First Time to Thailand

LiveWire

Hello everyone. THis board has alot of information. The question that i have is do you think a first timer should stay in BKK or adventure up to Pattaya?? I am trying to decide to stay in one place and see all i can or go to other places. I will be traveling in May and traveling solo. Any good ideas would help out.. Thanks

Depending on time, see the sights (besides the bars) in BKK then head to Pattaya, maybe a day trip to Aytaya, and River Kwai... If you really have time, hit Chaing Mai or another place that strikes your fancy! Do it all kid, you only live once!

Oh, a suggestion, buy a guide book, and see what interests you! Look at the pics, and then go for yourself! Enjoy... :0 Oh welcome to the board!

Welcome!

Some info from you may help to guide our suggestions:

As OH pointed out, do you really want to limit yourself to just BKK/PTY? BTW, it would be "down to Pattaya", not up :)

How long is your stay? If long enough, you can do both, maybe 4-5 days in each.

Are you a day or night person? Probably more to do in BKK during the daytime. Pattaya may be open later, even if it's just a darkened beer bar at 4 AM.

Do you want to see the temples or just play around? Temples/tourist sites = BKK

What's your daily budget (projected)? Pattaya is cheaper.

Do you have a preference on accomodations? More range in BKK, although many decent lower end in Pattaya.

Go-go vs beer bar vs massage parlor vs disco/nightclub vs street freelancers? Probably better and more beer bars in Pattaya. More clubs in BKK.

Beach vs. city? No brainer, this one!

Boys/LBs/Girls? Girls probably not much different in both. Pattaya/Jomtien may be more gay oriented. BKK may be better for ladyboys.

Any way you do it, it should have a big impact on your life! :)

Thanks for some of the tips. I will be there for three weeks. I am more of a night person and i am only interested in the women not into guys. I have heard alot of stories about men looking like women. I have some experience traveling overseas but never to Thailand. Some people tell me that Thailand totally different then other places. I have been told there are alot of nice places to see there but must of the people that i have talked to just talk about Pattaya and BKK. I am currently working in IRAQ so 6 months i think i need some fun.. Thanks for the help.. Should be a crazy three weeks.

3 weeks is long enough to have a load of fun. My first few trips were all spent in bangkok. I learned every crack in the sidewalk on sukhumvit road and basically immersed myself in the night (and day ::) p4p scene with side trips to wat po and river trips (all in bkk). I did not want to spend one minute of my time travelling so I stayed right there in BKK and no regrets. More than enough to keep you busy. By staying in one area i got to know a few bkk thai girls fairly well.

You'll get hooked and return, so you'll end up seeing other places in the future if you miss them this trip. If you do travel, PTY is only two hours by taxi. Good luck.

Hello, LW. Don't worry too much about "men who look like women". If you are not sure, just ask. Most you can spot easily enough, but a few can be almost undetectable after their surgery. And if you make a mistake, don't worry about it. (I did once upon a time, when I innocently thought that if it looked liked a gal and had boobs, it must be a gal!) They actually consider themselves a third sex, not men or women. (The Thermae Coffee Shop, a big pickup place for freelancers, has a sign on the door barring "women of the second kind". Guess what that means.)

With 3 weeks, I'd say divide your time between Bangkok and Pattaya. If you find you like one place more than the other, then spend most time there.

Totally different than other places? Well, maybe they are referring to the bar girls' attitude. It has been described more as "renting a girlfriend" than going with a hooker. Come see for yourself. It's a bit different than Iraq!

::

Thanks again for some information. I will get there and see how it goes and if i like one place more then the other then i will spend more time there. I have some ideas about hotels in Pattaya , when i get to BKK i will stay in Nana seems that is the place for a first timer in BKK. I will just figure things out as i go.. Thanks again for the help.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Livewire,

I did a solo newbie trip a couple of years ago and I had no idea what to expect. I was scared to death having never traveled outside my home country before. It was an unforgettable experience, easily the most fun I've ever had in my life! Have fun, meet new people, treat the girls well and your golden!

When are you arriving in BKK? Sorry if I missed that bit...

Archived