Soi cowboy

MrX

A narrow 200 meters, 2 minutes to saunter down though you will be accosted. Standard egg box minor soi architecture transformed. Many bars, majority a go-go, crowded signs tawdry unlit. How many prostitutes? And then sellers less carnal. Grocery shops and the ambulants, live fish and dead insects, fruit under glass with a light above, Green vegetables poor in flesh dipped in the varieties of Isaan spicy.

I like it best early. They stumble out of the bars blinking to the sunlight, gait no longer night sexy, make-up awry. Even just a few wistfully recreated by sleep, to the fresh young girls they are negotiating. Outside the bar entrances, ramshackle furniture draped by table cleaning cloths, grey pennants on pirate decks, washed out, to dry. Early punters drift by, perhaps customers at the Old Dutch to quaff a morning beer. They are mostly weathered. Among the pedestrians, the occasional car, and motorcycles rat run to Asok. There are few police until evening.

The afternoon hums softly louder towards the crescendo of the night. After five, hairdressers calling by the bars, clothes sellers too, hawking catchy microsizes. Girls start strutting, osmotically feeding off the cropped erotics to come ?til at seven the band starts up. Perhaps these are hours of structural accounting, only later there is alcohol, music and sex.

About 10 go into a tardis bar, a daytime policeman doorman beckons, the odd familiarity of the hello girls, injured dancers some. Outside drop into your personal locker for bravado, which no one will purloin. Inside, the stage confronts you archly, the girl dancing nearest the door may be the prettiest or the least dressed, but don?t stop. Right side is a stooled corridor between mirror and dancers and who sits risks being hard core, eschewing comfort, missionary or in for a look. Order a beer, fend off a massage. The dancing girls will gaze at their reflected undulating forms but do not be deceived; they already know you; bar history is microfiched or first time, entered appositely in the archives. Left is more for revelers.

Then, at the end, are two hotels on the Soi. Your consort will have been to both before. The rooms naturally vary but remember not to insist on the lights on. During you may even hear the mangled chords of live 70's classics. The twenty first century is far away.

Play fair

Pay square

Nice one, Mr R,

I can smell it!

But, nitpicher that i am, since having been introduced (was it by You or suadum?) to the nicer one of the two hotels, I have on at least two occasions taken my choice for the night to that place, to find they'd never been there.

('no, ST hotel not here, around corner') and ('Oh, 400 Bt, peng! better go asok')....... then she found she liked this much better.

>Right side is a stooled corridor between mirror and dancers and who sits risks being hard core, eschewing comfort, missionary or in for a look.<

until recently, I used to frequently sit there. Wonder which of these categories I fit in????

I suppose all of them

>The afternoon hums softly louder towards the crescendo of the night.<

A couple of years ago i showed up at 4pm. I forget why or what i was hiding from. I sat outside some bar eating various stuff for a very very long three hours. The other girls sitting there tolerated me OK. Your post is on the mark. But it felt strange being there, like the farang must be off kilter to hang around such a barren place (it was a waste land at that time of day).

>>to hang around such a barren place (it was a waste land at that time of day).>>....surprises my idea of those hours...I personally know of feuding, fixing broken electrics, negotiating with bureaucrats and fiercer allies, getting in beer, doing accounts, trysting and more.... but certainly little fucking or pre-coital taunting..

When I was there not much to look at, just a few stall ladies cooking on the street. I was too burned out to start a drinking binge with some girls. I'm typically in a jet lag zone brought on by the 12 hour time dislocation but was determined that day not to take my usual early evening snooze.

The way you described it there is hustle and bustle. Now that I think about it what is that new bar on the corner of SC and Soi 23? I vaguely remember zipping by seeing lady boys but I was not in a coherent state of mind.

new bar? you mean opposite the old dutch?...slightly posh drinking hole..no hostesses I think..open most of the day and evening..indifferent food...dont know about the third sex though they hang around that end of the soi of an evening

I suppose it varies by the day, and depends also on what you're looking for. about three weeks ago, i spent about five nights at SC, and it buzzed and hummed. some (not all) of the bars you mentioned made me think I stepepd back in time about 4 or 5 years.

each to their own.

• 4 months later...

Gent's I don't spend time in BKK mostly Pattaya but missed my plane once, after getting a another ticket spent some time in SC it was a good 5 hours of beer and debauchery at a beer bar near the Asok hotel forgot the name of it. It was an OK place to spend a few hours. Went back 6 months latter. hello dumsoda catch you in SC Jan 06

Archived