Which accent sounds the cutest to a Thai?

bibblies

drogon said:

Agree with spudsmck

until now I just know that some thais find that roman languages sound more "beautiful" than say germanic, but as I did not ask to

200 thais or more I could not take it as a correct statistic.

my 2 satangs

Swiss-German or Gaelic :) and for shure the sound of money! :cover:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually I've asked ALOT of girls if they can hear different accents when farangs speak English to them.....Most can't even tell a German accent from an English one :shakehead

Maybe it is because the girls don't know when German is spoken so they can't compare when a German speck English to them, for example ??? Well, this is how I learn to differentiate English accents from non-English speakers any ways.

I can tell the Japanese, South Asian, French , German, Italian, Australian, American (CA and Southern accent) and British(like BBC accent, :-) ) accent though. But I can't differentiate British accents from various regions.

I once talked on the phone for the first time with a board member whose name I forgot (Hey, it was three years ago, ok.). After having exchange a few sentences, I asked him if he came from Australia. He was stunned and asked me how I knew it. I said, "Your accent gives it away.".

But I couldn't tell an Ozzy accent from the Kiwi one. Stick, would you please help me out ? :-) Although I was given some clues but still I couldn't tell. :-(

For me, Japanese accent is quite difficult for me to understand. Oh, Indian accent too. Come to think of it, African accent also very difficult for me to understand but it also depends on the person who speak.

Umm, which accent is the cutiest in my view ?

French, I guess. :: I like the tonation and it is not so difficult to understand.

I don't think there is a 'cutest', one popularly recognised as one anyhow. I don't think Thais can distinguish between the falang accents, but will know if a Japanese or a Chinese or a Indian is speaking Thai.

I have noticed that French people tend to have the less noticable accent when speaking Thai, probably since there are a few similarities in the sounds they use especially vowels and the rolling 'r'

<< I can tell the Japanese, South Asian, French , German, Italian, Australian, American (CA and Southern accent) and British(like BBC accent, :-) ) accent though. But I can't differentiate British accents from various regions. >>

I have an essentially neutral North American accent, no regional sort of speech. But Thais invariably think I am English or Australian. I suspect it is partly because of the way I dress and act though. Americans are supposed to be loud mouthed, obnoxious and wear jeans all of the time. However, I am polite, neatly dressed ... and obnoxious.

::

p.s. I have been taken for English by Brits on rare occasion, and once was asked by some American tourists what part of Australian I came from. Thai students have also told me "I look Canadian". (The snowshoes, maybe?)

::

• 1 year later...

in my experience probably 90 percent of thais have no idea whatsoever of the difference between various accents/varieties of english.

when thais detect differences in varieties of english, it's usually because of hearing different vocabulary from different speakers, e.g. the vocabulary difference between US english and british are substantial and can be confusing for a non-native speaker used to hearing only one of those two variants...

preahko

Archived