Newbie to thailand seeking insider info.

>>so my choice of Nana Hotel for 4 Nights is OK?.<<

IMO nana hotel is perfect for you based on what I have read in your trip reports. You mentioned it is expensive. Don't know what you are paying but across the street is Dynasty at 1,090 baht and great value. If you are paying 1200 or 1300 baht at nana then you should just stay with your reservation.

paying 1500 per Night.

not really expensive really,i was just comparing the price to the highest i have ever paid in Patong which was 750 per Night.

not complaining either.

i chose the Nana as it has been mentioned so many times here and other places.

of course it will have it's good and bad points but that applies to everywhere.

seems central to places i want to visit,but i'll find that out soon enough.

Duh, well stoopid me. :(

Seems the logic goes like this. Diesel prices have gone up. That means delivering ANYTHING costs more too. And thus prices go up to reflect it.

I was here when OPEC decided to shaft the west around 1975. Didn't hurt the west much, but they sure got poorer countries. As soon as a barrel of oil jumped drastically, everything went up with it. Train fares increased by about 30%. Bangkok buses went from 75 satang to 1.5 baht Everything delivered by land transportation went up somewhat too. Farmers also stopped producing high yield rice strains, since they used a petroleum based fertilzer.

But what do I know.

::

i was just kidding... as economics in Thailand seems often very unlogic.

of course significant oil price hikes have in addition to products and services where oil/petrol is a major input a influence on inflation. so even prices of products and services for which no oil/petrol is used could increase...

Of course, I don't see any increase in prices in the restaurants in my neighbourhood. Seems like a price hike in petrol would effect everybody, not just hotels.

p.s. You know about the special tax added on ONLY to meals in top hotels, don't you? Explain that as anything other than ripping off the tourists!

• 3 months later...

Regarding staying in Bangkok, I would NOT stay at Nana - I used to stay there (as well as Rajah) but found sometimes the rooms were not as clean as one would expect. In fact, once I ended up with rashes.

I would stay at some of the hotel on Ratchadapisek - Siam Beverly, Emerald Hotel, etc - depending on your budget. Also, with the underground working now, it is a breeze to get to Sukhumvit where you have Nana, Soi Cowboy and Themae (it is still open?)

Anyway, hope this helps...

Stanley

Along with all the recommendations above, I love the nana hotel as well, go to eden club, after a few days take the bus from BKK to Pattaya and see the drastic difference in atmosphere and much lower cost for fun, My favorite selection of hotels there is the Bay Breeze soi 10 or so only 500 baht with decent service and rooms free breakfast (don't get in the pool the chlorine will blind you and remove any body hair below the neck)lol. There is an over abundance of gogo's, beerbars and women.

Good Luck

Archived