai3

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[

I never heard of 'songs for life' but will look into them on the next trip, thanks for the info.-peter

QUOTE]Originally posted by frogpatrol:

Pongsit Kumpee, Carawan, Su Su, and Carabao are my personal faves - all "phleeng phua chiwt" (songs for life) bands. The songs for life musical genre is more about the theme (social issues) than about a particular musical style. Carawan, for example, is quite folk-oriented, while Carabao is closer to rock.

Plenty of songs for life bars all over Bangkok - they make for a good night out.

Cheers,

froggo

Peter,

Next time in Bangkok, you should try to pop into some of the "songs for life" bars. The music is excellent, and the scene can often get pretty wild. Next time you come into town, let me know and I will shoot you off the names of several such bars.

Cheers,

froggo

Could you post the names/locations of these 'songs for life' bars?

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by frogpatrol:

Peter,

Next time in Bangkok, you should try to pop into some of the "songs for life" bars. The music is excellent, and the scene can often get pretty wild. Next time you come into town, let me know and I will shoot you off the names of several such bars.

Cheers,

froggo

As requested, here is a list of some of the popular songs for life bars. You cannot go wrong with the list below.

Tawan Daeng Sad Saen Deun

855 Pattanakarn Soi 9

after 11:00 pm the place really gets kicking, especially after the nearby massage parlors empty.

Lung Khii Mao

74/1 Sukhumvit Road

go after 11:00 - rocking place.

Dallas Pub

Siam Square across from Novotel

smallish place, but with some good bands. best Fri or Sat.

Lam Khong

124/7 Sukhumvit

never been, but I hear it is more upscale than the others.

The Hut Pub

630- 171/3 Pra Pinklao Road

in Thonburi, just over the bridge - near Pata Dept Store

smallish, often quiet (but fun) place

Baan Kep Tawan

155/60 Sukhumvit Soi 63 (Ekami)

lower key than Tawan Daeng, but still fun

There are many others scattered all over the city -literally hundreds of them. They are great places to meet the locals and soak in some Thai culture. Also, if anyone is interested, I am generally up for going out to these places on Thurs-Sat if I am not working late.

Hope this helps,

froggo

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: frogpatrol ]

Mr frog are u thai (sounds like a chat room) if not I must admire you singing in these places. Are these like modern bars or are they similar to cafes where they have the mali's and the singers come and sit with you.I imagime they are not the same as cafes and the artistes just sing and do not sit with customer. The obvious question, what sort of people go to these bars? do they get many girls on their own or in groups, and what about drink prices?-Thanks for the list-peter

Originally posted by frogpatrol:

[QB]As requested, here is a list of some of the popular songs for life bars.

As to the important question - are there lovely lasses at these joints. The answer is yes, though more so in the larger places. They typically go in groups (the Thai way), and may or may not be accompanied by Thai guys.

Table location is key - try to get a spot near a table of ladies, rather than near 10 drunken motorcyle boys, of which there are alot at these places. Then, just do your thing - it more often than not works. It is certainly no sure thing that you will get a number, but you will have a fun time nonetheless.

A few important points, though. First, Thais that go to these places certainly do not go with the intention of meeting foreigners. For that, there is Susi Pub, Q Bar, Hard Rock, and plenty of others. So, in a scene where you are one of only maybe a few non Thais, Thai langauge goes a long way, as does lots of smiling.

Second, there is often plenty of singing and dancing going on, and things sometimes can get out of hand. If you sense trouble between a few tables of Thai guys, I would just fade to the background.

There are typically 3-5 bands a night - they start more folky and then get louder and wilder as the night goes on. No garlands or employed dancers a la New Petchburi Road and "Issan Darling" type places. Just music, whiskey, and lots of tables of customers.

Hope that helps.

froggo

[ August 28, 2001: Message edited by: frogpatrol ]

Archived