anti falang feeling

sinsin2

From a newsgroup.

“Some discussion participants here (no names mentioned) seems to be critical of how the West is treating Thailand. The farangs have acted unfairly, conspiratorial and exploitative, we are told. Is that so? This is list of what the West has done for Thailand during the last 60 years. 1. Saving Thailand from Japanese occupation. Japan occupied Thailand during World War II. Had the West not beaten Japan at great human and material cost, Thailand might still have been a Japanese colony today, working for Japanese masters, being exploited for natural resources, and in general be treated like conquered peoples were treated under the Japanese Empire - like dogs. 2. Winning the civil war on the Malay peninsula. In a largely forgotten war that lasted for many years from 1948 onwards, troops mainly from Britain fought Chinese-supported communists guerrillas on the Malay peninsula. While the fighting was mainly on the Malay side of the border, south Thailand provinces were affected and would have been even more so had the uprising not been put down. 3. Aid and development. In the 1950'ies, 60'ies and 70'ies in particular, Thailand received financial aid from Western sources as well on-the-ground help from NGO's. Roads, bridges and electricity networks were built by western help. Many volunteers like the Peace Corps helped ordinary Thais in their communities. 4. Protecting Thailand from communist aggression. Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia all fell to communism, and Thailand was widely expected during the 1960'ies and 70'ies to be the next "domino". The West protected Thailand from this fate first by direct military presence in Thailand during the Vietnam war, and later indirectly by giving aid and advice in the Thai campaign against the communist guerrillas in the Thai countryside. Thailand also benefited from the West "winning" the Cold War in 1989, making the communist danger fade. 5. Opening Western markets for Thai exports (esp. 1970 to 1995). When Thailand built export industries, markets for these products as well as Thai agriculture products were found in the West. This is not balanced trade. Thailand did not accept Western goods into Thailand without high taxes. A car made in Europe is twice the price as the same car assembled in Thailand. If the West had taxed Thai products in a similar way, Thailand's exports would have been in difficulties. 6. Saving Thailand from economic collapse in the 1990'ies. When corruption and mismanagement among the political and business elite had brought Thailand's economy to the verge of disaster in 1997, billions of dollars from the International Monetary Fund and expert advice from the Fund and the World Bank was given to stabilise the situation. Without this help, the economic collapse could have been even worse. This intervention was for the most part Western taxpayers' money. Conclusion: As this brief summary demonstrates, Western money, soldiers and expertise has on several occasions been vital for the independence and development of Thailand. Had such help not been given, the freedom and relative prosperity Thailand enjoyed in this period would hardly been possible. Vagabond “

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At least ninety percent of Thais haven't got a clue about their country's history, least of all what the West may have done for them. As things stand, they've even forgotten and forgiven that would-be tyrant and murderer Suchinda - and his misdeeds only only go back 9 years. Thais only remember that Burma has been a perennial enemy, but that's about it. Most Thais don't like to think, ponder and analyse - it might strain their brain muscles and cause a headache!

That said, I personally haven't felt much anti-Western sentiment. Maybe it's because I speak fairly fluent Thai and am very much used to the ways of the country. Only once, a clearly agitated taxi driver asked me what I was doing in Thailand and why foreigners were still being allowed in; then, a few days ago, after the lid had been blown off that boiler room scam, my newspaper lady gave me a scrutinising look and for the first time ever asked me, "What actually is your job?" She clearly thought that I might be on to something crooked myself.

Of course, it doesn't help that someone like Thaksin is in control, someone who I personally believe is anything but intelligent (I'm being kind here in my wording), and who doesn't have a shred of integrity. I am convinced he will mess up Thailand further, and in the end he'll again blame the Westerners for it all. I'm normally not a doomsday prophet, but I think under the "leadership" of Thaksin Thailand will slip further down the rubbish chute and then foreigners might really get a bad time. A hard rain is gonna fall.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Originally posted by Ashman:

"One student said to a farang teacher. " My father buys my education."

He'll buy a piece of toilet paper. I have spent considerable time in countries much poorer than Thailand, but I have yet to see one which has a lousier education system (okay, I haven't lived in Afghanistan).

I have met some Thais who thought that Buddha was born in Thailand, others who weren't able to locate Thailand on a map of S.E.Asia (forget about a world map), and I've met a student who thought she could get pregnant from a blowjob. I could go on and on. And now Thaksin, genius of geniuses, gives a million Baht to every village so that they can produce and sell their "special product". What do they want to sell to the world? Wicker baskets? Mor-hom shirts? Nang Talung dolls? If Thailand doesn't revolutionise its education system instantly and goes hi-tech with a vengeance (corruption allowing), it'll forever remain a breeding ground for impoverished, easily available farmhouse pussy. And then the perverted foreigners will be blamed again.

The west was not all that selfless with their support.

The west enabled families like the choonhavens to enrich themselves through large scale drugtrade. Pibunsongkram, a supporter of the japanese during the war was very soon running the country again together with pau and chatchai's dad. Pridi, the visionary had to die in exile.

The communist insurgency started because governments at that time did not adress the needs of the villagers. The same needs are still actual, the governments still do nothing.

The so called expert advice of the IMF, the millions of dollars of loans have been given not to "help" thailand but to regroup as much losses as possilble. Nobody cared about the millions of unemployed who were not the people who caused the crises.

During the heyday of the boom nobody questioned the corruption, the nonperforming loans. Everybody used this system to make a quick buck, rich thai families, western coorporations.

The poor of this country have to suffer all these mistakes.

Anti farang feelings are coming up, and this is very scary, but not unexpected. How would you feel if hords of Japanese come to your country and create places like Pattaya? how would you feel if your daughter or sister becomes a prostitute?

Thing is, we get our own medizine. Paki bashing in england, burning of asylants homes in germany, +++

Now we have to learn how it is when one is hated just because of skincolour, nationality. Expect worse in the future. Cultural chauvinism and racial hatred is rising in the whole world, why should Thailand be an exception?

Like everywhere individuals have to suffer from the mistakes of political and economical games played by others.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: flyonzewall ]

l have always said, for a country with a lot of elephants, the thais certainly have not taken after them in the memory stakes!!

Love what farlungs bring to this country, but dont like farlung.

Tell a Thai that you know the Thais dont like us, they will shy away, but if you know them well enough, they will agree.

And also Flyonzewall, the west did not bring prostitution to this country, it has been around along time before Vietnam, the west just brought it out into the open.

Ask a thai that is even vaguely aware of history, I think his reply would be, thats all nice, but what has the "west" done for me recently, or even more important is the west going to do (for me) tomorrow.

very shortsighted (IMHO)

Many of us don't give the Thai enough credit for political savvy...sure the average Thai citizen may not be able to display much knowledge of history or geography, but I've seen that same sort of ignorance here in the US, from folks with a lot more education than the average Thai.

The Thai have walked a political tightrope for centuries, between Asian and Western empires, with only a few stumbles. Yes, they were invaded by the Burmese, and yes, they were put into a difficult position during WWII. (Officially, Thailand was a Japanese ally during the War, and at the end of the war was regarded as a hostile state by all Allied powers except the US.) But their political, social, and cultural institutions have survived remarkly well compared to all other Asian nations.

As for gratitude for favors recieved...how much gratitude do Americans display for French help during our revolution? How much gratitude do the French display for American help during WWII? How much gratitude do the Brits show for the Canucks and ANZACs helping them out in two world wars? Gratitude is an individual emotion, not a collective attribute of an entire nation.

Archived