Valentine's Day

chuckwoww

You fucked and/or made love again that night but she was distracted. You both were. Especially when her expensive new cell phone started beeping. You had noticed it earlier. A gift from a friend. She held it to her ear. Said nothing.

Next morning early she began packing a bag. ?Go stay sister.? she said.

One day, two days pass. Three. On the fourth day you meet Nok on the stairs. She seems surprised to see you in the building. She smiles. Don?t they all?

?Duan very lucky na.? Says Nok. ?Go Samui.?

What? Stunned you grope your way out onto the street where nothing makes sense and people have been transformed into ugly blobs of uncaring protoplasm. Duan go Samui?? How? Why? Who with?

You stand on the pavement with no direction. Left or right? Unattractive options. Straight ahead, under that bus, holds a certain charm.

Deciding you need more information, or more pain, you turn and go back into the building. You locate Nok?s room and knock on the door. You are in no mood for puns today.

Nok opens the door. Her eyes look glazed. There are other girls there. Braiding hair. Pounding crabs.

?Sorry to bother you Nok. I was wondering if you know how long she?s gone for. Or who she went with?? Voice steady. Just mildly interested.

Nok stares blankly. Another voice inside the room says ?Go Samui with fen.? Fen? What fucking ?fen? would that be then?

?Oh. I see. Thanks very much.?

?I solly.? Says Nok. Bless her little heart.

Now what? No way are you going to sit in that crummy room for weeks waiting for her to come back. Back to the street. You walk. Anywhere will do. Bangkok looks like a map of hell. Into a shopping complex. Shopping Thais abound. Up an escalator you go. Past the giant Happy Valentine Hearts. Gadgets, keychains, ballpoints, DVDs, cellphones cascading from every bright sharp angle. Who buys all this stuff? Why? Confusion and despair reflected in every surface. No cohesion. Pieces. Like an old vaguely remembered jigsaw puzzle. But this is no English summer garden. No thatched cottage, willows by the pond. You catch a glimpse of a haggard, manic looking farang in a shop window. Poor devil, you think. That bloke needs to get a grip.

You offer to buy him a drink but he looks at you as if you?re mad and disappears into the crowd of busy shoppers.

Somehow you arrive at a Sky Train station. Shiny rails. Nice clean decapitation. That would entertain the buggers. Don?t do it.

Get off at Ploenchit. Walk a bit. Nana Plaza? No, not yet. Golden Bar better. Sit down. Stop the movement. Stay calm. Think this through. Drink a beer slowly. Try to think. Stop examining yourself for character flaws. Think about bluebell woods instead, cricket on the village green. Is this the end?

just rereading Kundera's "unbearable lightness of being"...basically there is another way to take all this though I am dammed if I can articulate it beyond his feathery title..something to do with not being bourgeois...easing up on the drummed in models of men and women and savouring your own head including cataclysms...we all end up dead and that includes solitude.....also pretty easy to feel lonely in dud relation.... Cant ever have another person more than in the lewd sense can we?

Have you ever been in one of those sensory deprivation tanks?.. salty water at 37 degrees, darkness , ear phones to block out the noise..powerlessness is the thing and though I find it rather satifying intellectually as the living of out of our condition beyond the tedium of social leverages we all enjoy more or less, it is vertiginous mostly and not just from the unfamiliar.. and all this is without going into the primal scene just now...

'course it is very inconvenient to be let down sometimes too

Archived