what does the future hold for falangs?

junglesoup

I coming back to live in bangkok this june. I love the place and Thailand in general.

Like lots of people I would love to use this as more permanent base. In attempting to make this possible, it all boils down to money and of course the country and the laws that come into force.

I read recentely on one of stickmans columns that he thought it was now a " golden age for farangs in Thailand", but it may not be so in the future.

I would love to know what other people think about this. Try to be as objective as possible so as not to let personal annoyances interfere with the bigger issues for people living/coming to live in Thailand.

When I say the future I mean from now. Also, anyone have anyviews about the post-Taksin era?

Do you think that the current governments ideals are shared by Thai people as a whole? ARe Thais anti-farang? I think that the younger generations seem very open minded these days.

Just something I ve been thinking about lately. I always think that changes bring about new opportunities.

I feel alot of people aren t happy about some of the changes taking place, myself included.

I was thinking about in bed last night before I went to sleep. What are the things that I gain happiness from in LOS?

Interaction with nice thai girls be physical or emotional/fun etc-none of the changes can really take this one on one interaction away from anyone.

I enjoy going to Samui,Samet, relaxing in the afternoon at seafront bar with a couple of beers, looking out to the sea, going on a motorbike to take in the scenery, meeting people. etc-None of the changes can take this away.

A couple of days off in Bangkok. YOu know those days where you can get up,stick the tv on in bed and relax for a while. Nothing to do. Get up,read the newspaper, get some breakfast and plan night out with some mates. Head out around 2/3 o clock and go to a favourite eating place, relax, have few beers, flirt with the thai girl waiters, then hit a night spot.I love goin on pub crawls between staring in Silom and then on to Sukhumvit. Has anyone ever done apub crawl from Siam Square to Bangna? It would be good fun to try but I suspect the opening hours would have to adjsut to do this in a night. Ok I know the opening hours have changed the nitelife scence but it just means adjusting the time you go out. You can still stay out all night if you know where to go-the laws havent really curbed my enjoyment on a night out,they have only meant adjusting the time I go out. I still end up arriving back at 6 in the morning whatever the closing times.

I love the variety of food available- really I can t see how anychanges can take this away.

I believe that if you look at your day to day experiences in Thailand in single units then you will see things are still pretty good.

I think I ve just answered my own question but I would be interested to hear your views.

P.S- Try not and let the post turn into a negative list of ifs and maybes. Try to be balanced.

Cheers fellows.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don;t mind the current Governement, though many here are critical about it.

I don;t like Bangkok, I find it very polluted, however it is still a ity with a LOT of business opportunities.

A lot of people who are critical of business here, ask them first, do they own their own business?

For food, I find Malaysia a better variety, and a better variety of girls too!

In hindsite, on 4 years experience working here, I'd think about starting in KL than here, however there are still lots of good opportunities here.

Bottom line is, apart from the pub crawl, what will you do

DOG - Misses Pub Crawls!

The current government is not anti-farang; rather, it simply uses robust nationalism to advance its own agenda, which is neither pro nor anti farang. (It's about personal enrichment.) Everyone is aware that TRT won an overwhelming victory, but a fact that gets overlooked is that there are not a lot of new faces in Thai politics. Most of the local politicians that have dominated and prospered in Thai politics are now in TRT.

In other words, not much has changed in terms of who dominates local politics. Nationalism and xenophobia are a bit more evident, but only because the vested interest have found it be a useful tool to advance their interests.

good question bro' & great valid points brough forward.

however these are the things that make LOS great for you while for others it may be that the closing time of NEP & the 'changing' attitudes of the gogo girls around that neck of the woods make it a 'worse' place for 'him'. who knows - just thoughs?

personally I don't really know about say the more varied girls of malaysia as even I did try on more than a few occasions to find a decent screw failed 100%!

I do know that Thailand for the foreseeable future still will be a land of great (at least local) food & drink offerings at excellent value & availability around the clock mixed with nice climate & easy availibility of (paid) sex ;)

Do I know of a country with above par such offerings? no

Do I smeel troubles if the equation involves family & kids? possibly!

Sanuk!!!

Interesting question, although possibly a bit broad.

I think it both gonna get better - and worse. I think we will see an increasing tightening of the restrictions on the "fringe" farangs. Those staying here with, well "no visible means of support" shall we say. This will include "english teachers" without work permits, people on the fringes of the bar scene, retiree's without proper paper work etc etc. Basically all the "visa run" dudes are gonna find it much, much tighter.

Those with the correct paperwork (retirement visa's, work permits, paying tax every year etc) are eventually gonna find it easier. Longer term visa's and quicker processing of applications. This is not to say it will not all get more expensive to get that paper work though...

As to 'racism', IMHO Thai's are very racist in their dealings with Farangs. However, that said, it strikes me more as a "default racism" rather than an "active racism". There is a difference. On many occcasions in my dealings with various aspects of the Thai buerocracy, I get told "You can't have that/do that because you are a Farang". However, if you persue it (politely but persistently), and find out *why* as a farang you cannot have that/do that, you find very frequently, there is *no* reason. No rule, no law, no reccomendation it is only that it is *percieved* that a farang cannot have/do that (and often that its just never been done for a farang before leading to a viscous cycle!).

However, the whole point of it, in terms of your original question, is what are *you* (junglesoup) intending to do here? Working and just "living" are entirely different kettles of fish. If you are thinking of living here (not working) unless you are *well* into retirement age, I will pass the same advice to you as I have given to others "Do NOT do it". Thailand (and Bangkok especially) are *hugely* corruptive and without a real "purpose" you can head down the tubes very, very rapidly. Endless days of just drinking and whoring sounds fun, but can be very, very damaging physically and mentally. Bangkok (and Thailand) is littered with those who have made the same mistake..

-j-

I am amazed at the number of backpacker types teaching here on one month tourist visas. Who wants to ride a bus to Cambodia and back once every 4 weeks? But there are plenty of them doing it.

I don't know if the Thai govmt will really crack down on them though. One problem is that other countries in the region are paying more than Thailand now (even Vietnam), which tends to draw off the qualified teachers. Still, if anyone is going to get targeted, I expect it to be the monthly visa run folks -- some of whom have been doing this for years!

p.s. There are folks managing go-go bars here without proper paperwork too, but let's not get into that on an open board.

Have to agree with the above, I also asked what your plans are.

While I don't care so much aabout the damage endless days of whoring and drinking bring, it gets down right BORING!

Hard to beleive until you try it

Having a purpose here is a much better way to live.

I also think that it's going to get better for the business oriented Farangs than for the fringe blokes.

DOG - missing his buddies already!

a very good question, but just Lord Buddha know it.

But the question is not only Thailand, it's SEA with the ASEAN, which Members coming more nearer. What will bring the ASEAN Vision 2009and 2020 to all ASEAN nations? And what will this mean for farang residents in Thailand?

>>Working and just "living" are entirely different kettles of fish. If you are thinking of living here (not working) unless you are *well* into retirement age, I will pass the same advice to you as I have given to others "Do NOT do it". <<

Now you tell me ...

But still wise advice ... "Disneyland" is much more fun as occassional visitor, IMHO.

One thing that I think is interesting is what has happened to falang who have been involved in a legal problem.

They end up posting bail and surrendering the passport to immigration pending the outcome of any trial.

Great if you want to spend years in Thailand and never bothered to get a visa.

A real pain if you only planned to stay a short time.

This never seemed to happen in the past- you could post bail and take off.

I am, of course, talking about relatively minor things.

Have heard a number of stories like this in the last year or two.

Archived