Daytime activities

jirve77

Some time ago, on the old board someone was asking for suggestions on what to do during the day as a change from the GF scene. One reply mentioned quite a list of suggested activities including the Zoo, a large restuarant where waitresses used roller skates to get round. Does nyone know how to access that report again, or perhaps the originator could reproduce it. Has anyone any other ideas?

John

As Pattaya 127 says, boat trips along Klong Bangkok Noi are quite entertaining, so are train rides from Wong Wien Yai railway station in Thonburi to Samut Sakhorn (55 mins.). You'll pass some pleasant rural sceneries and get a good glimpse of what life in Bangkok must have been a few decades ago. The trains leave every hour.

quote:

Originally posted by pattaya127:

I think he means BKK. can't recall the name of that restaurant, it's on Rachadapisek Rd, quite a way from Sukhumvit 19. there are indeed tons of things to do and see,just strolling around the docks or Chinatown little back streets is fun. The problem is the traffic if no skytrain station in sight. The one thing that is always a treat is to take a public speed boat along BKK noi (if my memory is correct) for an hour and back. Truly an antidote to the city rumble.

Thank you all very much. I now find that I have a printout of that message. It was from 'LONGGUN to IAN1960 last November and was in answer to a query 'Where can you take your g/f as a change from the usual.Some of the suggestions may now be out of date.

e.g. "friday night go to Warbler and watch the band there"

Beurak Mai Thai - on Soi 30 - a massive Thai style folk club

Muang Boran - the ancient city, scale replicas of all the important temples and monuments - that is near the crocodile farm

The roller skate place I was remembering is called the 'Royal Dragon' on Bangna Trad. "Waiters on roller skates flying down on trapeze wires with bowls of rice. There is a Thai dancing show on the waterside about 7"

Perhaps others remember the post?

Thanks all,

John

I think he means BKK. can't recall the name of that restaurant, it's on Rachadapisek Rd, quite a way from Sukhumvit 19. there are indeed tons of things to do and see,just strolling around the docks or Chinatown little back streets is fun. The problem is the traffic if no skytrain station in sight. The one thing that is always a treat is to take a public speed boat along BKK noi (if my memory is correct) for an hour and back. Truly an antidote to the city rumble.

quote:

Originally posted by john:

Thank you all very much. I now find that I have a printout of that message. It was from 'LONGGUN to IAN1960 last November and was in answer to a query 'Where can you take your g/f as a change from the usual.Some of the suggestions may now be out of date.

e.g. "friday night go to Warbler and watch the band there"

Beurak Mai Thai - on Soi 30 - a massive Thai style folk club

Muang Boran - the ancient city, scale replicas of all the important temples and monuments - that is near the crocodile farm

The roller skate place I was remembering is called the 'Royal Dragon' on Bangna Trad. "Waiters on roller skates flying down on trapeze wires with bowls of rice. There is a Thai dancing show on the waterside about 7"

I remember that! The Royal Dragon was opened by the same bloke who owned the one on Rachada (now closed) to break his own 'World's Largest Restaurant' record!

You might want to look at a place on the other side of the highway - the flying chicken restaurant which I also posted about somewhere - but only if the idea of unicycling waiters catching your roast chicken on spiked helmets as they are catapulted through the air seems appealing!

LG

The band in Warbler has changed several times since. Still OK but TOO LOUD, Santos! Buffet is still fabulous value though.

Revisited Beurak Mai Thai after a long absence and was surprised that it was much smaller than I remembered. Frogpatrol would be the man to ask about this and similar venues.

If you don't mind generalities, you might also want to check the Poll section, under "Downtime Ideas for Newbies." No offense (on the newbie thing), certainly, because you already sound knowledgeable. But, some of the categories and comments might spark an idea in you, which could lead to seeking more info from board members on these other ideas. smile.gif" border="0 I had a nice afternoon at the subdued Vimanmek Palace, I must say. wink.gif" border="0

In Bangkok, I always buy a copy of "Bangkok Metro" magazine. They have a listing of various things going on in Bangkok, like good restaurants, bars, bands, etc.

Boring to most, but the first afternoon i spend in BKK every year, i go to peninsula Plaza and Asia Books, and spend a few hours going thru the new books and litterature of the region. And agonize about which ones to buy (weight and price being a consideration)... After that, i go to DK and the other Asia books on Sukhumvit. before it closed (sob), i would spend more time in the bookshop on Patpong than in the clubs (but not discos), on my evening stroll. these bookstores are always part of my BKK fix. You are what you is....

Archived