CAMBO

Nervous_Dog

Well - I am here for work, but I had a great and cheap flight with bangkok Air!

Get seat 16 or 17, they have business class length for legs!

Not bad food either

8400 Baht return!

Collected at the airport by a good man from Flamingo Hotel, which has some of the last stock of beer lao in Cambodia.

I am tonight on a presonal crusade to end that monopoly!

Walkabout was good fun, but Flamingo is great, thanks Luaie!~

Will post more after work tomorrow!

DOG

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've decided to try Flamingos next January and have been looking at options to get to PP. Bangkok Airways is not a low cost airline, like Air Asia and NOk Air but it is 3000 B cheaper than Thai Airways, going to PP. Timewise, to go to PP from Bangkok is about the same as going from Bangkok to Chiang Mai but is three times the price on Bangkok Airways and four times the price on Thai Airways . I don't think that there is any ferry/boat service between BKK and PP, or train service. From what I understand, bus service is about 11-12 hours and with changes at the Cambodian border, with taking taxis one or two miles on either side of the border. Plus, the road from the border to PP doesn't sound very good, even for third world standards. So, if the price is the same to fly in January as it is now, I think that I'll be flying, unless someone can recommend a VIP type of bus service (even then, taking 75 minutes to fly versus bus time, I still would probably fly).

BKK - PP overland is much too far. The trip BKK to Siem Reap (Angkor) is quite interesting. I did it already two times:

Bus from BKK to town near border. Tuktuk to border, short walk into Poipet/Cambo, cab to SR. All in all 8-10 hours.

Angkor is worth for 3 day stop over. Going to Cambo without seeing Angkor means to miss one of the most interesting antique/sacred places in the world.

From SR tp PP you can take the bus. It takes 5 hours and is a nice and comfortable trip.

For all overland travel to and within Cambo I would recommend Tales of Asia. It has the absolute best and updated information concerning travelling in Cambo. :up:

No question, a one time visit for at least 3-days to Siem Reap is mandatory for anyone who has never been to Cambo. The Angkor Wat areas are simply majestic and awe inspiring.

And for those wanting to spend some time in Cambo, getting to PPenh inexpensive. From Pattaya, bus to the border, below Trat, at Hat Lek and onto Koh Kong. Visit the area though its a small community, then boat to Sihanoukville. See the area and surrounding area in Snooky. Then bus to PPenh. Total travel only cost from Pattaya -> PPenh is about 1100-Bt.

Yet, I'm not a big fan of PPenh, and generally rent a 250cc moto and prefer to explore and visit the small villages which seldom see farangs. Contrary to popular belief, the countries main roads are actually pretty good...

Thanks Kamui, for the sugestion of Angkor. I've still got 9 months to decide how long I want to explore S.E. Asia (Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos. If I leave right after Christmas from the states, that would give me 4-5 weeks of travelling. From what I've read, it would be better to get a visa for the above countries, or at least carry several passport sized photos of yourself to get a 30 day visa at the border of each country.

Yep - all the info above. President Air is about 1000 cheaper but I couldn;t find them to book!

However Bangkok was gerat!

Flamingo Hotel is gireat! really enjoy it and the staff are good, ask for a pukette for breakfast!!

Walkabout and Shanghai are two very close bars, very different, Walkabout quite skanku, to use a new word, and Shanghai a bit more up market (DONT insult or grab the waitress!,)

Sharkies was VERY good last night, and overall the city is a lot like Vientianne, but with easy to get girls.

Farang food is great, so much better than bangkok, forget price, a LOT cheaper, but I'd pay more willingly fo rthe quality of food here.

DOG

Archived