Dutch Embassy seriously pissing me off

khunsanuk

Hi,

Went to apply for a visa for my wife yesterday, spend over 3 hrs waiting as they only had 1 person handling the visas. We were only 14th in line, and still it took over 3 fucking hours!

Hand over the paperwork and the first issue presented itself within minutes. The form which clearly states that any item marked by a * does not need to be filled in by a person related to a EU citizen. So, we hadn't filled them out.

Guess what? Yep, 'for clarity' we had to fill them out anyway. Okay, minor issue.

Then they tell us we need to show our ticket reservations. Fair enough, I didn't have them, easy enough to fax later which I did.

They also told us my Dad!!! had to send an invitation letter and fax it from Holland. That pissed me off, but did get it done last night.

So when I got a call this afternoon from the Embassy I figured they called to say things were okay and I could come pick up the visa. Wrong!

Now all of a sudden they need bloody bankstatements. Question is why the fuck couldn't they think of that yesterday when I was there.

So now I have to fax those tomorrow, the same day I have to pay for my plane tickets as well.

And to clarify we have been legally married for over 2 years already and my wife has already been to Holland twice.

I really wonder why every time I have to deal with Thai staff at Embassies there is a problem, yet when I deal with the Dutch staff things seem to go much smoother. And it ain't a language problem.

They had better damn well give her the visa tomorrow!

Sanuk!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to do what I did and explain to the high and mighty staff that they are PUBLIC SERVANTS, and in the eyes of the Dutchman opposite them, they are no better, in fact worse than and maid who cleans the toilet.

Worked a treat when I explained that to the fool thai girl at the Aussie Embassy, then called in her superiou and complained why was I being asked these questions now and not before . . . . .

That said, the best person in the Aussie Embassy is the old thai lady in the consular section who is the exact opposite, sweet as sugar with the darlek and jongjoe, tough as nails with me :) but she gets things done!

DOG

Hi,

Thing was that this last was on the phone. I intend to fax the required docs tomorrow and call them about 30 min afterwards and will demand an answer.

Any bitching and I will insist on talking to one of the Dutch people (who in the past have been reasonably helpful).

Sanuk!

could be you are dealing with the thai staff in the embassy.

I'm not saying this is going on( or works) but using a thai agent to do the work may make it go faster.

( agin, not saying this goes on, but thais seem to know how to deal with other thais in gov offices ((( read tea money))) to get things done a bit faster.

Hi KS,

Before I go to the Embassy, I always check what I need by email, and make sure that I present all requested information in a 'nice' way.

Never had a problem with the Embassy sofar, although they're pissing me off by not replying to my mails at the moment.

All the stuff that you're mentioning is listed on a form that they could've send you though, if you would've asked them, so you could've taken care of it beforehand.

KS,

May I ask how things went with her two previous visa-applications, similar problems? I'm sure you must have had an idea about the needed docs unless things have changed since then.

I believe last time I applied for my girl's visa (in 2003) I needed all above mentioned docs.

She went twice and I remember the second application being tougher than the first one. All kinds of letters from Holland, even brother's bank statements despite me (being her husband) having enough financial means to guarantee her stay plus return trip. I still don't get it with them rules :banghead: I merely comply to keep everybody happy.

I also did piss me off btw that they asked for them one by one.

I have found with embassies that it is best to provide MORE than they officially request (which sounds nonsensical, but that just seems to be the way it is).

When we went to the Kiwi embassy to apply for a visitor's visa for my wife, we had everything that they requested. They then asked me for my bank statement, which was not listed as a required document. I had anticipated that and had it out of my bunch of papers in seconds. Visa was granted there and then.

Stick

Hi,

"All the stuff that you're mentioning is listed on a form that they could've send you though, if you would've asked them, so you could've taken care of it beforehand. "

Understood, and I wasn't so much pissed at the ticket reservation, but I was most definitely pissed at them asking for bank statements 24 hrs *after* I was there. Why the fuck couldn't they have told us this when we were there?

"May I ask how things went with her two previous visa-applications, similar problems?"

No. The last time my wife didn't even go to the embassy. Nor do I recall having to present a letter of invitation and most certainly my parents didn't have to fax anything from Holland.

If I remember last time it was a breeze getting it, which is why I was so surprised about the BS this time as we are now legally married (which we weren't yet the first 2 times).

"Then, remember that you know someone who work at the embassy who could push a few buttons in case of need ?"

Yes, I do, but this does not concern him and I'd really rather not get him involved.

Sanuk!

Archived