DONT GO TO AFTER SKOOL

Nervous_Dog

I have never been padd-billed or ripped-off, but maybe it is pure luck (or my good looks maybe?) here are just a few "tips"

I use in the nightlife scene, maybe they do not work at all and I just take ir for granted........

- In clubs/soi33/discos etc........buy yourself a bottle of your favorite poison => no way to be ripped-off

I have no quite a few bottles waiting for me year after year and it is not so pricey.

- in gogo/beer bars, either sign each bill coming up and do not get too drunk....oh yes, always ask the price upon entering the place, then when you are sober make a calcul based on the price of your poison + the LD.

- Last solution: if you do not mind spend a fortune in drinks

=> take a big sheet of paper , write "FREE ATM" on it then put it on your waist.

my 2 satangs

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Zorro said:. Most guys probably don't go through and add up all the chits but i always do and I can tell you they are wrong more often that they should be.

It's a good practice. I guess I've been lucky,cuz on my last 4-weeks of nightly rounds, a cashier added wrong in my favor by 30 baht :: I was profusely thanked for pointing it out. On a different note, I was charged for one lady drink too many. Fortunately, at Cowboy I they put the girls' numbers on the ticket. I didn't even know who the hell she was. When pointed out by the 3 three girls I bought drinks for, I immediately recognized her as a "hanger on" who had tried to cash in on my round (and who had been politely told "not tonight"). She was one of the older ones who certainly knows English...just her own little scam. No problem in getting the ticket discarded by the mamasan/cashier.

Hugh (mak)

As mentioned ? I talked with the manager ? not the owner.

The story I got told is much longer, yes he tried to interfere with the customer(he is not a bouncer type - nice older famous -for Thais- fellow), he told me why they lost him?he thought the cashier which lowered the music level handled the situation well, etc?.

I am a customer to the bars and I appreciate posts about ?bill padding? big times, but this story doesn?t seem right to me.

If something should be wrong with my bill - I personally don't hesitate at all and get straight away the browns involved. (I just recently needed to do it)

Anyway, I very seldom paying Lady drinks there, for me a quite starting place where I get my very well mixed Saeng Som Cokes for a decent price.

I?m still not tired and still amazed to watch with what professional sweetness these girls getting drinks ordered for them.

Hardly seeing guys paying only one lady a drink, most of them 3,4,5 girls at the same time - a few rounds and you bill sky rockets of course.

BTW: I was very surprised that the manager didn?t know about this board ? I gave him the address ? but I?ve my doubt he will make it to an internet Caffe.

Zorro said:

It usually is the cashier that is up to no good in these sort of scams.

Getting ripped off in bars in LOS is common and i think many guys don't know when it is being done.

I would estimate at least 20% of the bills i get are wrong.

The main way it is done from my experience is not by adding extra drinks but by incorrect addition. In many cases it is not a whole lot of money but maybe 100 baht or less but it is very common. Most guys probably don't go through and add up all the chits but i always do and I can tell you they are wrong more often that they should be. When i point out the error to the cashier they do correct it but i always ask how they can make mistakes with a calculator and i can add them up in my head.

As for After Skool I believe it is one of those place where things can get confused very easily with 3 or 4 pooyings rubbing you here there and everywhere and the drinks flowing etc. This sort of confusion creates the ideal atmosphere for rip offs.

Zorro and All,

Have to agree with that 20% error on the bill/tab rate. Anyone who is married or has a steady, or just been the the LOS a lot or a long time will, or should have anyway, notice that the Thais themselves will usually pore over any bill/tab they get. I always see my wife, Sis and family members and Thai friends do this BEFORE paying the bill, and yes, I'd say about 10% to 20% of the time there is some sort of discrepency in the bill. Whether it is lousy mathmatics, deliberate padding, forgetfulness, whatever it is, there is a reason why the Thais themselves double-check a bill in a bar or restaurant when they are there. For those of you who have not noticed, keep an eye out for it. I guarantee you'll soon notice the Thais are doing this constantly. Many times the bill for our food and drinks has been sent back for revision by the wife and family. Usually if it is a big tab something extra will have been added on when this happens. A food you never ordered, never received, and never ate.

If the Thais are doing this themselves all the time I think it would be smart for we farang to take up this habit, and we should have every right to question a bill/tab the same as any Thai would themselves.

In my eyes I see it happening in the bars when it is suspected the farang/s are drunk and not paying much attention, or having too much sanuk to notice it. I see many guys just fork over whatever the bill total is claimed to be without a thought to it, small money for them maybe, but this is a scam a lot of the time in the bars, whether management knows or not who the hell knows. I suspect they wouldn't be involved as it would kill their business if this ever got out. Staff collusion mostly for the most part I feel.

Cent

p.s. Make an experiment. Take four Thai girls you know, make a duplicate bill for each one to add up seperately, and see what totals you get from them all. I'll bet at least one of them will have the bill wrong. Some of the staff that serve us have very little education, and are not math wizards. Although they seem to be able to count every satang they are owed or on their own bills when dining out! :: :D

regular customers

--------------------------

There are no such things. sadly, to them, we are only and always passer-by, no matter how 10 000s of bahts you may have spent patronizing the place.

Their depth of reasoning, let alone appreciation, we will always over-estimate, in any business to customer settings. Some others too.... ::

One thing about all this is confusing me. I thought the old manager, be he German/Austrian/Swiss or whatever - miserable looking git anyway - had retired and been replaced by a considerably younger Brit - maybe 50-ish?

Was he just there temporarily and has 'smiler' returned?

Jack - complete bullshit, as I left to go straight home, and the 2nd time the problem, gee jack - if your the owner, PM me and we can meet ot discuss as the bar had a number of people in it and the owner's where NOT there, been there enough to know, however ffeel free to discuss in private.

DOG

pattaya127 said:

regular customers

--------------------------

There are no such things. sadly, to them, we are only and always passer-by, no matter how 10 000s of bahts you may have spent patronizing the place.

Their depth of reasoning, let alone appreciation, we will always over-estimate, in any business to customer settings. Some others too.... ::

Pattaya127,

You said it all. That is the "bottom line." The smiles mean nothing.

I have to agree with Cent. Been out to many different places, where the bill was wrong. Especially when in a restaurant, and you cancel a dish, or they are out of it. I'd say 50% of the time, I get billed anyway. In Hua Hin last year, Surin girl and I were eating out, the place ran out of crab. The bill came, and low and behold, we got billed for it! Odder yet, it was I who checked the bill, and saw "Bu Paad" in Thai! The waitress was amazed I read it, Surin girl was pissed...doesn't like me to know to much Thai...just an accident? or other? not sure...I think just an accident.

Archived