anti falang feeling

sinsin2

quote:

Originally posted by Jimmie Blonde:

There is a very well known (infamous) Thai artist called Wassaan.

Most of his works a re very political and sexual, but he also writes a lot. His writings are not disimilar to what is written at demonstrations etc. Very Left wing, Very hard.

I took two girls to dinner with him and some mates, and was amazed at the level of the very very political discussion.

Afterwards I asked one if she was always this political, and she said "My family talk all the time in our village about same things Wassaan talks about, he is a good man, my village would like him"

Moral of th estory is sweet little Thai girls from up country can be very political - and also rural villages are still capable of being hot pots of political thought.

i know vassan, but i wonder how leftwing he really is, some of his comments and writings are very xenophobic, well, that means before he gets so drunk that everything with a skirt is not safe of him.

i remember how pissed off he was with his stay in germany a few years ago because he could not get laid there even once.

his work i do not like that much, lots of it is just blatant copies of baselitz.

but i agree, upcountry people can be very political.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally posted by vtombrown:

"Yes, expect things to get worse for everybody outside his tight Chinese circle, during his tenure."

It's in today's papers: The government awarded another lucrative contract worth 44 million Baht to Thaksin-owned advertising agency "CS Matchbox".

Now, if this was in a real democracy with proper controls in place, there would be an immediate outcry and an investigation.

What do you think will happen in Thailand ...?

Scum...don't see what the fuss is all about. Just dissolved parliament here a couple of weeks ago and guess what, a large number of mega bucks projects were approved by cabinet. Quelle suprise...I think not. It's not that long ago the UK was held to ransom by Eton, Harrow, Oxbridge clique. Jobs for the boys, old school tie, bought military commissions the list of corruption in the west matches what goes on here. Probably worse...Opium Wars, transporting convicts to Australia. Ain't nothin new or unique...

A letter in the Bangkok Post recently went something like this.

"You know you've been in Thailand too long when you no longer wonder how someone earning less than two hundred dollars a month can afford to drive a top of the range Mercedes Benz."

Quite funny I thought.

Originally posted by abbot thong:

"Scum...don't see what the fuss is all about ... It's not that long ago the UK was held to ransom by Eton, Harrow, Oxbridge clique. Jobs for the boys, old school tie, bought military commissions the list of corruption in the west matches what goes on here."

I wouldn't be sure. In my logic, brazenly corrupt countries will automatically be economic failures, which cannot (yet?) be said about the UK or most other Western countries. But anyhow, these things make me mad wherever they may happen.

" ... transporting convicts to Australia ..."

At least their descendents make darn good wine now (ok, with the help of a few German immigrants, I know!). Wouldn't have got that in the British climate, right? So, shipping them there bloody well paid off ... laugh.gif" border="0

flyonzewall

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

I am not a fan of Taksin and agree that many Thai's have a short memory and as for geography you can forget it.

But it is interesting to see the white farangs getting a taste of their own medicines with regards to the 'anti-farang attitude'. Other Black and Asian people like myself have to put up with this shit all the time in our own countries like England and the States. I have been putting up with it since I arrived here several years ago i.e. Many Thai people have said to me "I didn't like you when I thought you were Afican (or sometimes they say Indian) but now I know you are English I know you good man"

But on the whole the Thai's are great people.

Hector

quote:

Originally posted by Hector385:

But it is interesting to see the white farangs getting a taste of their own medicines with regards to the 'anti-farang attitude'.

I, for one, would like to be excluded from this very generalised statement. I am a white farang and am not, as you are implying, racist.

Roger

I was just wondering who this "West" expecting gratitude from the Thais? No one I know is expecting gratitude, we just hope we get blamed for things we have done and not be the scapegoats for all the ills of Thailand.

In response to an earlier reply regarding prostitution, the West can hardly be blamed for that. Also, the vast majority of prositution caters for the Thai male, that for farang is just the tip (albeit a very visible tip) of the iceberg.

Hector 385,

Racism exists in every culture, I am not sure which country you came from prior to the UK, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh?

I would bet my last £ that if I went to those countries as a white farang I would encounter more racism than you have encountered in the UK.

Would any of those aforementioned countries give me a job , home , free health care, free schooling,NO CHANCE!

It makes me sick when immigrants to my country moan?

As a young man aged 10 - 18 I lived in Singapore, my parents had to pay for everything, schools hospital everything and they weren't even allowed to buy property there because they were aliens!

Originally posted by spirit_of_town_hall:

"Racism exists in every culture, I am not sure which country you came from prior to the UK, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh?

I would bet my last £ that if I went to those countries as a white farang I would encounter more racism than you have encountered in the UK.

Would any of those aforementioned countries give me a job , home , free health care, free schooling,NO CHANCE!"

Of course they won't because mostly they don't even give it to their own citizens. And if they do, it's of abysmal standard.

On the other hand, as a foreigner in India or Pakistan, I'm often treated much better than the locals themselves. I get more courteous service, I get called in front of a queue(I usually don't take up the offer), and if I have a complaint about anything, everybody just scrambles to get things right. In other words, I experience a sort of reverted racism - white man, very good, local man, rubbish.

[ August 08, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

Archived