work available for molecular biologist

I have a friend who is 25 years old. I ve told him alot about LOS and he might be interested in moving.

He asked me if there is anywork available for people who research illness',virus' etc. Hes currenlty doing a phd about Alzheimer's. This guy has brains to burn. He came top in his subject at one of the top UK universities.

Yeah, so are there any international companies that employ farangs or are there opportunities to research virus, tropical illness, disease etc. He can work in any of those fields.

Any information would be greatl appreciated. Cheers,

Chris

junglesoup said:

I have a friend who is 25 years old. I ve told him alot about LOS and he might be interested in moving.

He asked me if there is anywork available for people who research illness',virus' etc. Hes currenlty doing a phd about Alzheimer's. This guy has brains to burn. He came top in his subject at one of the top UK universities.

Yeah, so are there any international companies that employ farangs or are there opportunities to research virus, tropical illness, disease etc. He can work in any of those fields.

Any information would be greatl appreciated. Cheers,

Chris

Tell him to check with AFRIMS, US Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Services.

Their labs are located about a block from Victory Monument.

afrims.org

They just finished taking apps for about 4 mol.bio/immunology spots.

Quite honestly, very difficult, and not recommended at all. There are probably less than 6 places that employ foreign molecular biologists (well, actually I can only think off hand of three!).

As noted AFRIMS is probably the best place to get into (salary and support wise). After that, theres Mahidol University which has a couple of places like the wellcome trust unit in the Tropical Medicine department.

http://www.tm.mahidol.ac.th/en/wellcome/index.html

after that it gets really thin. Post-docs are not really a major part of Thai research infrastructure, they are just instituting a few programs to hire them, some of which are (theoretically) open to foreigners.

In all honesty, the guy needs to *really* think about this. He may be better off looking for funding in UK to support an attachment in Thailand for a limited period of time, but he better keep a close eye on the future as a period of research in Thailand could really hurt his CV for longer term prospects.

If its the thought of working in SEA, Singapore is a MUCH (100 times!) better choice. Loads of openings for post docs, significant funding, decent salaries and only 2 hours by plane from Thailand. No language problems etc.

If he wants more specific details, drop me a PM, and I can put him in contact with a friend of mine who is a molecular biologist working in Thailand

-j-

I friend of mine from home is here doing work on infectious diseases as part of her fellowship of her PHd/MD. She is with the W.H.O ( Would health Org) up in Chiang Mai/Rai. Might also try the New National Science Park out in Ransit. They are working on various projects that he might be able to add a hand to. The Universities of course are another choice.I The Chemist at work did the final rewrite of his PhD in BKK and it was quite easy for him to get support.

Archived