Risk of catching HIV?

A quick question for the board....

Have you ever known of a farang coming to Thailand and becoming extremely ill for over 3 weeks?

My symptoms have remained fairly steady now since July 8-9th. Still have headaches, fever off and on, extreme fatigue, and problems with neck lymph nodes. I also got candidiasis on my tongue over the past week.

Now...I'm assuming this is not HIV as it is supposedly difficult to get from two single exposures....but totally mystified as to what this could be. Two doctors said 'acute pharyngitis' two weeks ago. This cannot be a sore throat.

Anyone know a bloke that has come down with dengue fever or something like that? I'm curious to hear what that was like.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its no wonder youve got Candidiasis since you have been given a few ( i understand?) courses of Antibiotics. They fuck up the good bacteria so the bad onces grow wild. Probiotics and lots of it should be taken while doing antibiotics and in general to keep your gutz healthy (Candida sits also there.) A diet for at least 6 weeks without sugar and yeast and take it easy on fruit (maybe one piece a day) should help you clear it out.

Your symptoms do not sound like Dengue fever. Many strange viruses are to be found in Asia. It can happen just after you travelled since your body's resistance is down with jet lag. This is not HIV either. Do a check to get rid of the fear. It saves you a lot of worrying.

Theres a high chance its a throat infection. I ve had this a few times in Bangkok, as do alot of people sayboo. Kissing lots of thai girls also will increase chance og getting it, since lots of them have coughs. ANother reason I think I was getting it was because of the aircon in rooms taking in poluted air from outside. They nevcer clean these near enough. Add to that the humidity and it would be easy I think to get these infections. I m not sure but this is my gut instinct would tell me.

Sayboo, when i first came to LOS i had a series of throat infections, one which really wiped me out and went on forever....there are some interesting bugs about. Thankfully, i built up resistance and have not been sick at all for over a year...

Dengue fever i've heard of from a friend, totally wiped her out for a month and it can vary in it's severity. There are a few other nice untreatables carried by mosquitos around too at the moment. Haemoragic fever (or something like that) for example. Did you have all your jabs before you left? How soon before you left? I had 6 injections against most things before i came, but only 2 days before i came...i felt rough when i arrived as a result. ..and for a little while after too!

Usual advice applies tho....take vitamins, drink orange juice (the real stuff not concentrate), sleep a lot...get some of that yoghurt type stuff with 'good' bacterial in it etc etc...it sounds like your body is having a real fight to beat whatever it is off....boost everything up...consume protein for energy too....you should be back to your best soon.

A quick question for the board....

Have you ever known of a farang coming to Thailand and becoming extremely ill for over 3 weeks?

My symptoms have remained fairly steady now since July 8-9th. Still have headaches, fever off and on, extreme fatigue, and problems with neck lymph nodes. I also got candidiasis on my tongue over the past week.

Now...I'm assuming this is not HIV as it is supposedly difficult to get from two single exposures....but totally mystified as to what this could be. Two doctors said 'acute pharyngitis' two weeks ago. This cannot be a sore throat.

Anyone know a bloke that has come down with dengue fever or something like that? I'm curious to hear what that was like.

Extreme fatigue, headaces, Fever, swollen Lymph Nodes - among the symptoms of Lyme Disease which 2 of my former co-workers recently got diagnosed with (neither one knew they even had it for the longest time - and both had seen docs previously (in the US) that missed it). Turns out Thailand has Lyme Disease also - just another possibility.

Not sure if you're still in Pattaya but you might want to consider a trip to Bangers and visit a place like Bumrungrad for a more thorough check up.

OTOH like the others, years ago on my first couple of trips I used to come down with pharyngitis / sore throats and fevers quite often (they'd only last for a few days) but also like the others guess I've built up a resistance over time.

Do hope you follow up regardless in letting us all know how this comes out.

• 1 year later...

>He drinks in the tequila bar on soi 4, which is in the carpark after the 7/eleven.

Ah! The Tequila bar on soi 4. Yes, the well known hang out of eminent virologists, retrovirologists and immunologists. Many a night has been spent there quaffing beers and discussing the ability of the HIV gp120 envelope glycoprotein to initiate a signaling cascade that involves the p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase.

oops. Sorry, forgot. Sarcasm is not your strong point. Anyway, the point I am trying to make here is that you met a guy in a bar ( a "top" medical expert *and* a vietnam vet *and* - if you asked him - who probably does a bit of covert work for the CIA on the side) who told you one of the biggest crock of shits going and you took it on board. Ask yourself whether it is likely that a consultant to Bumigrad is likely to "hang out" in a bar and moreover think of investing in a dodgy bar in bangkok?

>But if he really has the reputation that he is suppose to have then he is a top Dr.

And when I am not doing the boring stuff I spend my day doing, I am really an astronaut. Honest.

-j-

Richard Feynman, noted Nobel Physicist, used to hang out in gogo bars... And that was after he was noted (and married). :smirk:

Archived