Kissing and Mononucleosis

happyfarang2547

If you have it once, you generally do not get it again as your body builds up immunity.

Limbo, here is a primer on Mono. It is generally associated with pre-teens in the States.

Description:

Mononucleosis is an illness caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), a member of the herpesvirus family. Similar symptoms and illness are sometimes caused by cytomegalovirus, which is also a member of this family of viruses.

EBV is transmitted through the saliva. Young children can be infected from the saliva of playmates or family members. Adolescents with the virus can spread EBV through kissing (hence its once popular name, "the kissing disease"). Epidemic outbreaks in hospitals and workplaces have occurred.

Most people who have infectious mononucleosis recover completely with no problem, but sometimes complications from EBV infection can occur. These can include blood disorders leading to lowered numbers of red and white blood cells because of decreased production of these cells by the bone marrow, or destruction of red blood cells (hemolytic anemia).

Bell's palsy, a usually temporary condition where there is inflammation of one of the facial nerves resulting in weakened or paralyzed facial muscles on one side of the face, can also result from EBV infection.

Other rare complications of EBV infection include rupture of the spleen, inflammation of the heart muscle (myocarditis), involvement of the central nervous system (aseptic meningitis and encephalitis), and a nervous system disorder known as Guillain-Barré syndrome that can paralyze muscles.

Epstein-Barr virus is usually diagnosed with blood tests. Heterophile antibody levels (antibodies react to infectious organisms in the blood and create immunity) indicate a current infection with EBV. Antibody levels (called "titers") against the EBV virus reveal if there is a current or prior infection from the virus.

Blood tests usually shows an increase in the overall number of white blood cells. Blood can also be examined under a microscope to determine whether there is an increased number of white blood cells called lympocytes. These white blood cells help fight viral infections, and an increased number of "atypical" lymphocytes usually indicates current infection with mononucleosis.

Studies show that most people have been infected with EBV at some point in their lives, and most have few or no symptoms of viral infection.

Prevention:

There is no vaccine for EBV, but prior infection with the virus usually provides long-lasting immunity. Avoiding contact with the saliva or respiratory secretions of people known to have EBV is advisable.

Incubation:

The incubation period is 10 to 60 days; 7 to 14 days is common for children and adolescents.

Source: http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/bacterial_viral/mononucleosis_p2.html

Cheers,

SD

PS -- I dig George Clinton! Cool webpage about him the the P-Funk All Stars here: http://www.duke.edu/~tmc/pfunk.html Not too many white boys go there LOL! We must be special!

• 6 years later...

Mononucleosis is EASILY passed through contact with the saliva of someone who is infected, either through kissing or sharing a drinking glass or eating utensil.

Quoting my primary care physician many years ago, when I had mononucleosis and I mentioned that a coworker had freaked out about me being at work: "I see husbands with mono ALL THE TIME! I see wives with mono ALL THE TIME! Do I EVER! see husband and wife with mono at the same time? NO. Do I EVER! see a husband catch mono from his wife, or a wife catch it from her husband? NO. Mono is not that contagious!"

Quoting my primary care physician many years ago, when I had mononucleosis and I mentioned that a coworker had freaked out about me being at work: "I see husbands with mono ALL THE TIME! I see wives with mono ALL THE TIME! Do I EVER! see husband and wife with mono at the same time? NO. Do I EVER! see a husband catch mono from his wife, or a wife catch it from her husband? NO. Mono is not that contagious!"

Well those husbands shouldn't be kissing each other, and I'd like a video of the wifes kissing please.

Archived