Farangs Targeted by Immigration Police

MrSmit

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

forgive me, the law states official ID. for visitors, a passport. for residents, driver's license, or other official forms of ID, for Thais their identity card. but, legally, something MUST be carried at all times.

A copy of the passport and the entry or VISA page might work, if the cops are not in a bad mood. But officially, it is supposed to be the original copy. They might, take you to the slam, until you could produce an official id. Could a friend get into your hotel safe?

scary thoughts. What would happen if I lost my passport one night, and I was on the way to my embassy to get a replacement?

hmmm, seems like if Kafka had lived in these days he would have an interesting story to write. With Kafka absent, Cent? how about it?

or a guy waking up having turned into a soi dog...

>could it be the snooty locals who want to ethnically cleanse "their" party spot of some bothersome Farangs? They certainly have connections sufficient to achieve such an objective...

Thats an interesting take on things. Given that its particular places (Q and now this one), that might well fit the facts. Nice post.

-j-

DudeleRude,

I carry mine with me now all the time when outside my soi/neighborhood, even here in Surin. They are getting picky, so why go for the hassle? A copy may be seen as forgery/attempt at fraud or an attempt to circumvent the law. And I for one do not want to spend any more time dealing with the cops here than is absolutely necessary. The longer you are in their "custody", and see what you are carrying in cash and credit, the more likely some bright boy in brown will suggest to his buddies "Hey, lets have the farang fund our piss-up for tonight! How much does he have in his wallet? He's rich and can afford it. Party times dudes!" Hopefully the fine will leave you cab fare home. Why go through the trouble? Stick it in a ziplock bag and put it in a zippered or velcroed pocket. When in Rome you are subject to Ceasar's laws, and the arbitrary nature of their enforcement.

What cracks me up and keeps me from getting a Thai driver's license is when I hand my International Driver's License to the cops, along with my passport, they usually just scratch their head in puzzlement, hand everything back, and wave me on. Extremely few around here can read a word of English or have ever even seen an International Driver's License. It gives them a headache just looking at the damned thing and they couldn't be bothered. Worth every penny I paid the theiving cunts at AAA. (50 bucks a year!)

Do make a photocopy of your passport and visa though and keep it somewhere safe in case you lose your passport or have it stolen. Makes it easier for the embassy people to get you your new one. (Who the hell memorizes their passport number?)

For those too stubborn or afraid of losing their passport more power to ya. I'd rather produce it and be on my way then spend a few hours in a Thai police station and waste all that time on the off chance I may lose it. Or do as someone here suggests and invest in the tailor shop putting in velcro on one pocket of your pants, or even making that hide-away pocket inside. (Good idea that is really, and very inexpensive to do really.) The more time one spends going out in the Bangkok nightlife venues the more likely you will eventually run into this there.

JMHO. Yours may vary.

Cent

p.s. If my wife is with me I have her carry it in her zippered pocketbook, which she guards like its Fort Knox. ::

Oh yeah, Cent, I DO carry mine all the time, tucked in my secret pocket. in a ziplock bag. As I mentioned before, even shorts I wear have them.

I also had jackets made with various secret pockets all with zippers. they come in quite handy, and i rarely have to carry a lunch bag or whatever. I remember the Sikh tailor, prodly pointing out:

"Yes, Mr. Dude. We put zippers on every pocket as per your honorable request. We certainly hope they are to your satisfaction, Sir."

even a little narrow mobile phone pocket!

you have to hear an Indian accent to really appreciate this quote.

As for the Thai license v. an International... ALL the way, International. In Asia I have never gotten a ticket with an International one. Too much paperwork to deal with, or too hard to really track you down if need be. It is hard to drive on the wrong side of the road, though.

Peace!

Dude_Le_Rude said:

I hate to point out the obvious, but not carrying your passport means you are breaking the law, therefore, a criminal.

Driving daily around Chumpon an seeing all these idiots wanting to get killed on the road, not respecting any road law, yep, they are all criminals and should be jailed, now...

We are all criminals, didn't you know that?

Dude_Le_Rude said:

forgive me, the law states official ID. for visitors, a passport. for residents, driver's license, or other official forms of ID, for Thais their identity card. but, legally, something MUST be carried at all times. ....

Might you reference where that law is found? Have you actually seen it?

Funny this thread. I understand a question was asked about carrying passport or no, but for a board where going off-topic is a welcome and "national" sport, no one has commented on what seems to me the ominous way people who have contributed to the economy of a country, individually as tourists and collectively as western nations (both often at once, see tsunami), are treated, rudely and without respect.

A new poll in the making?: How much are you willing to take before you get fucking tired of being handled as if not having an ID on you or just being a western-faced guy entitle authorities to treat you like cattle and criminals, pre-judgingly and on call.

If answering "a lot", ignore this post.... ::

Archived