what does the future hold for falangs?

junglesoup

I think thats good advice. I am not coming to bum around. I ve actually got aplacement in the field of music production. This will take up 4/5 days minimum. I trade currency also and love to play music. I ve got all my visas sorted out so I ll be here legally.

My original post was meant to be more socio-economic-politically orientated but then I kinda lost my original thought, and ended up droping to the level of pub crawls, Roger Mooring(whoring) and drinking beer on the beach.

I lived in Bangkok before and you need a purpose or else you can lead yourself to ruination. The nights and weekends out are so much more enjoyable and relaxing if you have been working.

I think a key quality you need to progress at a personal level in Bangkok is "balance" You could say Bkk is quite an unbalanced city, at times hopelessly unbalanced. But thats why its so exhilerating,and throw people of balance.

Bangkok is a real attack on the senses, and the body makes sensual demands,attempting to seek sensual gratification. The sex, the large number of pubs, the exotic food, the disorganised chaos and the frantic pace all seem appealing. If you look deeper, you see that all pleasures, derived from the senses are momentary and disappear as quick as they arrive.

If you put a $100 note and candies in front of a child, the child will always pick the candy as it only sees the short term pleasure. I ve seen people get into a vicious cycle of indiscrminate drinking, whoring , drugs etc. Granted this can happen anywhere but it happens alot to farangs in Bangkok.Its a hedonists heaven.

I think at the end of it all you need discipline to achieve balance. Take care fellows and good luck.

P.S - anyone play musical instruments as I would love to have a jam in Bangkok for a bit of crack?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Junglesoup,

The crack prices went slightly up recently, so it may be difficult to find somebody here. :)

What kind of music direction are you working in? Will you work in a Thai run studio working with local artists?

You're not from London by anychance, are you? (the Roger Mooring, like that one a lot :up:)

The government is not so much anti-farang as it is pro-Thai. That's the way it should be.

I don't think Thaksin will wipe out poverty in the next four years as he has promised, but Thailand will get wealthier and wealthier and more and more boring for Westerners and more and more protectionist of the voter's interests in employment and opportunity, which will make it tougher for us.

Just the way it goes.

...but Thailand will get wealthier and wealthier and more and more boring for Westerners and more and more protectionist of the voter's interests in employment and opportunity, which will make it tougher for us.
Unlikely both will happen. To get wealthier, it will have to open up more.

And to some extent, this government recognizes that. It is counting on tourism as a major source of wealth. That is official policy and practical reality.

When TRT came to power 4 years ago and announced that it would emphasize domestic growth and reduce Thailand's "dependance" on exports, two-thirds of Thailand's GDP was based on exports. Now, four years later, two thirds of Thailand's GDP, if not more, is based on exports.

TRT is popular because Thailand's economy has prospered over the last 4 years. Why has it prospered? Primarily because of growth in exports. The government's own statistics show this. Ironically, the government was the fortunate and unintended beneficiary of growth in the world economy and increased international demand for the goods Thailand manufactures.

The Thai economy certainly did not grow because OTOP basket weavers in Issan suddenly and somehow started weaving twice as many baskets as before. Growth occurred in the gloablized sectors of the Thai economy while the more protected domestic sector - which was supposed to become more prominent in the new TRT Thai economy - contributed relatively less to the Thai economy.

The plan for the next four years is to build up Thailand's infrastructure with, for example, high speed trains, a new international airport (which was built to accomodate more international tourists), better sewage systems and IT. (And, if done right, I am all in favor of improving the infrastructure here.) Where will the technology for this come from? Those high speed trains certainly won't be built in Thailand. Who will supply the expertise to build these marvels of modern technology? And what language do you think they use to draft the manuals, plans and specifications for those technical marvels - Thai?

The government has already made it clear that it intends to fund its aggressive development plans from international sources. Where are the world's major financial centers located? In Thailand? What language do you think they use to draft the documentation required for that international funding? Thai? What sort of standards and laws, in terms of reporting and transparency, do you think the foreign investors will require? Inward looking, protectionist and opaque ones? I don't think so.

If things go right (and who knows if they will?), there will be more opportunities for foreignors in Thailand. And if they go wrong, there will probably still be more foreignors here. I owe my second job in Thailand to the '97 financial crisis.

With gloablization, all the free trade agreements being signed the markets, economy, laws, banks ,mortgages etc will open up. I think it will be better for anyone. The Banking industry was suppost to be open to foreign banks ( including mortgages) in Oct but it has been delayed until the thai banks get back on their feet and change a few rules.

I think the future will be bring for farangs in thailand and that is why we bought a house here.

>>What will bring the ASEAN Vision 2009and 2020 to all ASEAN nations? And what will this mean for farang residents in Thailand?

....hopefully visa free residence for Aussies and Kiwis! Aus and NZ attended last year's ASEAN conference as guests. With a bit of luck in the near future, we'll be full members, with all the travel benefits plus Aussie wine in LOS at cheap Aussie prices.

I love LOS, especially Pattaya where I have a condo, but I take the point that overindulgence in booze and women can be damaging..... is that an oxymoron? :grinyes:

A change is as good as a rest now and then. LOS is so superbly situated, and flights so cheap. The breathtakingly magnificent Himalayas just 2 hours away to walk off your expanding waistline, China 1.5 hours, and for a taste of farang lifestyle again, Perth and the wild beauty of Western Australia only 6 hours away.

There aren't enough hours in the day for me living in LOS. I trade the Aus stock mkt in the mornings, catch up on a few chores later in the day and fart about on the computer or read, down to the condo's pool and gym for a workout (Nah, tell a lie; I don't do that....but I could if I weren';t such a lazy bastard!), and before you know it, it's time for a quiz night, a drink and bit of craic with the lads, followed by a spot of touchie feelie in the gogo bars, and a takeaway that's easier than ordering a pizza ...and I ain't talking fast food.

:hubba:

Yes, it's still Disneyworld and I love it.

:beer:

Maybe I'm being over optimistic. Presumably Aus would have to relax its visa policy, if it expects Thailand to do likewise.

Although Singapore, an ASEAN member, is still fairly restrictive about other ASEAN citizens staying too long in Singapore.

Does anyone know how long Singaporeans are allowed to stay in LOS? Do they need a visa for say 3 month stays, or are they treated the same as farangs, 30 days only freebie.

:beer:

If typing into the delta flight computer:

http://www.delta.com/travel/trav_srv/intl_travel/timatic/index.jsp

I get just 30days like the rest of us, but extendable with 10days/bt500?

However if e.g. typing in a brazil national I get 90days visa free!!!

Actually I don't worry too much about how long I as a tourist can stay, but rather how 'easy' I could become resident with work rights etc.

Archived